Maestro, please. - Garages

vulgalour

6 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

Fackin oops.

1417054668_IMG_20201112_111045broad.jpg.5b71c13d12406795c47b8958d2ed39f0.thumb.jpg.ae76de48f4484938f0a83f424dfefecf.jpg

My goal was not to buy any more cars but with the Lanchester out of action while we work through it and make it safe to use, and the Princess out of action and needing the engine to be removed (a job I am procrastinating about, and when I'm motivated am thwarted by schedule and weather conflicts) it was getting more obvious that I needed some personal transport.  Something basic and reliable that I know my way around, that's going to be cheap to buy and run.  This is an ideal candidate, on paper.

Whether I really can just use it as An Car or will end up getting all finicky about making it nice remains to be seen.  I just want some hasslefree pootling for a few months and normally Maestros are just that.

See this is what happens when you make your end of year tat account before December/the end of the year! :mrgreen:

on a more serious note, I look forward to your posts on it :) 

I dont think there are many Maestro's on the forum? so will make for an interesting read :) 

and A series powered FTW I still really want to drive something A or B series powered,

(if we did not have bloody ULEZ id have shown the for sale listing to my mum and see if I could convince her to buy it for getting to work and back :) )

11 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

The Maestro would have felt at home in that car park when it was new.  Spice Hut was a Happy Eater then. And yes as you suspect a lot nearer Buckingham than Nottingham.

And even closer to Milton Keynes on the A422 behind the now Esso garage/ carwash.

IMG_20201112_111143 broad.jpg

5 hours ago, vulgalour said:

I don't know where Spice Hut is, I suspect not Nottingham since the car is coming from Buckingham.

Ah, I had assumed that building was the place that used to be a little chef at the top of detling hill with you being maidstone way.

After a closer look, clearly not!

Mind you, been years since I was that way.

Well done on the maestro.

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I'm interested as to how a 180K-mile A-series is going to hold up as a daily runner.  Mind you, apart from increased oil consumption A-serieses seem to just keep on going.

Just fine. They get a bit knocky on the bottom end when cold, smoke like a tramp steamer and have crummy hot oil pressure but so long as it's got coolant and oil it'll soldier on to 250-300k before needing major remedial work. The later 80's ones had significant improvements in metallurgy compared to the 60's and 70's ones.

Phil

Excellent!  I was thinking about this car a lot yesterday.

In 2000, we went on a family holiday to Orkney - I was 12.  Stromness Car Hire specifically promised a 'brand new Renault' to my Dad.  We get off the ferry and... nope.  Of course, at this point you're over a barrel.

1.3 Maestro in red, E-reg - just like this one.

It really was an utter pile.  Dad reversed it into a concrete pillar ('oh well, that's at least knocked some rust off') and we had a song about how shit it was.  I thought it was brilliant and for the three weeks we were there, it took us everywhere we needed to go, reliably and economically.  Seeing this one has brought that holiday back and I'm really glad that somebody has taken this on.  It's  brilliant.

9 hours ago, Ben_O said:

Ah, I had assumed that building was the place that used to be a little chef at the top of detling hill with you being maidstone way.

After a closer look, clearly not!

Mind you, been years since I was that way.

Well done on the maestro.

Give it time, it might end up there one day. 

20201129_080146.thumb.jpg.840e3a9e6a86824cde07fc56e7caedca.jpg

• vulgalour changed the title to Maestro, please. - Garages

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By SiC
      Skip to this post for the purchase:

I've been keeping an eye out for a cheap runaround recently. Our Civic has been doing the brunt of our journeys and in 7months of ownership we've covered nearly 10k miles. Also where  Mrs SiC works has lost its car park and it's been left on main roads. As we don't really want it damaged, it's not ideal. 
       So I've been keeping an eye out for something essentially to replace the Fabia I had. Small, easy to park and cheap to buy+run. Second gen (2008 on) Seat Ibiza 1.4 is on the cards and can be had for under 2k
       Anyway yesterday we were out and about. I was doing a browse of Autotrader and found a really cheap A3 2.0 TFSi. Basically a Golf GTi in an Audi suit but much cheaper. This in particular was half many go for retail. As we passed, I went to see it.
       TL;DR Unfortunately the dealer had morals. Someone else was travelling from Bournemouth and he gave them first refusal. Shame as it drove well, had an inch stack of history and even Mrs SiC gave her (rare) thumbs up for it. Did have rusty front wings and duct tape over it, but that's fine for what it'll be used for.

