Kiwi Kar Konundrums - Parky2 adventures so far

Parky

In the top corner of the screen is a little sticker showing the month and the date that the warrant of fitness expires.  I’m alright as it runs to September 2021 oh hang on a minute THATS RIGHT ABOUT NOW.  WARRANT!  WE’VE FORGOTTEN THE WARRANT!!!

33D38A6A-6B0A-40B5-926F-1EAA867BF4E0.jpeg

A quick chat with Anton at the local place reveals that if I drop it off first thing Friday he may be able to look at it “at some point” which is Anton speak for “yeah drop it in at 9, that’ll be done be 10”

All seems ok but I suspect the rear shocks are going to play silly buggers this time.  Of course they aren’t cheap at $160 each plus fitting , although they look like a piece of piss to do.  I would do them except I don’t have spring compressors or any big ass breaker bars in case of seized parts so I’ll give Anton a hundred bucks or so for him to take the responsibility.

Hope it passes - need it for work on Monday!

Nothing unusual going on with your family, it takes a few years to settle down if you stay.

The covid was supposed to be a hospital appointment, but turned into a drive-in at the sports ground due to someone who may have had contact with someone who had it stopping at the local BP for gas. I'm thoroughly enjoying the current lockdown too as getting full pay + pension .

Had to buy a new battery for the Maxima yesterday as the old one's slow death got more serious

Well the Warrant inspector seemed a bit old

7137C7E5-BE79-4422-8F4D-660DF1F2CD80.jpeg

And despite yelling “None shall pass” I ended up with a certificate with “Pass” written on it.  That’s another six months shitheapery to look forward to.

Celebrated by respraying the black bits on the door.  Oh dear.  One side has enough orange peel to interest the man from Del Monte while the other looks good apart from the colossal run right in the middle.  I did everything right so it’s obviously the Australian spray paint.  Never forgave us for Ned Kelly.  Not to be confused with Ned Beatty.

So do I make like Steely Dan and do it again or break out Lily the Pinks medicinal compound?  Fuck it, can’t be arsed masking up so cloths and compound to follow, see what we end up with.

In a way I was sort of hoping it would need tyres and rear shocks so I could justifiably buy some new ones

On 9/2/2021 at 8:16 AM, STUNO said:

Nothing unusual going on with your family, it takes a few years to settle down if you stay.

The covid was supposed to be a hospital appointment, but turned into a drive-in at the sports ground due to someone who may have had contact with someone who had it stopping at the local BP for gas. I'm thoroughly enjoying the current lockdown too as getting full pay + pension .

Had to buy a new battery for the Maxima yesterday as the old one's slow death got more serious

Maximas and Camrys are becoming quite appealing.  Something about a big wafty barge with a decent stereo and an autobox for going to work

Maxi is NOT economical, but is luvverly on a trip. You only need 2 litres in a good sized car to be really comfy, they can get up and go in most cases.  I only have a 5 min commute so only really use it properly to go out of town. Camry in 4 cyl style is plenty. We have a lot of traffic on SH1 , particularly heavy trucks on the Auckland Wellington run and lots of logging trucks so getting around them easily is important.

• 3 weeks later...

Not much going on with it although last week I got shunted up the back by a total arse.  Gap in traffic which I considered too smol was considered by him to be large enough.  So he pulled away and I didn’t.  

He was quite cross but after letting him rant while smiling and nodding I pointed out to him that running into the back of someone is a contravention of the 1998 Land Traffic Act (probably) and I would very much like his insurance details so I can claim.  He immediately claimed it was nothing and he could fix it in ten minutes but I asked is this damage?  Was it there before?  Did you do it?  Fine then, insurance please!  He went quiet after that.  

Damage is limited to a dent under the rear light.  Slide hammer will sort.  Bumper is deformed a bit so will need to be taken off and refitted so might wait until the nice weather arrives and do it then.  Can’t be arsed with insurance as they will write it off and load future premiums.

In other news it seems my car wasn’t recalled for the Takata airbag nonsense.  In Australia Mitsubishi bought the cars back off the owners for a generous value as they couldn’t get replacement parts for mid nineties cars, including Mirages.  Here they have recalled 1996-99 Lancers (same car but saloon) but not Mirages which is mad because they almost certainly have the same airbags (same wheel and dash).  Either way let’s see if Mitsubishi NZ will give me a new airbag or buy it back off me for more than I paid.  

