AX Weirdness

13 hours ago, AxWomble said:

Being a ph2 AX (or mk2, whatever it’s called) this one is fairly solidly built - everything’s relative of course, the interior does still make the plastic from inside a box of Milk Tray look pretty robust! Anything is better than ancient, sticky soft touch plastics in an old VAG product, so I’ll take scratchy hard plastics any day of the week! 

That is so true, I sold AXs in 1987 when they first came to the UK and then again from 1994 when the Mk2 was current. What an improvement a Mk2 is in terms of rattles, squeaks and feel of the dash.

I thought I would never want a MK1 but somehow 30 years on they have a charm of their own and I changed my MK2 for a MK1, although it is not my every day car or I would have stuck with a MK2.

On 12/28/2020 at 9:18 PM, UltraWomble said:

Blower fan resistor - PSA make them out of the foil in Wriglys Juicy Fruit packs - 20 years on they still go pop for fun.

About 45 minutes of a job to replace - Ive done a Berlingo one and a ZX one.

Its a standard part over quite a lot of the PSA range that doesnt have AC/Climate and costs about a tenner - when the fail they fail open ( ie zero reistance) so its either ON of off

Brilliant stuff, thank you! I’ve come across this issue in several more modern VWs (UP!s and Skoda Citigos) and various Zafirii with their e plodding dashboards, but I’d assumed that Citröen would have made it an integral part with the blower motor - glad to have been proved wrong! Will pull it today and see what I find. 

On 12/28/2020 at 10:40 PM, Noel Tidybeard said:

fan resistor only affects speeds 1 & 2 as 3 is full fat 12v

Aye, same as various others I’ve replaced the resistor on, a shame as i hardly ever run it on full blast but (being a damp old Citröen) I run it on #1 nearly constantly! 

On 12/28/2020 at 11:43 PM, Eyersey1234 said:

My great aunt and uncle bought a new Mk1 AX 10E 3dr in 1990 and had that car up to 2003 when my great uncle died, I think its now scrapped as no trace at DVLA. RIP G335 NAT. Yours looks lovely OP. 

I’d have loved a proper, non special edition base model but this one (with its sunroof, body coloured bumpers and water graphics) is fairly close, at a fraction of the rarity and price! They are cara that need to be cared for, especially at this age, and I reckon most have succumbed to mechanical neglect or rust by now, not having the same level of ruggedness as equivalent Japanese offerings. All that being said, ours only has 2 bits of welding - a patch beneath the driver’s side footwell, and a 2” square plate on the o/s wheel arch next to the washer bottle filler neck. The tester for our last MOT made 3 remarks - first, that he couldn’t remember the last time he tested one, second that he couldn’t actually remember the last time he saw one, and third that it was remarkably clean and sound underneath.

The outer edges of the boot floor will need attention within the next year sadly, and I can’t weld (and don’t have the facilities or equipment to do so, with my currently employment) so a small outlay will be required to ensure its ongoing longevity. Sealing up the rusty patches with leftover brown silicone grouting is the current interim measure to stop the boot floor flooding on wet motorways! 

On 12/29/2020 at 10:27 AM, Six-cylinder said:

That is so true, I sold AXs in 1987 when they first came to the UK and then again from 1994 when the Mk2 was current. What an improvement a Mk2 is in terms of rattles, squeaks and feel of the dash.

I thought I would never want a MK1 but somehow 30 years on they have a charm of their own and I changed my MK2 for a MK1, although it is not my every day car or I would have stuck with a MK2.

It really isn’t a bad car for refinement - makes my dad’s old Seicento seem incredibly unstable in comparison. When Miss AxWomble and I picked up the car in Feb, we collected it from a yard, round which we had our only test drive of the car. Our first drive on the dual carriageway (having thrashed it up and down the lane 10 times to wake up the brakes which initially pulled you up to a veeeeeeeeery gentle stop with no lockup at 10 mph, on gravel!) we were amazed how refined it was - we had been expecting  something much more tinny, but it wasn’t significantly  worse than her brother’s Corsa C which we had a lift in that morning. This one is our everyday car and it does an awful lot of miles up and down between our very spread out families, so I’m glad it has the edge in refinement over a mk1! 

I can't tell from the pics but if you have a dealer fit sunroof that lifts out then there could be a buildup of crud on the seal, my Sunny suffered from that and it was a 20 minute job to sort it.

There's usually a red catch that slides across to unlatch the glass panel, then it lifts up at the back and the two tongues at the front slide out, allowing the glass to lift free.

On 12/31/2020 at 1:27 PM, spartacus said:

I can't tell from the pics but if you have a dealer fit sunroof that lifts out then there could be a buildup of crud on the seal, my Sunny suffered from that and it was a 20 minute job to sort it.

There's usually a red catch that slides across to unlatch the glass panel, then it lifts up at the back and the two tongues at the front slide out, allowing the glass to lift free.

Your suspicion is correct! It is indeed a dealer fit sunroof, it can be removed - we only did it once, having underestimated the blinding effect of the sun once the shaded glass was out! No gunge on the seal when I checked, and the drains are clear. The seal is old and pretty tough and leathery so I suspect that a little water crept under it overnight, froze, thawed once I was inside with the heater on, and then proceeded to drip down as I started throwing it around a roundabout. Will start trawling eBay for a NOS seal I reckon! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 5:16 PM, sickboy said:

This advert is nothing to do with me, but if it's a good running engine, perhaps a cheap fix for your engine's smoking/running issues?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/car-replacement-parts/citroen-ax-engine-60-000-miles-plus-4-speed-gearbox-plus-other-spares/1341705808

That is the stuff of dreams! Annoyingly although that is only about ten miles from my home up until a year ago, I’m currently tied into work in the big smoke and can’t quite justify travel of that distance at the moment! “Yes Ossifer, this is my once daily exercise” 😂  many thanks for the thought though! On that note, it’s gone all French (in a good way) this week, and hasn’t used a drop of oil in 300 miles. Go figure!