Kiwi Kar Konundrums - Parky2 adventures so far

Parky

Enjoy the moving day, the wheels guy sounds a bit odd, but wait till Sunday. My workday drive is very like yours except the road is narrower, there is often fog, the hills are lower and not much white stuff, only one topping this year. But they do produce lots of geothermal steam which is white (and hot).

P.S. My car desperately needs a wash too.

Wheels guy wanted to touch base Sunday.  Emailed him this morning with some possible meeting times, nothing heard.  Seems wierd, here’s an offer for my wheels, would you like to pay that figure?  Yes indeed I would.  Ok then

Wheels man texted me this morning.  Said he was free after 5.30 but still gave me nowhere to meet.  Eventually he sent me his address - misspelt - but near enough to an actual address.  So figuring oddness I took Parky Jr as muscle and told him it was a driving lesson.

Anyhoo, got there and the guy was sound as.  He bought them for a Mitsi Galant he was working on but the stud pattern on it was different.  Wheeled em out, all good, and $300 later I now possess some wheels with brand new tyres.  Happy days.

In amongst the move I managed to do some swapping.  Old tyres were shite, one on the wear markers (naughty Parky, never let that happen before) but now I have this:

C3E41326-FFD5-4E7A-8B68-6D60D7F50FED.jpeg
That’s a set of Enkei alloys off something Mitsubishi shaped although no idea what.  Who cares, 300 bucks with a brand new set of Laufenn boots (budget Hankooks, probably Ventus Primes from 10 years ago).  

Car is so quiet now, tracks nice and doesn’t fidget as much as it did.  Plus the extra diameter is pretty much spot on - 100kph on the speedo used to be 87kph on the sat nav.  Now it’s 98kph so pretty much spot on.  Plus they look nice too.  

Considering a set of 175/70/13’s (almost right diameter but not quite) would have been $450  or so with fitting and shipping I consider this a bargain.  

Actually getting attached to it.  Have a dent puller kit now so might have a crack once exams and house stuff is levelled off.

• 1 month later...

Tried some paintless dent removal.  I have renamed it pointless dent removal as it was a lot of faffing for no result whatsoever.  I think it might have been the cheap ass glue gun came with cheap ass glue sticks - Captain and Tenille believed that "Love will keep us together" which is just as well as Ozito branded glue sticks certainly wont.  One tug and straight off.  A bit like being alone with Mums Kays catalogue lingerie section in the late eighties.

So I have bought some Bostik ones to see if they work any better and will report back.

Brake and clutch fluid look like gravy. Clutch is easy enough, I'll use my suction gun (which my wife thought was a penis pump) and suck it all through while Junior or Mrs P top up the reservoir.  Might treat myself to a pressurised bleed kit when I get paid for the brakes and its a good time to change the rear wheel cylinders.  Mrs P is going to be delighted with me spending another day on "that embarrassing shitheap".  Should get some shoes but as usual theres two types and I'll need to see whats what with the drum off.

In other news the Suzi failed its warrant which was disappointing.  Not too bad - front mounts utterly fucked which may explain the front end rattle and the pulling to the left even after alignment.  $120 each for aftermarket bits or $85 for genuine Suzuki so I got them.  Also have a rear caliper leak so that needs rebuilding which the local place will sort for me.  Overall not too bad.  Rest of it is tip top apparently.

Expecting a lump of cash at the end of the month so looking around for something else as a family car while the Mitsi continues as my commuter.  Might get one of these

Mitsubishi ASX 4

Oil leak fixed - gearbox filler plug.  Solved with a copper washer and some red gasket stuff.  The mating surface on the bolt is a kind of moulded on washer and that had distorted somehow.  Took the opportunity to top the box up and surprisingly it took the entire litre of GL4 Total 75/80 that I had.  Threw in some molybdenum snake oil but still no sign of any oil coming out.  

All I had available was some Comma mineral EP80 GL5 spec so figuring that it’s completely wrong I put a little of that in.  Almost immediately we had oil trickling out the filler hole (matron) so it’s probably got a couple of percent of the wrong spec oil in there.  Fuck it, it’s a 23 year old heap.  Tightened up and cleaned up the oily box (‘ere stop messing about) so if it leaks again, we’ll be able to see it.  That’s the royal “we” of course.  

Also gravity bled the clutch with some green crap from Supercheap.  It was dot4 and cheaper than anything else so again the “it’s 23 years old” logic applied.  Took a while but gravy is out and E.T’s jizz now operates my clutch.  Pretty easy to do, god sometimes I love old cars.

Checked the brake fluid - it’s filthy.  Took a while to do as some monkey had done the reservoir cap tighter that a tight thing.  Couldn’t shift it by hand so I resorted to the age old hammer and screwdriver technique.  Gentle (ahem) tapping saw it move a little and off it came.  I had some syringes lying about so sucked some fluid out and replaced with new.  The extra 12ml of new dot4 will make all the difference.....

Took it for a spin and immediately noticed the gear selection was a lot better.  The mechanical clank which had developed shifting first to second was gone, in fact all the gears seemed easier so the extra oil has helped.  That leak must have been going a while to have lost over a litre - the old house had a gravel parking area so any leaks wouldn’t have been apparent whereas nice new house has a shiny concrete drive.  Well at least it used to, it now has a lovely selection of dark patches on it.  Sorry Mrs P.   Clutch fluid change obviously worked ok because I noticed no difference at all on that score.  

