Italian Stallion: Kiltox’s 1982 Fiat Panda 30!

Kiltox

In all seriousness, as long as the carb on that is clean and not badly worn, which I don't think it will be, there's only likely to be two or three easy adjustments to make. With a little practice they can be done by ear, sometimes easier with a rev counter connected.

The IDF's, (I think), pictured on the cover of the book of Witchcraft would be a different kettle of fish.

What's the carb on these?

I have to admit, now I'm used to British cars and their super simple SUs, "foreigner stuff" seems much more mysterious. Especially those fandagle Webbers.

One thing I've learnt from running old carb/distributor based engines is how badly they can be out but still run ok. Often run more than well enough to not even fully realise something is amiss. 

We had one of these back in the early 90s, it had 2 more cylinders than your one though, but being a Mk1 it had the same interior, completely devoid of anything that could be suspected of offering any form of comfort. So, no radio, carpets, passenger door mirror or even proper door trims. We loved its square box,  utilitarian, cart sprung,  nature and for a while it was our only form of transport, including longer motorway journeys which if not very comfortable were at least memorable. Sadly, the rust got it in the end. Doors, sills, roof, slam panel, pretty much everywhere, you could almost see the rust progressing daily,

A neighbour at the time had the Mk2 which had a FIRE engine and modern rear suspension. It was a far better car than our‘s, with proper seats and even a dashboard, as well as some semblance of rust proofing. Somehow still less desirable though.

Copied from my Pandino 2019 trip:

This was my car of the show though. Brought along by a mother/son team. The mum had owned it from new when her late husband bought it new as a temporary car whilst waiting for his company car to arrive. It was then passed to the mum, a lady originally from Portugal. Its a 1982 Panda 30 with the 2 cylinder air cooled engine as fitted to the 126. She drove it back to Portgual year on year with photo albums that she loves to show you. The albums are pure shite heaven! Pictures of it on the road before all the motorways existed and some amazing stories. One year coming back through France it started running badly, but it still made it home. When they stripped the original engine it had a huge hole in one of the pistons but IT KEPT GOING!!! It still on a rebuilt version of its original engine at 200,000 kms! It has never been restored and ooooozes character and charm.

769F577A-03B3-4722-861D-98DF2112A34E.jpeg

E3912564-F020-4ED8-8323-5996179A6187.jpeg

On the subject of door mirrors- you'll need to fit a passenger door mirror to pass the MOT as you have to have one on the offside plus either the interior one or a nearside one- so for a post-'78 LHD car that basically means having all 3.

For the rear fog light, I got a RHD offside rear light unit to get the red lens on the correct side of the car.

Here's my 30's dashboard:

072.JPG