Chad the Transit Minibus - sadly for sale

SmokinWaffle

Hello!

I'm glad to say that I was the lucky chap that snagged the transit from @jollyfkr2 that was very kindly offered in this thread:

I understand a few people were in line before me but sadly couldn't collect/sort it for varying reasons and it finally came around to me! 

After sending a picture of a rusty, faded transit van that has been sitting for half a decade to my fiancé at 10AM on a random  wet Friday - she promptly replied "Sure" and "I think it could be fun!" (I have no words for how awesome she is!!) 

Our plan? A self built small camper for fun weekends and adventures. Call it cheesy, a waste - call it whatever you like really because you don't have my address and that's what is happening regardless. 😛

@worldofceri gave me an amazingly reasonable quote to get it moved the 35-40 or so miles to my house - but sadly he wasn't down this way anytime soon and it needed moving. I got a couple of Shiply quotes for £200+(!!) - then finally contact a local company by the name of GC Cars Recoveries and Transport and spoke to a helpful man called Gary. 

He couldn't move it due to it making him over-weight being a van - but he knew someone who could and booked him to do it for the fair price of £120. Happy days. I did have the guys business card but have since misplaced it - but will credit it when I find out who it was as he was great too.

Now I just had to wait 4 days....

4 days later, I got a delivery that I rushed home from work in my lunch hour to accept - with a helper from work who is also a fan of old chod - what a sight to behold when I arrived:

PXL_20201110_124657722.thumb.jpg.d7eb897fb5514c3641134cfdda91f2ab.jpg

PXL_20201110_124712333.thumb.jpg.a36495302122c4fde55d8d3281a35346.jpg

Apart from a very grotty front arch - at first inspection it didn't look too shabby at all! Even underneath was seemingly solid apart from some surface rust.

As luck would have it - my friends brother had recently purchased an equally cool ford that was there to help get it jumped:

PXL_20201110_131227255.thumb.jpg.3ee24200b56df9280acf5cc50349adb8.jpg

Very nice. Sounds lovely and is luxury inside. Looks well on those wheels too.

ANYHOW, the chap said the battery in it was flat as a pancake but that it started in the yard with a brand new one. I grabbed one from the garage from an old VW 4x4 thing I'd used for our previous BX Adventure and popped it in and we set about jumping it:

PXL_20201110_131349564.thumb.jpg.c450c0d305b9c71109878a0f2f78d1b4.jpg

Sadly....we couldn't get it started. In hindsight I think I was so excited I didn't let the glowplugs warm up - but who knows the state of the battery I put in it. It happily turned over and over and over so it must of had some charge....

There were 0 brakes on the transit - totally pedal to the floor non-existant - so we set about pushing it onto the drive and......well, fuck me it's heavy when pushing it up a slight incline. Got it around the corner okay with 3 of us pushing, pushed it back but soon came to a halt when I met the small incline of my driveway.

I don't have a picture of the next bit - but my friends brother backed the Granny up to it and pushed it up the final bit - what an absolute gent. He said it needs a new bumper anyway so wasn't bothered - no damage regardless. So - we got it on!

PXL_20201110_133109391.thumb.jpg.51babd3f69e5430d2bd21d897f2c8a55.jpg

Woo!!!

Had a quick look inside, little bit dirty but otherwise looked bloody good with lots of space for activities! Can really tell it's only done 80k.

PXL_20201110_133141275.thumb.jpg.4eaa47db20f369fcd267037aecb9c2f1.jpg

PXL_20201110_133149484.thumb.jpg.2c9f26de75dd73a57f15ecec97a1d539.jpg

Some major rust on both sides on the cab steps - to be expected:

PXL_20201110_133501353.thumb.jpg.cb0412df90913089d87d37dd9e9b0c6c.jpg

But otherwise very good nick for a transit that tends to rot like old fruit in the sun.

Next step was to get some sort of security on it (as the door doesn't lock/lock is seized) to stop the locals towing it away.

A quick search on Facebook and £10 later - I whacked this small deterrent on it:

PXL_20201110_184538535.thumb.jpg.2549b5f3f51fbd4b8312949b8d633ea8.jpg

Snug.

Stay tuned.

I never realised they updated the cab so much over the 80s one...Losing the little illuminated tabs on the warning lights is really sad...I remember thinking that was one of the coolest things I'd seen when I was about 5.

As Wuvvum says, these engines don't have glow plugs, but do need to spin over at a good rate to catch usually. 

You never realise how heavy a van truly is compared to a car until you try to push one!