Now to get ready for a barbecue at Mrs P’s friends house.  I might do the cooking!  

49D0AFEC-35D0-4178-8856-9EC5DD53ACD5.jpeg

19 hours ago, Parky said:

Tried some paintless dent removal.  I have renamed it pointless dent removal as it was a lot of faffing for no result whatsoever.  I think it might have been the cheap ass glue gun came with cheap ass glue sticks - Captain and Tenille believed that "Love will keep us together" which is just as well as Ozito branded glue sticks certainly wont.  One tug and straight off.  A bit like being alone with Mums Kays catalogue lingerie section in the late eighties.

So I have bought some Bostik ones to see if they work any better and will report back.

And here is my report.  Slightly better but still a general waste of time.  One dink in the door is a little better I think but otherwise a lot of messing around for limited results.  

Might try hammers - WCPGW?

6DB8736C-B1B2-4096-AB1E-D5C720F580DA.jpeg

KLF IS GONNA ROCK YA!

klf.jpeg

Suzi went in for fixing today so the local place gave us a hire car.  314000kms on the clock, but as tight as a drum.  If it wasnt for the drivers seat having no spring left you'd think it was a lot younger.  Anyone looking for no nonsense cheap shite cant fail with a Corolla.  Highly valued here but cheap as chips in the UK.  The preferred daily of the retired in the UK means they are generally well looked after.   I should buy a container and ship them all back over here for $$$$$$$

This has to be the one good shot of the Mitsi I have ever got!

Ordering garage shelves later this week - 3m60 of these sturdy bitches

428A7498-C91D-4A04-A44E-C1C5DC781276.jpeg

And once they’re up, phase one of dream garage commences.  I thought I would use the visuals to combine my Essex roots with my Motorsport appreciation and Francophile tendencies.  What do you reckon on this A2 sized awesomeness?

A1CBAC7F-3698-4122-8247-8E6C35B53718.jpeg

On the subject of awesomeness this was parked at the cheapo supermarket.  Registration (tax) expired in November but who cares when you roll this?

E3B0F45A-B7E4-4A39-B31F-D706F0DA4F69.jpeg

I would drive this around listening to Kraftwerk until the sun goes down 

In other news the hunt is on for a new car.  I can’t say I have narrowed it down much but here’s the sort of choices I am mulling over.  

One - 2012 onwards Corolla.  Ideal for NZ, plenty of parts and service support, shouldn’t go wrong.  Really expensive though as so highly prized here bizarrely.  Probably a bit dull and unlikely to light my fire although dull reliability has its own attractions.  It would be like a cheese sandwich, hits the spot every time but will never win any prizes

6C75A44D-CED0-4EEF-96A1-79D827BE03A5.jpeg

Option two would be to put down a big deposit on a new Suzuki Swift and finance the remainder.  Like these, popular here and fun but I know I’ll end up letting Mrs P have it and I get the 2009 Sport as my daily runner.  Not a massive problem.  Most expensive option.  It’s a wagyu beef dish from Nobu.

E3AA15B4-FA59-4922-9D08-FF052B54F11D.png
Now the stupid option is to get one of these.  My budget stretches to an R56 (they are mentally expensive here, probably 3x what you would pay in the U.K.) but I would love to have another Mini, even if I spend all day worrying about cam chain failure.  Most are autos but if I could find a manual I would seriously consider.  Again have the issue of Mrs P really liking them too so might not see as much of it as I would like.  It would have to be BRG this time.  Enjoyable like a kebab from a van outside a nightclub but you’ll always be worried about hepatitis.

A129A592-69BE-4C8C-9CB4-CEDD94586E2E.jpeg

Which brings us to the final option.  A potential world of pain but every time it let me down I would look at the immobile heap and smile.  Local mechanics wouldn’t touch it and anything that needs replacing will take four months to arrive from Italy and cost heaps.  All seem to be tiptronic or selespeed here so there’s a world of pain there too.  But life’s too short for boring cars.  It’s a wonderful pasta dish from a charming cafe where you never know if the owner is going to kiss or kill you

70388447-FE5D-4A04-B605-9D8A82D032B9.jpeg

So cheese sandwich, wagyu beef, Kebab or Pasta?

Need to be sensible.  If I had my way it would be a Lancer Evolution or Impreza WRX for max hoonage but can’t be arsed with all the attention 

And yeah we have Versas.  And Tiidas and one called the Wingroad which is a car designed by a committee of non car people on an etch-a-sketch

98041811-0D2E-42B4-B387-E4353607A401.jpeg

Be still my beating Disappointment

3 hours ago, Jon said:

I'm in Auckland this week and should have a bit of free time one evening mid week, if you'd like me to take a look at this:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3440902468

Hubba Hubba.  No need to have a look on my behalf but appreciate the thought!  It is verrrrrrry nice but if I went Alfa it would have to be Guilietta.

I wish I'd brought Mrs P's R56 Mini over.  We sold it to her brother in law and apart from a Battery its been perfectly behaved

5 hours ago, hairnet said:

let the boss pick cos you cant obvs be trusted :D

crv or summat 

summat japanese but not obvs scooby outback or ignis or a honda atv 4 seat thing cos it never rains in kiwi does ut :D

peace bro

Why cant Toyota Levins be cheap, plentiful and all in excellent condition?

1678524320.jpg

This isnt too bad and whilst its only at $3400 it has a day to go and will go for way more I think

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/toyota/levin/listing/3424537739?bof=MpnS1aJM