Italian Stallion: Kiltox’s 1982 Fiat Panda 30!

Kiltox

Fairly standard practice for imports. My last Lambretta was an Italian import and I had to sort all the paperwork to get it registered. DVLA duly contacted me and said they were sending out a bloke to check the I.D. The process was painless - I made sure there was walkaround room in the garage and took off the sidepanels ready so it was easier for him to see the frame and engine numbers, which he took photos of, along with the scooter itself. Really sound old gent, although I understand they're not all as sound as him. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, JMotor said:

So getting the car registered was straightforward then?

Only ask, as I'm looking to register an import next month. Typical for me to over think the job when it's actually easy to do. 

Yeah it was really straightforward! Apart from having to have an inspection (which was painless), it was very simple. 

Just now, loserone said:

Do you now know the registration it will be given then?

given he has a screenshot of the DVLA's first party checker, he knows alright

he just aint sharing, the tease! depriving me of another age related series for my DVLA research LOL

on a more serious note, the DVLA will generally let you know what the reg mark is a few days in advanced of it going live

very pleased of course to see it road registered, looking forward to seeing it out and about, it would be quite interesting to compare it to a Fiat 126 and other Air cooled Twins like the Fiat 500 , 2CV, Visa etc

23 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

ABA5A5B3-6327-4970-BAAA-C36C39EDD123.thumb.png.614310aa84d033999e13a80fbce6523e.png

Yeah thats what im talking about!

I am curious did anything on the documentation you provided to the DVLA state when exactly the vehicle was made down at least to the month?

one thing I have not quite been able to nail down, is how the DVLA decides which suffix to give a vehicle for when only the year of manufacture is known

because 1982 could be X or Y suffix depending on when in the year the vehicle was made/registered

(as an aside to a DVLA nerd like myself, thats not a bad plate, as its not immediately glaringly obvious its an age related plate, as Axx-X was a period serial and suffix letter combination for a fair number of location markers! :)

I do know that if you can show when the vehicle was first registered in its home country the DVLA will issue a mark according to that, so if for example it was first registered in Italy say in October 1982 then you would have gotten a Y suffix age related mark 

but what I dont know for sure is if the DVLA will do the same if you can prove down to the month when the vehicle was made, and again I dont know exactly what their default is when only a year is known

ADV would be a chromulent plate series for Exeter I think?

I guess that is not your area?

When I registered my Vespa I got JWR285Y, JWR is a Leeds plate apparently and I'm not that far from Leeds, I wondered if they do try to give a localish reg or if its just luck of the draw.

55 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

on a more serious note, the DVLA will generally let you know what the reg mark is a few days in advanced of it going live

The DVLA's letter telling me what my Mobylette's reg mark was going to be arrived the day after the V5C.

14 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

but what I dont know for sure is if the DVLA will do the same if you can prove down to the month when the vehicle was made, and again I dont know exactly what their default is when only a year is known

I didn't have an exact date of manufacture for the Mobylette, just a year (1981), and it'd never been registered in France.  They gave it a W plate.  Which I suppose it had a 58% chance of being...

3 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

I wondered if they do try to give a localish reg

Certainly did at one stage, I imported a ten-year old Fiesta to Scotland and got a J-YSC mark. But that was through the Edinburgh local office, which I presume is long gone?

6 minutes ago, mk2_craig said:

Certainly did at one stage, I imported a ten-year old Fiesta to Scotland and got a J-YSC mark. But that was through the Edinburgh local office, which I presume is long gone?

Definitely no local offices any more. I live in Gloucester so they’ve definitely not used that as a guide here. 

9 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

ADV would be a chromulent plate series for Exeter I think?

I guess that is not your area?

When I registered my Vespa I got JWR285Y, JWR is a Leeds plate apparently and I'm not that far from Leeds, I wondered if they do try to give a localish reg or if its just luck of the draw.

the location markers on age related plates, is another one of those things im still researching

but as I currently understand it/from what I have gathered from my research

when you register a previously non DVLA registered vehicle, you will get a random registration mark with respect to your physical location

which is a bit naff IMHO as its not like ageless plates where theres only so many left, for age identifying plates theres still shit loads of combinations available for all location markers

I do wonder if you could request a proper location related age related plate when registering your import or not...

I THINK modern style mnemonic age related plates are still properly issued on an a location related basis, but im still researching that, Certainly @dollywobbler's Betty suitably got a Welsh 51 plate

as mentioned, back in the days of local offices, your import or what have you would get a proper location related age related plate to where the local office was

the one situation im not sure on, is what the DVLA do when you transfer the plate off an already registered vehicle

I know historically they would give you an age related, with a location marker to where the plate robbery took place, LVX250J was robbed of its plate in London and got JBY503J, XEV88S was robbed of its plate in Scotland and got VES108S etc, but I dont have any modern day examples

but I have just remembered @alcyonecorporation's Pug 305 which has a Brighton Age related plate, from after its original plate was transferred off long after the closures of all the local offices, so depending on if thats a local reg to wherever @alcyonecorporation lives, will tell us the current status of how the DVLA works there with regards to age related replacements for an already registered vehicle