After this, it got me thinking that while I like the idea of a cheap to run car, I'll get bored of it. Even though a grand or two is not a lot nowadays, it's still enough. I've now got it in my head I want something decently fast. But there isn't a lot around for that sort of money.
       Basically the criteria is:
        - small and thus easy to park (i.e. when I'm late to the train)
        - sub 2k and ideally less is better
        - CAZ exempt so basically petrol euro 4 on
        - not too ridiculous on fuel - 30+ and really 35+ mpg
        - light steering as Mrs SiC gets annoyed with heavy to drive cars 
        - bodywork condition unimportant but not to the degree of just come out of a banger race
       There isn't a lot that meet those requirements. Putting a search into Autotrader of sub 8sec 0-60 and sub 2k brings back a lot of one car model. Despite their age now, Mrs SiC gives the nod and like them. That vehicle (if you can't read titles) is the TT mk1. 
       (Bonnet up picture deliberate as many have this as their default position)

I used to hate these. I keep saying I hate VAG. I also hate my job but I keep going back to every day. I mean it could be that I'm just a grumpy fucker that says he hates everything but doesn't actually.
       Anyway like I say I hate work when I'm not at it, I enjoy it immensely when I'm there. Likewise when I'm sat in a VAG product, I do enjoy the experience. Every VAG vehicle Mrs SiC has driven she's liked a lot. Even reluctantly at first (because they are so butt ugly) she actually quite liked the Fabia MK1.
       So I know something like this is a safe bet that she'll drive it. The looks have soften off in my eyes and I do quite fancy a TT Mk1. Or maybe I just enjoy inflicting pain on myself too much. Gives me something to be grumpy and moan about.
       There are a few contenders out there that I want to take a look at, any tips on what I should look out for?
       I'm after critical problems here. Door locks/regulators, dodgy switchgear and such are par for course on this age VAG. That I'm expecting to be broken.
       Thinking probably 1.8t with the 180bhp engine. Ideally no Quattro Haldex that undoubtedly has been neglected.
       Or any other similar suggestions that meet the above criteria!
    • By 320touring
      A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, The Burd and I went to see the Skizzer to start getting a MK1 Golf Convertible that had been off the road for 10years..
      After a couple of sessions in deepest darkest Wales , coupled with some sterling help and fettling by Skizzer himself, it was time for us to head down and bring the thing back up.

This went well:
      New tyres were procured and fitted

The in-game tank pump was pulled out and a new filter fitted

Then I got in touch with my Inuit side, using brand new* magnets to undertake "tank shite" fishing

A full check over and a couple of test drives showed it fit to play.
      We set off for sunny Oswestry, only to have both front calipers sticking after 120 miles. Some water and time to collect down saw them free off and cause no further problems.

Upon getting just past Tebay, it started running rough - nicking into Todhills rest area and luzzing in 10L of fuel had it running bang on for the next 70miles before it died.
      This was the final scene on the way home.

I got to bed at 00:45, and left it to sit until today.
    • By Dave_Q
      None of my vehicles are really interesting enough for their own thread, so I'm going for a tat blog style consolidated thread.

The modern* - Citroen Berlingo 2.0 HDi

The best and only photo I have of it.
      Generally reliable but showing it's 153k miles in various areas.
      It's good at hauling people and things around, that's about all I can say.
      Current status - off road for fixing of torrential oil leak and floppy gear change.

The classic* - BMW 318iS

Photo stolen from seller's ad.
      A recent £292 ebay purchase.
      I thought I would strip it out and do some track days but after driving it for a while I'm not sure now.
      112k miles, some sort of service history, far from a creampuff but hasn't been messed about with like so many.
      Check out the orange indicators and standard 15 inch rims. SOAVE.
      Current status - daily use.

Motorbike 1 - Honda VFR750

Has done me well as a 'first big bike' but it's replacement is already lined up.
      Current status - Awoken from winter slumber and with MOT station pending results tomorrow.

Motorbike 2 - Honda Fireblade

Bought cheap as needs gearbox looking at - jumps out of second (they all do that if they've been ragged sir.)
      Current status - gearbox repair is after Berlingo on to-do list, hoping for on the road by June.

So there they are. Not very interesting but I will update the thread with my with my various spannerings/misadventures/getting bored and selling them all etc.
    • By mat_the_cat
      A mate of mine at work has just restored this, and now it's (just about) finished, is selling it. He wants what seems like a fair price for it, and it might be my only chance to indulge a boyhood dream before values climb too high. And hopefully I shouldn't lose out!
      Is there anyone around who knows the values they actually sell for? Obviously I've looked at adverts and completed eBay listings, but don't know if they reflect reality!

• By rickvw72
      Hi all, I’m going to try to keep this updated as a diary of work done on my old Fourtrak. 
      I bought this a few years ago but have only recently got going on it properly, with several other projects on the go, times been scarce.
      Ill start with the main job, the rear crossmember. When I bought the truck this tube had snapped on the drivers side. This ruptured the brake pipes, and ruined all the already tired suspension bushes.
      So, out with the crossmember...
      The original is round tube, the new 3mm wall box section, it actually holds the anti tramp bars. 
      Yes the Fourtrak has a 5 linked rear suspension, and an LSD. Because race car!
      I didn’t take many pics at this time, so I’m trying to improve this and maybe a thread will motivate me to document it.