1998 Camry

Alan Prost

"Big Corolla" hits the mark perfectly.

The Camry satisfies the three main requirements for a car to be successful in America.......

1. it's big.  Yep, Yanks still like their cars big and comfy.  Except now that car is more and more likely to be an even bigger SUV.

2. It's reliable.  If it doesn't work, we won't buy it.  Should it need more than oil changes, spark plugs and tyres over the course of 250,000 miles it will be deemed "junk" and buyers will stay away.

3. It's cheap.  We're a stingy lot, over here.  Real wages haven't risen in decades, so everyone's skint.  A car had better be good value and last forever.

Personally, I can stand the damned things because they represent the lowest common denominator and are the automatic default choice of people who are of the "Car as white goods" mindset.  Simply put, the Camry is viewed by it's owner as just another household appliance, no different from the fridge or the toaster.  And even less rewarding to use.

Perhaps my perspective would be different if I were across the pond?  In the UK, a Camry is a slightly oddball novelty.  In America, it's the transport of choice for the sheeple who mindlessly follow the heard without a second thought.  Or rather, those sheeple who haven't yet switched to SUVs but are certain to do so in the very near future.

5 hours ago, Madman Of The People said:

"Big Corolla" hits the mark perfectly.

The Camry satisfies the three main requirements for a car to be successful in America.......

1. it's big.  Yep, Yanks still like their cars big and comfy.  Except now that car is more and more likely to be an even bigger SUV.

2. It's reliable.  If it doesn't work, we won't buy it.  Should it need more than oil changes, spark plugs and tyres over the course of 250,000 miles it will be deemed "junk" and buyers will stay away.

3. It's cheap.  We're a stingy lot, over here.  Real wages haven't risen in decades, so everyone's skint.  A car had better be good value and last forever.

Personally, I can stand the damned things because they represent the lowest common denominator and are the automatic default choice of people who are of the "Car as white goods" mindset.  Simply put, the Camry is viewed by it's owner as just another household appliance, no different from the fridge or the toaster.  And even less rewarding to use.

Perhaps my perspective would be different if I were across the pond?  In the UK, a Camry is a slightly oddball novelty.  In America, it's the transport of choice for the sheeple who mindlessly follow the heard without a second thought.  Or rather, those sheeple who haven't yet switched to SUVs but are certain to do so in the very near future.

Is there anything wrong with wanting a car that just works?

"98 Camry" is an ear worm of mine.  It was in an episode of Judge Judy circa 1999 when the supposedly broke plaintiff proudly replied "... a 98 Camry" when Judy asked what kind of car she owned.  Not sure what anyone is going to do with that info, but I'd probably detonate if I didn't share that fact on this thread.  My other ear worm is Bananarama - "Nathan Jones, you've been gone too long".  Anyway... As you were.

these are the go to for smart sensible youngsters on their learners here in oz. most are v6's here, but theyr ebombproof either way. and the 2.2 is non interference if it goes at lowish revs. as said calipers and bushes, servicxe it as it should be and it will outlast anything. 

a mate had a 1989 v6 manual, rare car even in oz, it spent 4 years doing skids, handbrake turns and burnouts and jumps. never died. 

we got the later aurion/camry range with the mental 2gr engine. theyre a hoot. 

cam5.jpg.ae9c391c18a67e78d84c842c7f45b008.jpgcam3.jpg.35b0bc0c02fb307ce0611a310d1fc1f4.jpg1189638333_cam4.jpg.20363ee36189e538ff97c8a7f43ac48b.jpgcam2.jpg.d009c2f93eea53432c2eb50bebaa1d42.jpgWell turns out its a small world, it was for sale by a trader a few miles from my village, turns out I knew him and he was keen to make space as it is not his usual thing as was a PX against a posher newer v6 camry.

Took it for a drive and everything works, its had the multi changer pulled out and an after market stereo, i'm not bothered about the CD player but a shame the factory look dash has been disturbed.

Insides are very clean, although it needs a  general clean, outside has a few giffer marks, but all in all good and drives without fault.

So I am now the proud owner of a giffer green camry, the guy I got it off reckons it owed him £500 as that's what he gave the gent, so let me take it for that. all in all pretty happy!!

Love these. 

Giffer on my estate has one, not sure of the engine but I think it's a 2.2 on a p reg. 

Still looks totally mint in gun metal grey but he's put a god awful 1/8th of an inch red stripe down the side and quite a few stick on bits but he's had it for years and years so I assume it's typical Toyota reliability. 

On 11/19/2020 at 9:19 PM, Alan_Green said:

"98 Camry" is an ear worm of mine.  It was in an episode of Judge Judy circa 1999 when the supposedly broke plaintiff proudly replied "... a 98 Camry" when Judy asked what kind of car she owned.  Not sure what anyone is going to do with that info, but I'd probably detonate if I didn't share that fact on this thread.  My other ear worm is Bananarama - "Nathan Jones, you've been gone too long".  Anyway... As you were.

Excuse me, that was The Supremes if you don't mind.   That  un-talented lot did a copy of it 😃

I think in American Beauty the guy who woke up, went and bought a Mustang. His wife asked " what's wrong with the Camry"? 

On 11/19/2020 at 1:18 PM, Lacquer Peel said:

Is there anything wrong with wanting a car that just works?

No, nothing wrong at all.  I'm sorry if I didn't make my point clear.  My issue isn't so much with the Camry, itself, but rather with the sort of people (where I am in America) who flock to it, zombie-like, without even considering other alternatives.  I realise the perception in Britain is very different, no doubt because the Camry never enjoyed anywhere near the level of popularity in the UK as it does (or rather, did prior to the SUV onslaught) in the US.

Over here, the Camry is the stereotypical car for people who don't like cars.  I'm not sure an equivalent exists in the UK?  Maybe Volvo, perhaps?

Your point is valid.  It's not the Camry itself I take issue with, it's what it represents in a uniquely American context, i.e. the unimaginative, follow-the-herd mentality that has become all too prevalent over here.

• 3 weeks later...

Well not quite as planned, the wife has been after a leccy car, and as the good season is upon us I ended up looking and then buying one, this means that my Audi A4 will become second car and the Camry is suddenly surplus, there is nothing wrong with the car, drives faultless, has a bit of a dodgy rattle can on the OS doors but not bad from 15 ft.

I have installed a toyota cassette player so the glow at night matches the rest of the dash, also still have the JVC if you would rather pop it back in.

Loads of history, drives a treat, MOT until August.... just looking to recoup the 500 notes I spent on it!

1 hour ago, Alan Prost said:

Well not quite as planned, the wife has been after a leccy car, and as the good season is upon us I ended up looking and then buying one, this means that my Audi A4 will become second car and the Camry is suddenly surplus, there is nothing wrong with the car, drives faultless, has a bit of a dodgy rattle can on the OS doors but not bad from 15 ft.

I have installed a toyota cassette player so the glow at night matches the rest of the dash, also still have the JVC if you would rather pop it back in.

Loads of history, drives a treat, MOT until August.... just looking to recoup the 500 notes I spent on it!

@Spottedlaurel