Only other thing I did was buy two new Suzuki oil filters and an air filter for Mrs P’s weapon.  $55 the lot for genuine items from Suzuki.  Ryco air filter alone from Supercheap is  $50 on its own

• 3 weeks later...

Still haven’t heard from Mitsubishi or NZ transport authority about airbag.  Poor show really.  It seems that Australians and Brits are worth more than Kiwis.  

Might have to approach “Fair Go” (kiwi consumer programme) and stand next to my car looking sad (not hard to do) saying “Mitsubishi want to kill me”.  That said I wouldn’t be surprised if the airbag hadn’t been removed already and replaced with a rolled up Crusaders rugby jersey.  She’ll be right.....

Anyway have built up war chest for new wheels.  Can’t do much yet as have very important exam next month and maybe buying a house on Thursday at auction so will get that taken care of first.

This is the place.  Double internal garage, walking distance to Lassiters, Harold and Madge next door.  It’s so fucking antipodean.  It’s the sort of house that is rarely impressed by the size of your knife.  If there’s any white tail spiders in there I am buying it and burning it down.

DDBC922A-757B-4A1A-935A-D23B6C6F806E.jpeg

Good luck for the auction! Hopefully being on Thursday might draw in a few less punters.

I was almost wondering if there were two double garages but that extra bit on the left is blocked in by a tiny hedge. My guess is it's  a 'rumpus room' - another firm Kiwi favourite!

An upstairs in a house in an earthquake zone?????  Are you insane sir?????

Going to go as Mike Brewer tomorrow.  850 grand?  It’s a bit steep......look, I’m not gonna lie to ya, I’ve got 500 in my pocket, cash, right now, shake my hand and ‘ave a deal wiv me, go on

’Old aht yer ‘and!

On 10/17/2021 at 8:05 PM, Jon said:

Good luck for the auction! Hopefully being on Thursday might draw in a few less punters.

I was almost wondering if there were two double garages but that extra bit on the left is blocked in by a tiny hedge. My guess is it's  a 'rumpus room' - another firm Kiwi favourite!

I’ve pinched a leopard from the local zoo and will release it in the car park 20 minutes before the auction starts.  It’s a high risk strategy but I can run faster than Mrs P

The leopard was called Colin.  Very bitey.  But he just fucked straight off over the road into the park.  No idea where it went but there was a lot of police activity at that primary school when we came out of the auction.....

That was a disaster.  Previous ones saw some ramshackle places go for strong money but gradually the punters disappeared which boded well.  Until the doors opened for lot 13 - my target - and about thirty people piled in.

Bidding started roughly where I expected and within 30 seconds had gone over my maximum as five bidders battled it out.  Eventually it went to an old couple who paid $100k over budget to secure it as a present for their 28 year old daughter and her new husband.  

2E1E07F0-3111-4938-A89D-917B223F91F2.jpeg
Leopards.  Incompetent spotty twats.  Yes, you may well look disappointed, you let yourself down, you let me down, the families of those children.....now go into the park and have a good look at yourself.

Agrophobic silverback Gorilla next time

• 2 weeks later...

Yes i know you’re sold.  To me you jive assed mutha!

3ABBDB84-CF9D-4918-B235-69ED36E1BF73.jpeg

Four bed doubled garaged slice of Ramsey Street.  Redecorated and like a show home.  Lots of competition but we outbid and won.  That and the Komodo Dragon

Been a good week.  Have this horrific exam to do which consists of 50% assessment and 50% exam.  Got my assessment back and scored 45/50 on one and 40/50 on two.  A High distinction and a distinction.  None too shabby.  Means I only need 15% on the exam to register a pass but we can do better than that.  

Slight fly in the ointment is I had a blood test last week and the local clinic called me to “invite” me in to discuss results.  They may just want to congratulate me on my lowish cholesterol levels or comment on my lowish red cell count or tell me I am riddled with syphillis and TB.  Maybe I am the source of Covid?  All will be revealed at 10am tomorrow.

