Talk to me about........Mk6 Fiesta Zetec-S 1.6 16v (petrol)

EssDeeWon

In my opinion an unmolested one, like that looks like a very smart thing. 

Big engine in small car, suggests that it could be unstressed. 

Sister had a mk4, mk5 and a mk7 and now a mk8 possibly all 1.25 engines, and I think they were a little underpowered for the hill she lives at the top of.  

I'd always go for the least stressed version if I could afford the insurance. 

My sister had the 1.4 80bhp mk6 and it felt capable and happy enough even on the motorway. The 1.6 16v is 100bhp and the quickest you can get in this generation bar the ST. I have owned two mk6.5 1.6 TDCI's, cheap tax and only a second slower or so to 60mph according to the figures, the torque helps it feel nippy, also no DPF which means this probably my last diesel. They are super cheap to run on fuel and the tax is £30 but getting rarer now in Zetec S trim

I have the st150 which is the 2 litre duratec.  If the zetec is suspended anything like the st then it will be pretty hard, crashy and noisy. But (and its a big one) these cars are hilarious. Like a car sized training shoe. Just brilliant brilliant fun. Also durable, easy to work on and don't seem to suffer from rot. Spot on styling wise as well. In my opinion a much better looking car than the mk7.

Tldr, get it done, you won't regret it

Thanks!!  I can imagine they pull pretty well having a 1.6 16v in a little fiesta.  Trying to find one that is...

• not modified or 'tweaked'
  • not being sold by a chavvy 20 year old who's ragged it around for the last two years with 3 other mates on board and spent £0 on it
  • not being sold by a  'dealer' claiming FSH means last couple of MOT certs and a bill for 1 new tyre in 2017
  • isn't tatty and filthy dirty inside

....Is the challenge.

Why am I looking at these? well I have some parking where I live but only for a small car so something small but pokey and easy to punt on if in clean original tidy condition, like any Ford hot hatch, a clean standard example should get enquiries before you've finished writing the ad. Its only some fun while I live here and something to run around in.  The big Rover is parked on a driveway away from my flat.

This very much reminds me of when I was looking at MK4 XR3i's in the early 2000's, plenty to choose from but all throw up question marks for one reason or another. Snotters a plenty.

Renault Clio 172/182? Lower miles will cost a little more money than the Fiesta ZS but supposedly a riot to drive. Always wanted one when I was young but being a student at the time meant settling for the 1.2 16v which was a decent car and gave no bother. The days when you were excited to have remote locking, previous car didn't even have central locking, a cd player and the windows were predictably 'keep fit', Although the college car park was a wash with 1.0 Corsa's,  1.1 Saxo's and 106's etc at least the Fiesta 1.8TDdi had a least a bit of poke about it. 

Clio I think needs cambelt every 5 years or 70k. Not as cheap as some cars to do I believe.

Closest I got was fitting the wheels to mine though.....

JzaatUGh.jpg

My brother in law has one, fitted with headlamp eyebrow things and 18" wheels. He never services it (he doesn't understand the difference between an MOT and a service) but it keeps going.

Bad points from his one - the headlights get mega bad cataracts, and the driveshaft oil seals don't, ummm, seal? any more so it leaks gearbox oil, not lots, but some. All the time. Because its a ford, they saved 1p per car by not fitting a drain plug to the IB5 gearbox, so we're a bit stuck re refilling to the correct level. I took the executive decision that too much oil would be less bad than none at all, and put about 350ml in last time it was with me, and since it is constantly leaking out it'll drop to the right level eventually, but it means putting magic snake oil in is hard. Not sure if this is endemic, or its just his one. 

He loves it though, I suspect the performance may be slightly blunted by the masses of litter he takes everywhere with him but there. Not my car. 

I had a Mk5 zetec s with the 1.6 engine in. It was great for the month I owned it. I presume it's the same engine in the Mk6 it certainly was in the more insurance friendly MK1.5 focus that replaced it.

Unfortunately mine developed a fatal fault on its last drive. Where looking at the windscreen showed the sky at the bottom and the road at the top....

So overall I'm of no real help at all other than to say go for it, warm fiesta is always a good laugh.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:04 PM, EssDeeWon said:

If any of you ford pervs know about these things. The 1.6 16v petrol.

Example of one here

ford-fiesta-2006-804l.jpg.326ec12f656b79b2feb18a35d7f9960c.jpg

My mate has one as his daily driver for getting between customer sites. He much preferred it over the ST150 as the ride is much more comfortable and find that he can make just as much progress with the Zetec-S. Owned it for years as his beater car and finds little reason to replace it. 

He also currently owns a vRS, Elise, Evora and a V12V. Take that as you want. 

I had one for a year or so. Thought it was a tremendous looking wee car and a decent steer. Mine had been lowered by the PO, much to the detriment of ride comfort and that poised feeling all good fords have. The engine was OK but a bit flat; easily the most dissapointing part of the car. Prior to the Zetec S, I had a unmolested 1.4, which was a sweeter thing to drive with only a little less shove. f515d2e96b896ef01427856593f815f5.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk