Classic mini (Tina) I will get her finished

garellikatia

Good morning guys, 

I'm going to start a project thread in the hope that it gives me the motivation to finish her and hopefully some enjoyment for every one reading.  

Some history of the car: 

Bought in 2005 as my first car, with 62620 miles on it. lightly restored and had it as my daily drive for 6 years until I went to work in Spain for a "season" in the baelerics. 

Came home and it's been MOT'd once since then. With more commitments and less time and a need to have a modern car to drive all over the country with work, she's often neglected.

When it comes to MOT time, she often needs more and more work, because generally I have to go away with work quite often and leaving her standing never does it any good! 

My Intentions a year ago were to get it quick enough to auto test, so I ended up giving her a roll cage, rally lighting, foot rests, cheap timing equipment etc...

Hence the rally style look at the minute. 

However my true dream is to drive to Italy and revisit the iconic Italian job scenes! From the 60's movie in it. 

Jobs for this MOT include: 

New clutch

Fit slave cylinder and hoses

Fit master cylinder O-rings 

Repair or replace drivers side diff casing (some how managed to crack whilst jacking the car off to repair the clutch) - don't ask me how! I'm just glad it wasn't the gear box that cracked. 

This was a little into, More to come as It unravels 

IMG_20200413_162828~2.jpg

34 minutes ago, garellikatia said:

Good morning guys, 

I'm going to start a project thread in the hope that it gives me the motivation to finish her and hopefully some enjoyment for every one reading.  

Some history of the car: 

Bought in 2005 as my first car, with 62620 miles on it. lightly restored and had it as my daily drive for 6 years until I went to work in Spain for a "season" in the baelerics. 

Came home and it's been MOT'd once since then. With more commitments and less time and a need to have a modern car to drive all over the country with work, she's often neglected.

When it comes to MOT time, she often needs more and more work, because generally I have to go away with work quite often and leaving her standing never does it any good! 

My Intentions a year ago were to get it quick enough to auto test, so I ended up giving her a roll cage, rally lighting, foot rests, cheap timing equipment etc...

Hence the rally style look at the minute. 

However my true dream is to drive to Italy and revisit the iconic Italian job scenes! From the 60's movie in it. 

Jobs for this MOT include: 

New clutch

Fit slave cylinder and hoses

Fit master cylinder O-rings 

Repair or replace drivers side diff casing (some how managed to crack whilst jacking the car off to repair the clutch) - don't ask me how! I'm just glad it wasn't the gear box that cracked. 

This was a little into, More to come as It unravels 

IMG_20200413_162828~2.jpg

In the six years I've owner her she's been a plethora of colours. Using a £20 can of synthetic enamel paint and a roller haha!  The white is the original colour. And satin black pound shop rattle cans was not my proudest moment

24967_414654749922_5078442_n.jpg

1930965_37670474922_8939_n.jpg

540842_10151291165739923_538491326_n.jpg

As it stands the clutch housing is off awaiting the new clutch, tonight's job (when the Mrs and kids are in bed) is to take off the starter motor , to allow me to lock the flywheel In place and remove it, revealing the clutch 

I also need to clean the subframe from above so no contamination gets inside 

IMG_20201129_111313.jpg

IMG_20201129_111401.jpg

Good luck with the flywheel.  The job I dread the most on Minis.

I have an original Churchill puller, which weighs an absolute ton and has never failed to shift one.  The cheapies just don't cut it.  All I would suggest is to try and tighten it a bit every day, turning the whole assembly and twatting it with a nice heavy hammer, through the starter motor hole.

1 hour ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

Good luck with the flywheel.  The job I dread the most on Minis.

I have an original Churchill puller, which weighs an absolute ton and has never failed to shift one.  The cheapies just don't cut it.  All I would suggest is to try and tighten it a bit every day, turning the whole assembly and twatting it with a nice heavy hammer, through the starter motor hole.

Absolutely! Although sometimes I think that's half the fun.  Thanks for your advice as soon as I get another puller I will give it a whirl! You get to really know the car inside and out doing jobs like this don't ya. It seems like they never make tools like they used to before now just seems to be rubbish Chinese crap. I have noticed they have started to remanufacture the Churchill pullers on eBay does it look like this by any chance because I might invest: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mini-Metro-Allegro-ADO16-FLYWHEEL-Puller-18G1381-BMC-Leyland/284026498350?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11051.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feuid%3Dff1859ecf91047c3811d6e39ea43de55%26bu%3D43486690020%26segname%3D11051%26crd%3D20201201035433%26osub%3D-1~1%26ch%3Dosgood%26loc%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F284026498350%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu%2Cch%3Dch%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Curl%3Dloc%2Cosub%3Dosub%26srcrot%3De11051.m43.l1123%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3D381e2bd91760aad375d7466cfffdacaa&ul_noapp=true&pageci=1371dd2d-9ee9-4f3c-9279-84e46f1b7d33

