RichardKs wanderings: PT Cruiser or SLK? The MOTs are passed, so... dilemma!

RichardK

10 minutes ago, gadgetgricey said:

Better than mine as the clock bulb works. If you fancy a laugh have a look at process to replace bulb.
Really loved mine, enjoy it.

Someone's fitted a thing that clamps to the vent and distorted one of the vent vanes - I suspect the bulb replacement falls into that category...

But then again I have replaced Avantime rev counter bulbs /without removing the dash/.

• RichardK changed the title to I seem to have acquired a car (a different kind of XJ to the ones I usually go for, though the colour's right)

Mesh grille was a dealer fit option, could get a lower one that matched as well, on these, X Types and S Types.

Not cheap either!

I'd love a diesel as they're pretty good on fuel, but the 3.0 petrol isn't far behind tbh. 

They are reliable old buses, and really do handle well as they're so light.

I want a C5 or a XJ to replace my S60 I think, just worried about finding something that's been as looked after as mine has 😑

2 minutes ago, Cento16v said:

Mesh grille was a dealer fit option, could get a lower one that matched as well, on these, X Types and S Types.

Not cheap either!

I'd love a diesel as they're pretty good on fuel, but the 3.0 petrol isn't far behind tbh. 

They are reliable old buses, and really do handle well as they're so light.

I want a C5 or a XJ to replace my S60 I think, just worried about finding something that's been as looked after as mine has 😑

I suspect mine isn't a dealer-fit one, unless they dealer-warped it - I'll have a proper look in daylight/when it's not freezing. I also think this car is too long for my garage (the Jeep is too tall).

TBH I'd run a mile from a 2.7D, too many horror stories and I had one in a brand new C6. 35mpg / 2.150Kg or thereabouts wasn't bad, but the bogging down at roundabouts drove me nuts. Apparently this 3.0 Ford Jaguar V6 is quite good? It sounds alright - no particularly odd noises. Actually no noises of note at all on the drive back.

Just now, RichardK said:

I suspect mine isn't a dealer-fit one, unless they dealer-warped it - I'll have a proper look in daylight/when it's not freezing. I also think this car is too long for my garage (the Jeep is too tall).

TBH I'd run a mile from a 2.7D, too many horror stories and I had one in a brand new C6. 35mpg / 2.150Kg or thereabouts wasn't bad, but the bogging down at roundabouts drove me nuts. Apparently this 3.0 Ford Jaguar V6 is quite good? It sounds alright - no particularly odd noises. Actually no noises of note at all on the drive back.

The 3.0 is a decent engine, the 2.7d is ok in the XJ, its quite light and not as stressed as it is in the C6, most of the crank issues (but not all) seem to be in the Land Rovers or in the later 3.0 tdv6 in the Jags.

I know my way round Jags due to my past so I'm much less afraid of them breaking than any other cars 😂

The PO had it for about five years looking at the V5, but disused for a while maybe. It's not got a storied history, but it doesn't seem too bad.

How horrific are these to work on? It failed MoT on a front airspring bush and that didn't look horrible and wasn't overly expensive judging by the bill - I am thinking heater/cooling system maintenance, particularly just giving it a proper flush/coolant change and thinking of all the things that go wrong on 16 year old complicated cars. The low coolant light thing is common on lots of cars, but as much as I hope it's a sticking sensor or float, it makes me want to make sure the coolant is doing what it should.

Biggest surprise: I haven't had a car insured since August 2019.

Called DirectLine. £694 (yes, I have two lots of full NCB. With them. And house insurance with them. For now).

Meerkats? £209. I don't even care if the company is terrible (eSure), that's three months of DirectLine.

Floats in expansion tanks sticking is very common.

Suspension bushes is a bi annual event unless proper parts are used to replace whats on it.

They're easy to work on, loads of room and pretty cheap for parts now as well. Get a decent scan tool, I've bought an Autel Bluetooth one since I got my Disco 3 and its great for 50 quid.

They need a good battery or spurious codes can start coming up.

15 hours ago, Cento16v said:

I like the wheels on yours as well, think they're from a facelift car, 19's?

No idea. Round. Mostly.

(Yes. 19s with Pirellis on. Tyred-looking (geddit) but with decent tread. I suspect it's been sitting so long some new one would make a disproportionate difference).

(I'll check in the morning, I don't think they're hideous but I have no idea what a 3.0 SE at this age should have. It rode well enough even over level crossings, made the air-sprung Defender seem even worse than I already think it is).

didn't want one, and it's certainly not the sort of car I'd choose if I were out spending money, or the version of said car I'd choose (V8 all the way for me).

It has had a short time to impress, and achieved that. It couldn't be more removed from the old XJ40s I've driven. Now, whether I'd want to stick with this one, I am not sure. I don't know it yet. It's cold and dark and I'm old and grumpy without my lovely big workshop that I used to have.

I'd definitely give a lot more thought to an X350 now I've experienced one though. Very impressed that the air suspension seems to suspend, the steering has nice weight and feedback, and the CD changer works even if the display backlight is dimmer than a Government 'expert'.

There is a short window during which I may be tempted with other vehicles if anyone wants this, the main caveats being that I'd really need a comparable length of MOT and not-insane insurance.

I had a choice of vehicles I could have accepted for 'stuff' and this was the one that appealed most, but none of them were things I would have chosen of my own volition, I like 4x4s, convertibles and Volvo estates or combinations thereof (except for 4x4 Volvo estates because their transfer boxes are made of cheese by the time they're worth this little).

I have a feeling that if I have a few sunny days and weekends, and can find a replacement mirror without spending more than a decent bottle of whisky, then I will accept that it cost pennies to insure, didn't require me to spend any money to acquire, and is 12 months of 'owning a car other people think is interesting'.

182K old British cars should not be this planted or refined unless they come with a big folder full of bills and were photographed on a white background.

Holy shit road tax got expensive.

Well, that won't be going anywhere else until 1st December, then (1st window of opportunity to tempt me with summat else).

If it stays I'll probably shove one of my private plates on. Second window of opportunity before I do that...

14 hours ago, RichardK said:

A distance
Far from your wallet

It actually does look good. Not great, but then, if it looked great it would probably be worth something.

7959DE75-E9E3-46A8-BB43-BDF80E46C835.thumb.JPG.f835647f83ecd54e56d813ebe6a7bfe2.JPG

IMG_1589.thumb.JPG.0e4ea9a7acc67f49321f5e2d671b9929.JPG

IMG_1590.thumb.JPG.7be6b8bbdec409f0bb62cbef3e79fdd9.JPG

2004 called:

"SHIT! WARN THEM ABOUT FARAGE! AND BREXIT! AND 2020! AND ED SHEERAN!"

Pick one.

"ED SHEERAN!"

IMG_1595.thumb.JPG.37096c26d1ec91a27a99282a2d25b942.JPG

IMG_1598.thumb.JPG.0908fb2d0cae672fe7a70865c96e79ea.JPG

Which one will I wash first?

IMG_1562.thumb.JPG.ecf01fe29ef0c3a0022c51e364557fcd.JPG

Looks a lovely fens sky there. 

Cracking car, but my priority on these are the cooling systems.  Loads of people talk about faulty electrics until they find out the sensor was right and they just haven't spotted the tiny leak in the stupid plastic header tank until it becomes a big one.  The Jag heads give it a 10% boost with a more relaxed power band and all that aluminium means you get better mpg than my smaller, heavier s type. 

14 hours ago, RichardK said:

I don't even care if the company is terrible (eSure), that's three months of DirectLine.

eSure is the only insurance company in my living memory who actually reduced the annual premium as one would expect come renewal time with the addition of the NCB, rather than unjustifiably increase the premium year on year. Can't fault them - they cover the 420, no issues at all. That's an insurance WIN right there.

50 minutes ago, colino said:

Cracking car, but my priority on these are the cooling systems.  Loads of people talk about faulty electrics until they find out the sensor was right and they just haven't spotted the tiny leak in the stupid plastic header tank until it becomes a big one.  The Jag heads give it a 10% boost with a more relaxed power band and all that aluminium means you get better mpg than my smaller, heavier s type. 

That is also my priority. I've had a look at a few forums and I am thinking that if I get a warm day, I will check over everything I can. If I still have the car by the time there's a warm day. But I can't smell antifreeze leak smells and it doesn't seem to be leaking. It may need antifreeze adding - I think  I will be safe using OAT in this and it won't have jellyfying stuff lurking?

It's actually growing on me. I went to look at it this morning and the mesh grille does look factory, just slightly damaged, and I want to free off the rear sun blind. Going to pop it on a battery conditioner the way I used to maintain my SLK.

21 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

eSure is the only insurance company in my living memory who actually reduced the annual premium as one would expect come renewal time with the addition of the NCB, rather than unjustifiably increase the premium year on year. Can't fault them - they cover the 420, no issues at all. That's an insurance WIN right there.

They confirmed my 20 years NCB. Can I sell the baby meerkat for more than the insurance still?

1 hour ago, 2flags said:

The tax on these is around £350, or £28 a month. Same as my XType. If it were 2006 or newer it would be £550. Old big cars rock! 😀😀😀

I would have expected the fierce tax on a 2006-on - my RX8 and 300C were like that, as was the C6.

But £125 more than when I last taxed a pre-2006 car shocked me. Makes the fact most PCP/lease cars include tax even more appealing.

On 11/23/2020 at 8:32 PM, Tim_E said:

Can you drink Cider from a flagon though?

Despite not making any sense, the lyric is actually " drink cider from a lemon"  /pendant mode.

We used to annoy a mate who had a seriously shonky XJ40 at the time the song came out by singing..

"He's got a wanked out car...

A shitty Jaguar...

It doesn't start..." etc etc.

10 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

Despite not making any sense, the lyric is actually " drink cider from a lemon"  /pendant mode.

Firstly, it makes no sense to drink cider from a lemon, I would agree with that.  Secondly, and I think I'm going to pendant you back here, I don't think you actually meant 'pendant' 😂