Kiwi Kar Konundrums - Parky2 adventures so far

Parky

55 minutes ago, Parky said:

No, they were all generally that bad from the smaller manufacturers.  Mitsi and similar just didn’t have the budget of the major players, especially here in NZ where the importer wasn’t necessarily a major conglomerate with a mega budget.  Can you imagine Ford UK making something this bad?  They could afford Brian May!  No way the guy shipping in Mirages here would be able to afford either off the Finn Brothers (there aren’t any other musicians here).

Tomorrow I have to make a big decision.  As the two finance jobs I went for haven’t come back to me yet I now face having to turn down a full time management Covid job and risk not getting either of the financial roles.  No idea what to do as I know I could end up with nothing - if I turn Covid down you can bet I won’t be given any more shifts as a casual, and if the two finance ones say no after all I am back at square one.  Again.....

Can you not just take the covid one then patch it if you get offered a finance one?

That’s a fair point that.  I have to say when I was interviewing I could tell I scored a heap of brownie points for doing the Covid stuff.  Benefit of the community, always goes down well and to be honest that’s why I was doing it. I could have earned the same stacking shelves in The Warehouse for an easier life.

I actually like it, I meet some amazing people, push them around, carry them, point them to the correct places and on occasion run along corridors to get them adrenaline and defibrillators, it’s all good.  

Finance folk know I need an answer today if poss Or at least an indication of when a decision will be made.  One of the finance ones is really dragging their heels and I wasn’t all that happy about their MD.  Got a lot of red lights going off with him, gut feel tells me it’s the wrong place to go.  The second one is the one I want but my competition for it is vastly more experienced so it comes down to whether my personality can offset that.  So I might not get either of them anyway!!!

Agreed.  I think the stockbroker is going to fall over and the adviser has had two weeks to do the papers and hasn’t.  Plus the District Health Board has a ton of jobs on the go and as an existing staff member I have a better shot of getting one of those.  Be absolutely made as roles are pretty secure, benefits are good too.

Worse case?  Job ends in January and I am out on my arse.  At least I can demonstrate some work history using my savvy and skills to do something totally outside my comfort zone which demonstrates flexibility as well as dedicating myself to something to benefit the community,  it’s a million brownie points at future interviews.  And I do like the job, it’s problem solving, organisation, systems, and client contact which are all things I am good at.  Several of the women I work with have said how natural I am with people - I’m not at all, it is learned behaviour from sales.  I flick a switch on arrival and suddenly I am Leslie Crowther or Bob Monkhouse.  Full game show host for the shop floor, I am often tempted to announce my arrival by shouting “And now.......live from Norwich.......it’s Vaccination of the Century!!!”

When the shift is over I revert to my regular Harold Steptoe.

Most recent economy run is showing 553kms travelled with another four marks on the gauge.  Might be enough to get to work today so we should get to 610 kms.  Not as good on 95 Octane but I have had the aircon on a fair bit (Accidentally forgot it was on)

Shit, had better leave for the shift!!!

Thanks fella.  It’s been seven months of hard slog and I was starting to get a bit despondent but this is literally the job I have always wanted.  Having had a generally shit time career wise for the last 15 years I am hopeful I have given karma enough to justify 15 years of smooth sailing from now on.  It might sound arrogant but Christ alive I think I deserve it.

Mito would be ideal.  Or Honda Legend, go big or go home.

Supercheap flyer just came through the post.  Nulon 5/30 synth for the Zuke is $30 and 10/30 semi for the Mitsi is $29.  That’ll do pig, that’ll do.  They might have some cheap Sakura filters in by now, the entire NZ group had a couple of hundred on order from Oz but they hadn’t arrived yet so maybe they’re in now.  Don’t need them, just like having bits stashed when they are cheap.  Usually the standard prices are around double those figures.

Castrol Edge is cheap - $58 for 5l of long life 5/30 meeting VW 504/507.  That’s usually about a ton.  But it’s still twice the Nulon price.  They are running a banner to “change your oil and filter yourself for just $109!” But I seem to be able to do it for $43 per car.  MIL paid $170 for hers!

Oooh fuck.  Nearly had a major problem with that job.

Back in March I had a few provisional chats with an adviser firm here.  One thing that was discussed was how the adviser registration rules in NZ were about to become more complex so she suggested I register as an adviser with her firm to beat the changes.  This was done and was incredibly easy considering I wasn’t qualified and had no experience here.

The chats with this lady’s firm didnt result in anything as the job kept changing every time we spoke, plus other people in the business had to sign off and when I ran the numbers it just didn’t work so I told her that I was going to look at other things.  She was fine with that as I think she had perhaps promised a few things she didn’t have the authority to promise.  Not a problem and she said she would remove my registration.

No more was said.  Until the Stockbroker contacted my recruitment consultant going mental about withholding information.  “Parky hadn’t said anything about operating as an adviser and failure to disclose this is a serious contractual issue”. Oh shit,  failure to disclose is a serious breach in our industry.  I hadn’t disclosed operating as an adviser because I hadn’t operated as one.  Nothing ever went beyond chats over coffees and I never mentioned anything as there was nothing to mention,  if anything if I had done some advising I would have definitely mentioned that as it would have been an advantage at the interview stage.  Turns out the lady I spoke to hadn’t removed my registration so it looked as if I was a fully fledged adviser at her firm.  The assumption is failure to mention that could be indicative of being sacked or barred for misconduct.  

Explained it all and got the registration removed and sorted but shit, that little admin oversight could have led to that offer being withdrawn.  New employer wasn’t happy for sure but am seeing them for coffee Monday to discuss terms so we should be alright I hope.  

Not my fault but a sobering reminder that sometimes you can’t rely on others and a tiny oversight can have big consequences down the track...

Well the Covid job was a stinker tonight.  We need 12 on a shift to be comfortable, ten at a minimum.  Tonight we had nine so it was a bit tight and meant we had to do a lot of multi tasking and I was so busy I didn’t get to take any breaks.  Knackering.  Plus we had three collapses so I was busy with carrying folk to emergency rooms, fetching defibrillators and adrenaline, getting on the blower for emergency ambulances and all that jazz.  Quite draining emotionally, god knows how nurses cope with it all day every day.

Spoke to the roster people to see how we were fixed tomorrow.  Said “I hope we haven’t got nine for a busy day like Saturday” and she laughed nervously.  We don’t have nine.  

We have five.   And I, a casual with three weeks experience am down as site director as I will be the most senior person there.

Fuck a doodle do.  And the second shift has three.  So there will be a lot of pressure to do a double shift which I have already decided I will do for at least quadruple regular site director pay, no less.

Nobody had better collapse tomorrow......

Good to see this is all starting to come together for you, dude.

The peak of my Australasian employment was a Direct Mail Marketing Operative (junk mail trundler) handing out flyers for Supercheap Auto (and Coles, Woolworths, Target etc), so you're deffo a few rungs up the ladder now.

Onwards and upwards!

A valuable service!  If it wasn’t for your groundwork, our mail operatives wouldn’t today be bringing me such joyous news as Diamond Plate front mat sets for a mere 22 Jacindas from Supercheap Auto, purveyors of fine tat for the discerning Gentlemen’s motor carriage

• 2 weeks later...

Covid jab no.1 for me today. My overall impression was of an overabundance of people doing paperwork and then checking against that that I knew who I was and how old I was,even though the First form I filled in was the one they referred to when asking. Even took a record of my car's plate no. They were closing up for the day as I left at 1:15 pm because "we have run out".

Also my Father was a stockbroker for many years.

We don’t do that.  We literally take their name, address, and date of birth on arrival and that’s it.  When they go to a booth the vaccinator takes their name just to make sure the right person is in front of them and they know what to call them, and then again on the observations bit we ask their name so we know what name to put on their vaccination card.  

Runnng out at 1.15pm - I presume it was a walk in clinic ?

Staff are mostly volunteers now.  Students doing it for free in order to improve their chances of a job at the end of the process.  Can’t blame the Health Board for allowing extra workers in if they don’t cost anything.  I am training students this week to do my job.  Funnily enough I haven’t been given any paid shifts next week.....

There’s a lot of family stuff going on so updates might be sporadic.  Mrs P wants to go back to the UK, my daughter dropped out of college as she wasn’t gelling with it (autism support my arse, fucking nothing) and my son just dropped out of school at 17 so we have to find him another.  Which means moving fast.  Possibly back to blighty.  Which ironically I don’t want to do so some major family shit going on here.  Basically my wife and kids miss their friends and their old life but fuck knows why, they moaned incessantly about it. Wife even admitted she basically forced us all to come here as she missed he mum and didn’t like our house much

Wife wants me to get a mortgage sorted pronto here so we can buy a place but I am reluctant because having been here before I know she’ll want to go back to the uk shortly after moving in.. 

Moving here was supposed to make my life less stressful in order to benefit my health.  That was one of the selling points - I was quite resistant at first because I knew what to expect, I even highlighted it could fuck up my sons schooling but I was told to stop being over dramatic.  He didn’t want to come and I can’t help but feel awful for Screwing up his teenage years.  He won’t speak to me.

They may go, I may stay here.  Except I probably can’t for visa purposes so may be dragged back against my will.  

Never, ever marry someone from overseas.  Given the chance to do it all again I would marry a local girl, buy a house locally and bring up my family locally.  My parents did that, they never had to deal with the stuff I have to deal with.

Lockdown not helping.  Everyone is in a filthy mood with each other

As Sir Tom would say “It’s not unusual”

There is an elderly lady lives just over the road from me.  All of a sudden a younger man and woman appeared on the scene.

one day the chap stopped me in the street, I had a branded work shirt on for a trade show and he recognised the brand.

He voluntarily told me that he and his wife (who was from NZ) had moved in with his Mum temporarily, having sold their house in prep to a move to NZ.  

Anyway, eventually they moved out and his personal plate appeared on a diff car, only to be seen occasionally, I assumed in the custody of other family. 

After a couple of years, the young couple re-appeared shortly followed by their private plate on the car they were using.

they’ve been back a couple of years now.  Other than the occasional acknowledgment wave, i’ve not had spoken comms with the guy.  

It’s FA to do with me and I only know because he told me about his wife bring NZ and the move out there.