Tbf I'd use the one you bought as a pattern (if it fits properly) and make your own. That way you can get something that can take a bit of punishment  and get the job done. I wouldn't buy another even if it claims to be the Churchill one re-manned cos it could be just as shite as the one you have 👍

1 hour ago, Bradders59 said:

A lovely little car. Funnily my wifes name is Tina, and her first car was a red 1964 Mini. She still has a lot of love for it, looking back through rose tinted specs.

Thank you, it's a lovely name :) the name for the mini  came about when we were accending a hill that steep in Buxton Derbyshire, that two of the four passengers had to get out and push to the song simply the best by Tina turner haha. Would she ever buy another mini? 

16 minutes ago, groovylee said:

I vaguely remember something about a washer or a key that sometimes gets forgotten when trying to remove the flywheel, which then makes it impossible to remove. Might be misremembering though...

Yea your right,it's the little keyway washer that sits under the bolt :) I double checked to make sure

1 hour ago, Matty said:

Tbf I'd use the one you bought as a pattern (if it fits properly) and make your own. That way you can get something that can take a bit of punishment  and get the job done. I wouldn't buy another even if it claims to be the Churchill one re-manned cos it could be just as shite as the one you have 👍

Ahh I've already returned the puller this morning, tbh though it ended up that twisted that there was no wayyyy I could have made a pattern from it. Good idea though!! 

They can be shit to get off. I made a puller from some 12mm boiler plate (and have just remembered my mate still has it, bugger). Patience, a big hammer and shock and unlock type spray is your friend here. Just remembered that I have a brand new ultralight flywheel from minisport sat in the sat. I could sell it, or use it as an excuse to buy another mini.

I used a 12mm plate with just the 3 x 3/8 bolts. no centre hole.

Take big washer off flywheel bolt, screw flywheel bolt back in but not quite up to flywheel. It may bottom, I forget.

Fit plate, tighten 3/8" bolts as hard as you dare so plate is pressed hard on flywheel bolt head.

Hit plate in middle of the bolt heads with lump hammer. Re tighten 3/8" bolts and hit plate again.

I have been known to drill a big hole through the inner wing and stick a long bar through to hit as a last resort.

8 hours ago, garellikatia said:

Thank you, it's a lovely name :) the name for the mini  came about when we were accending a hill that steep in Buxton Derbyshire, that two of the four passengers had to get out and push to the song simply the best by Tina turner haha. Would she ever buy another mini? 

She says she would love another one. If I had the money to buy her one though, I would buy myself a Boxster. 😂

9 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

They can be shit to get off. I made a puller from some 12mm boiler plate (and have just remembered my mate still has it, bugger). Patience, a big hammer and shock and unlock type spray is your friend here. Just remembered that I have a brand new ultralight flywheel from minisport sat in the sat. I could sell it, or use it as an excuse to buy another mini.

Haha buying another mini seems like a perfectly reasonable solution, why else would you have kept it?  ;)

7 hours ago, Mally said:

I used a 12mm plate with just the 3 x 3/8 bolts. no centre hole.

Take big washer off flywheel bolt, screw flywheel bolt back in but not quite up to flywheel. It may bottom, I forget.

Fit plate, tighten 3/8" bolts as hard as you dare so plate is pressed hard on flywheel bolt head.

Hit plate in middle of the bolt heads with lump hammer. Re tighten 3/8" bolts and hit plate again.

I have been known to drill a big hole through the inner wing and stick a long bar through to hit as a last resort.

Thanks mate, I've bought another puller but will give these ideas a try ! Hoping it comes off before Christmas haha

Success!! The flywheel finally came off, using a range of techniques aforementioned by you guys. I was trying for quite a while before I decided to pull the puller back on and then crank down on it as hard as I could, I was forcing the breaker bar down with my knee when I made a massive bang. I honestly thought I'd just snapped the extension bar as it wouldn't be the first time, but low and behold it released the flywheel. I bought the "Churchill" remanufactured puller and it is absolutely fantastic for the money. I honestly didn't expect it to be so good. Not doubting the seller, but at that price point, I didn't think it possible to make such good quality for so cheap. Here's a couple of pictures that don't do it justice really. Oh and the clutch plate, that looks fairly worn to me so I'm confident that caused the slipping. Not seen any oil from the clutch oil seal either. IMG-20201210-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.54ad1faafb4149164cf4783011952177.jpeg