Driving related news consists of Mitsi Kaput doing a sterling job of training up a heavy footed 17 year old.  He is doing alright and I am quite comfy driving with him.  Tends to forget what order to do things (signalling for turns while in the turn, that sort of stuff) but balancing clutches and changing manually Is stupid really.  He had a few lessons on Mrs P’s auto but I am making him learn manual because he can get his full licence quicker.  And if he goes back to the uk He’ll need to know how to drive a stick

• 2 weeks later...

Well today I pick up the keys to my house.  Joyous.  Of course this is me we are talking about so something has to go wrong and it has - Mrs P, unhappy with her job for ages decided a ridiculous row with her boss was a step too far and quit.  Hooray!  Massive expenditure and an income gone! Not too worried though, we have some reserves plus she’s a smart cookie whose skills are rare and in demand so she’ll probably get something on twice the money in a week.  

Celebrated by doing something stupid.  Lots to do with a move isn’t there?  So to add complexity I decided to accept a fixed price offer on these:

12CB57A0-857F-49AF-881A-284ED793BB7C.png

CCFFECC5-60E2-4F49-94F2-9241DA350458.png

99D688BF-34F4-4B3D-84C3-49325E219BD2.png
You see these were justifiable.  Mitsi Kaput is going to have to stick around a little longer so the eight year old balding shit brand undersized mismatched boots have got to be changed.  

Replacement tyres would be about $300 for crap brand boots, plus shipping on top, fitting and disposal would have seen a final bill of around $420.  I just paid $300 for 4 brand new Laufenn brand rings (Hankook budget brand, perfectly ok) which is pretty good but also got four refurbed Mitsi alloys too.  Fourteen inchers with 65 section tyres which means.....

(1) wheels are 12mm wider.  Think of the extra grip!  And being 35mm taller means a whopping 17mm gain in ground clearance and 17mm loss in arch gap.
(2) circumference of the correct wheels is 1817mm.  These are 1872mm.  Bigger wheels bitches!  Should get the speedo accuracy sorted
(3) when I do sell the car I will take these off and flog them for $250 all day long

AM I GOING TO NEED SPECIAL WHEEL NUTS????

Shiny aren’t they?  Like putting Laboutins on a mangy Goat.  Will get them next week and whack em on before driving around with the seat lowered, my arm out the window and my shades on while blaring out Old Dirty Bastard.  Thug life Christchurch....

Oh and the exams this week.

First one, the New Zealand Stockmarket.  Already had 45/50 on the assessment so with an overall pass mark of 50% I only needed 6/50 to get the required points.  Always risky second guessing but I definitely got that.  One 10 mark question was familiar so I would have picked up at least six points on that alone.  Plus the multi choices were relatively familiar,  I will be literally gobsmacked if I failed it.

Second one.  NZ Market laws and regulation.  Had 40/50 on the assessment so not too much to do here but JESUS FUCKING H CHRIST this was a tough one.  I literally found myself looking at it thinking “what the actual?  That wasn’t in the material”. Nevertheless the examiner will hopefully enjoy my essay on what I did for my holidays because I literally had nothing.  Guessed all but two of the multi choices, waffled around a few others, missed out one 15 mark question altogether as I had NO IDEA about it at all.  I might as well have entered a Ukrainian language exam.  Added up what I thought was right and it’s a bit dicey this one.  Quarter marks will scrape me by but I can’t be sure I got that.  

And what do I have now?  The New Zealand Stock Exchange exam.  It’s only 30 minutes.  To answer 30 questions.  With a 90% pass mark.  And it’s scheduled for (drum roll please) CHRISTMAS EVE!!!  Yay!!!! 

At least if I pass it I will be clear of study and able to actually trade as a stockbroker starting 2022

Not sure if the wheels are gonna happen.  Emailed the guy for payment info and collection details but he’s being a bit elusive.  Basically the wheels are at his house in a nearby town but he is insistent we do the handover at the factory where he works on the other side of town.  Plus he wants me to pay him electronically now, I’ve said cash on collection or electronic on collection.  Won’t give me a contact number, and has said email me Sunday and we’ll sort something.  

I explained I am in the middle of moving so a time and place would be pretty useful But he thinks an email Sunday morning will get us all sorted.  Think he works at a BMW restoration place.  Why they have Mitsi wheels I have no idea, maybe a refurb for a client who never returned for them.  Thinking about it maybe that’s the issue, perhaps the seller doesn’t want me going round his gaff if it all gets a bit naughty...

7am here.  Might go wash Mrs P’s car