Next step was to get an honest eye on it to see how much work was needed to get it welded up to a roadworthy state.

Contacted a friend I have known for a little bit from the car/drift world, who owns & runs Byrneout Welding. Good fabricator, honest guy who would do anything to help you if you were in need. Hugely recommended. He's done a few transits as it happens too. Does good work I can trust.

He gave it a good look over for about an hour, getting everywhere, under carpets, underneath, taking off plastic, poking and prodding.

He came to the conclusion that - although it does need a good tickle (probably an understatement) - it's the most solid MK5 he's come across / worked on. Floor is solid all the way through - even some original underseal in places and untouched metal which is great news.

He wrote up a nice report for me which estimated just under 70HRs of work - to which my first reaction was...dread. But - he said this is if he did everything including cleaning it, cutting back, prep, paint, welding ect - and he said if I was willing to put in the graft he would gladly show me how I got get all the rot cut out and prepped and reduce that total quoted time to less than half - and I could even try my hand at some welding - which is all very doable financially - and would be a great learning and bonding experience for me and my other half. After all - this is a self build project - what's better than getting our hands dirty/burnt/covered in rust?! 

List of things that need doing:

• Drivers side wing (replace)
  • Lower 30% inner arch
  • Front arch, inner and outer
  • Drivers door sill, inner, outer and step area
  • Outer sill wants treating and straightening 
  • Chassis mounts want cleaning up and coating
  • Tow hook blast/paint
  • Passenger rear arch damage and inner rot
  • Sliding door shut - outer sill and 2 small inner spots
  • 2 spots underneath sliding door runner
  • Front door shut - inner and outer sill (the step is saveable hopefully)
  • Front inner wing and arch
  • Left inner wing under the bonnet
  • Replace: Drivers door, most likely passenger door, both rear doors and both front wings

All panels I need are readily and fairly cheaply available from various places. 

So - it's probably going to sit for a few months until the weather starts getting warmer - then it's game on.

Now I just have to save for a wedding, house and a camper....christ...

Will this be cheaper than buying a decent base van instead? Maybe.

Will a modern engine be as reliable as a 2.5 banana diesel? Definitely not.

Would that be as much fun / as fun of a story to keep me and you fine readers entertained? Hell no!

Very excited. Thanks again for @jollyfkr2 for offering this up free of charge. You've made us both very excited for the future of hard work we have ahead!

18 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Superb.  I'm still quite annoyed that I couldn't make the logistics work in time...

No glowplugs on a DI - but they do need to be cranked over at a decent speed in order to fire.

14 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I never realised they updated the cab so much over the 80s one...Losing the little illuminated tabs on the warning lights is really sad...I remember thinking that was one of the coolest things I'd seen when I was about 5.

As Wuvvum says, these engines don't have glow plugs, but do need to spin over at a good rate to catch usually. 

You never realise how heavy a van truly is compared to a car until you try to push one!

I see! Thanks both. What does it have instead? Sounds like a silly question I know. Need to buy myself a Haynes manual. My other half loves learning about engines and such so she will make it her mission to memorise every page I'm sure...

I've been around old cars and had an interest for many years - but only recently started working on them for myself. Did my BX oil change myself and some wiring and working on a sad panda I found - figure now is a good of a time as any to start learning! Every mistake is a lesson! :-) 

Looks like at some point it was owned by Chad Racing (assume so from the stickers) - I also found a pit lane pass and some french insurance documents in the glove box. I'll try to contact them to see what they know/can tell me about the old thing!

2 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It doesn't have anything as such - some direct injection engines don't need preheating to start - as long as you can spin them over quick enough to generate sufficient heat through compression. 

Very cool. Thanks! I'll give that old battery a good charge to see if it makes any odds - if not I'll get a new one and go from there.

Just to show you how great my other half is - how many conversations about old shit cars do you see that go like this:

Screenshot_20201116-213330_2.thumb.png.74b3dada9ef398b6efd239a930226a38.png

That is why we are engaged as of a few months ago. Diamond.

8 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Still maintain these are the best commercial diesel engines of ever.

Unbelievably tough in my experience. I remember when my old Omega shat its belt tensioner leaving me with no charge, water circulation or power steering in rush hour Kidderminster. I limped to the nearest garage and the bloke in charge sorted me a lift back to Ludlow with his dad's car transporter.

Said transporter turned out to be an early 90s Transit (the Amoeba absolutely dwarfed it), even the garage boss looked a bit dubious (the road between Kiddy and Ludlow is viciously hilly, especially on the dark side of Clee Hill, but it did the job without issue. 

