Italian Stallion: Kiltox’s 1982 Fiat Panda 30!

Kiltox

8 minutes ago, MrSteve said:

On the subject of door mirrors- you'll need to fit a passenger door mirror to pass the MOT as you have to have one on the offside plus either the interior one or a nearside one- so for a post-'78 LHD car that basically means having all 3.

For the rear fog light, I got a RHD offside rear light unit to get the red lens on the correct side of the car.

Here's my 30's dashboard:

072.JPG

Looks fancy - mine doesn’t have a hazard switch :lol: 

Interesting point on the mirror. I’d misinterpreted the rules. Any idea where I can get one??

Autobella on ebay have them listed as for the 126 - item no. 322065428315- just £12, which I think is a bargain for something that you would think would be made out of unobtainium...!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-FIAT-126-RIGHT-BLACK-MIRROR-PLASTIC-SCREW-CLASSIC-CAR-MIRROR-BRAND-NEW/322065428315

Have some pics of my rear light set-up and the optimum seat cover for a beige interior.

043.JPG

070.JPG

3 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Hmmm.  Does that count as Chodwin's Law?  He didn't actually say the I word...

LOL, in this case I am just genuinely curious if it would bolt up or if there are too many differences

(im not aware of the Steyr puch engine being used in any front engine applications... unless someones strapped one to a 2CV?)

19 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

LOL, in this case I am just genuinely curious if it would bolt up or if there are too many differences

(im not aware of the Steyr puch engine being used in any front engine applications... unless someones strapped one to a 2CV?)

Would probably fit, but then you would have 4 reverse and 1 forward gear!

On 11/19/2020 at 9:21 AM, Skut said:

Panda Trenta! Those wheels are so cool I'm tempted to get some for the Y10.

If peeps haven't already seen it the charming launch film. 

I had no idea the interior was so adaptable on these things? There has to be a market for something so simple these days surely?

37 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Legislation and crash survival as well as car seat and seat belt provision probably rules it out these days?

You're right, although the cynical among us might say it's because there no provision for a massive touchscreen to control all the shit that modern motorists seem unable to manage without.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:29 PM, MrSteve said:

On the subject of door mirrors- you'll need to fit a passenger door mirror to pass the MOT as you have to have one on the offside plus either the interior one or a nearside one- so for a post-'78 LHD car that basically means having all 3.

For the rear fog light, I got a RHD offside rear light unit to get the red lens on the correct side of the car.

When do the rules for mirrors change? I know older things only need one mirror (either external or internal). Is 1978 the cut-off for having an offside mirror? What a pain in the arse

2 hours ago, barrett said:

When do the rules for mirrors change? I know older things only need one mirror (either external or internal). Is 1978 the cut-off for having an offside mirror? What a pain in the arse

Pre-Aug '78 is one rear view mirror with no specific requirement as to which of the 3 possible locations you can choose.

From then on it specifies offside mirror plus one other.

MOT mirror fun section here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/3-visibility

On 11/19/2020 at 9:21 AM, Skut said:

Panda Trenta! Those wheels are so cool I'm tempted to get some for the Y10.

If peeps haven't already seen it the charming launch film. 

Just ended up watching that whole thing, strangely soothing

Probably because I don't speak Italian

15 hours ago, sierraman said:

Instant fireball. 

Not really. I'm pretty sure petrol requires a spark or flame to ignite, you could drip petrol onto a hot surface and it would just evaporate. 

Brake fluid however can ignite through heat alone. 

2 hours ago, Timewaster said:

Not really. I'm pretty sure petrol requires a spark or flame to ignite, you could drip petrol onto a hot surface and it would just evaporate. 

Brake fluid however can ignite through heat alone. 

I seem to remember and old old segment on top gear about that.

• 2 weeks later...