Stupid question about truck brakes

Youngsod

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

My first experience driving a 7.5-tonner was when I bought a Leyland Roadrunner off eBay whilst in an intoxicated state.

wheres the best quotes thread?

if thats not autoshite then I dont know what is LOL

(PS this thread is making me want to drive a Lorry/Bus even more now... anyone visiting the FoD with one? LOL)

2 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Merc Sprinter brakes feel crap and are a bit unnerving, but when someone pulls out in front of you and you stamp on them, they really work! Just glad the Luton was empty at the time or I'd have had a Ford Courier bonnet mascot

Yea the eventually work, and will stop you. It's just that there's loads of pedal travel before anything approaching a quick stop happens.  Doesn't help that the Mercs we run are about 5 ton unladen with all the gubbins and that's before a crew and sometimes hefty patients and or relatives. 

6 hours ago, spartacus said:

You might struggle with that. 

I was explaining a few of the oddities of the driving licence and how I could drive a 7.5t vehicle to my daughter. Being 13 she had no idea what one was, so I told her I'd point one out on the journey to school, on main roads, in rush hour, between Chesterfield and Sheffield, a 12 mile journey.

Nope, not one.

I'd never really thought about it but obviously the change in licensing, amongst other things, has been the death of the 7.5 tonner. 

I was pondering this on a 70-80 mile journey between East Cheshire and my endz this evening. I think you are right, all the medium sized cargo seems to be in those big Iveco/Peugeot curtainsiders. I only saw one 7.5, a refridgerator van. The Royal Mail still use them though.

28 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

There don't seem to be many "proper" 7.5-tonne lorries left.  Most of the ones I see are either heavy-duty Iveco Dailies or Japanese stuff (Isuzu mainly) which look and sound like scaled-up 3.5-tonners.

I've noticed that. 

I would wonder if it's an economy of scale. If you've the need of a proper 7.5t truck would you not just be better off with a small ridgid giving you more capacity and flexibility without going over the Gross Weight. 

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

There don't seem to be many "proper" 7.5-tonne lorries left.  Most of the ones I see are either heavy-duty Iveco Dailies or Japanese stuff (Isuzu mainly) which look and sound like scaled-up 3.5-tonners.

Thats all you get now. We run Daily.'s 7.2 tonne all up. FUSO/Isuzu are the only other 7.5 tonne "trucks" you can get here as far as I know. They get used more than the bigger stuff for breakdowns, as the crew  cab and reasonable size make them ideal for us, but with the weight of some newer cars even they can be too small.  Bring back the Mercedes Atego in 7.5 tonne :).. no crew cab tho.