11 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Being pedantic again, this isn't a banana engine - it's the basic 70bhp DI.  No less reliable though, and not a huge difference in performance in the real world. 

The learning continues! Good to know - thanks :-)

11 hours ago, stuboy said:

bloody good engines

11 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Still maintain these are the best commercial diesel engines of ever.

That's what I'm hoping - esepcially with only 80k on the clock

Just now, sierraman said:

I reckon it’s well worth getting a welder and having a go at that welding, practice a bit over winter with some scrap steel then go for it. 

I did some Arc welding with my dad - that was pretty hard but the concept was easy enough - just practice. I guess I'd need a mig welder and some wire? That isn't a bad idea - could be fun!

2 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I reckon it’s well worth getting a welder and having a go at that welding, practice a bit over winter with some scrap steel then go for it. 

What he said. On an old bus like this you don't need a showroom finish, if you can practice enough to solidly glue two pieces of metal together and use a grinder accurately you're 67.523% there. 

I found a welder a really useful tool for converting my van as well, saved money on a rock and roll bed by making my own out of angle iron. Cost me about £30 in steel Vs around £500 for a bought one. Then all the little custom hinges and brackets you can just make yourself.. it's addictive!

8 minutes ago, SmokinWaffle said:

The learning continues! Good to know - thanks :-)

That's what I'm hoping - esepcially with only 80k on the clock

I did some Arc welding with my dad - that was pretty hard but the concept was easy enough - just practice. I guess I'd need a mig welder and some wire? That isn't a bad idea - could be fun!

Even if you went and bought a cheap gas less MIG which aren’t as good as a proper ‘gas’ MIG, you could get a feel for if you like it. Obviously a good Gas MIG is £££, you’ll have not lost too much. So long as it’s stuck together firmly you should be fine, we’re talkinh welding up an old Transit here not making a bonnet for an e-type for the Palm Beach Concours.

12 hours ago, SmokinWaffle said:

Very cool. Thanks! I'll give that old battery a good charge to see if it makes any odds - if not I'll get a new one and go from there.

Just to show you how great my other half is - how many conversations about old shit cars do you see that go like this:

Screenshot_20201116-213330_2.thumb.png.74b3dada9ef398b6efd239a930226a38.png

That is why we are engaged as of a few months ago. Diamond.

Are you sure that's not the same as "Do what you like, you always do" or "I didn't think you were serious"  that most married men have heard at some point in thier marriage. 

Followed by "I never said that" 

34 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Even if you went and bought a cheap gas less MIG which aren’t as good as a proper ‘gas’ MIG, you could get a feel for if you like it. Obviously a good Gas MIG is £££, you’ll have not lost too much. So long as it’s stuck together firmly you should be fine, we’re talkinh welding up an old Transit here not making a bonnet for an e-type for the Palm Beach Concours.

I know lots of people think gasless mig welding is a bit amateurish, but think of it as continuous Arc welding, and remember that welding in a stiff breeze,  outside will be less of a proborn as the gas can't blow away. 

35 minutes ago, sierraman said:

10 minutes ago, lexi said:

Keep an eye out for a Clarke 150 or buy a new one if you can afford it. Hobbyweld gas bottles.

My welder is happy to let me have a go (he did welding courses too pre-covid) - and show me how to prep/clean/cut/grind the panels in readiness. I think I'd be happy doing that rather than paying £2 - 300 for a welder and just diving into it - but I'll keep it in mind if I see a decent one locally for a good price! It is tempting and they do hold their money...I'm just nervous I suppose.

3 minutes ago, New POD said:

Are you sure that's not the same as "Do what you like, you always do" or "I didn't think you were serious"  that most married men have heard at some point in thier marriage. 

Followed by "I never said that" 

100% - she's arguably more excited about it than I am!

14 minutes ago, SmokinWaffle said:

My welder is happy to let me have a go (he did welding courses too pre-covid) - and show me how to prep/clean/cut/grind the panels in readiness. I think I'd be happy doing that rather than paying £2 - 300 for a welder and just diving into it - but I'll keep it in mind if I see a decent one locally for a good price! It is tempting and they do hold their money...I'm just nervous I suppose.

100% - she's arguably more excited about it than I am!

And 25 years from now, they also say "I never liked ..........insert some hobby you have......, I just thought you'd grow out of it " 

13 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I think my wife would be consulting a solicitor to look at her options if I brought that home. 

I think mine would be phoning the community mental health team. 

Anyway I'm only joking. Every woman needs a man with a hobby.