R20 Update....

Baz

Being in possession of an unsigned V5C means squat unfortunately - how do you know that the seller hasn't obtained a duplicate and transferred the car into a different name? DVLA won't use an obsolete document to progress a change of ownership. I'm fairly sure that "registered keeper" has a different definition from "legal owner" too and if you were to forge a signature then he could probably have you nailed for fraud.A shame it's come to this Baz as I for one was really looking forward to you getting this car, hopefully it will all be resolved to your satisfaction.EDIT: DVLA sez the SORN's about to expire...

I should hope not as two of my cars have my mum as the registered keeper on the V5C for insurance purposes but make no mistake, the cars are mine not mum's - she just receives the tax reminders! :D We too made a mental note of where it said "The registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner" :wink:

With regards to the document situation, if you ignore the full V5C and get a V62(?) from the post office, and send this completed with the green tear off slip (notification of sale or transfer) from the bottom of the V5C. The DVLA should issue a V5C in your name, i believe without contacting the previous owner. If you DO NOT have the V5C or the tear off slip, Fill in the V62, and send it along with a Cheque/PO for £25.00 and the DVLA will issue a new V5C, or better still take it into your local DVLA office. The DVLA will then send a letter to the previous owner for them to confirm they have sold the vehicle to you, if they receive no response from the previous owner after 7 days, they will then automatically issue a new V5C is your name.It's worth checking if the guy who allegedly has your Renault 20 has actually transfered it into his name if he is some sort of trader. I've just been through this trying to tax my car after the pervious owner claimed he had lost the V5C at the time I bought the car. So went to my local DVLA office to sort it out.

I've been keeping an eyse on this thread for some time now. Sadly, I always thought it was a recipe for disaster. That said, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm sorry you've been let down like this. As others have said, if I were you, I'd go and pick the car up and get it out of there asap.

Baz , as a fellow renault lover i sympathise with your anger not just being ripped off but being deprived of a car you really wanted

especially one that is not easy to find

being outbid on ebay is one thing, this is a crime !!!

best of luck ,( as a relative newbie here havent been able to go back and read the whole story)

ps

R20 wings vs R30 wings for those who need to know all early cars had large wheel arches except 3 stud 20TL 1647 cc

later cars 1981 on series 2 things are more complex

all large axle cars had bigger arches ie 20 Tx 30Tx

all small axle cars 20 TD ,20TS,20LS,30TD had 13inch wheels therefore needed smaller arches (yes i have known people fit wrong ones )

sorry no wings here but few other bits

attaching R20/30 garden ornament to cheer you up

Posted Image

and ambulance if it didnt :D

Posted Image

After a frank exchange of e-mails with the vendor of "MY" Renault 20, it's clear to me that he has a number of personal issues....It's not my place to discuss those here, but suffice it to say that I am able to sympathise with him to the extent that I've decided to cut him a little (more) slack! :roll:

I'm now pretty confident that I'll see the car EVENTUALLY, and I have reserved the right to go and collect the car on my brother-in-law's truck at any point, so the saga continues! :?

I'll try not to bore You all with it too much more, until I actually have the car! :wink:

You have a very forgiving man, Baz. I suspect more forgiving than the rest of us.I would echo Mr Welfare & Volksy, regardless of his personal problems I would go and get the car! Surely you're doing him a favour - he does'nt have to work on it anymore.....BTW why are you communicating via email - does he not have a proper (landline) telephone number?

• 13 years later...
On 10/12/2007 at 12:00 PM, Torsten2001 said:

Found it! This is the R20 I saw on the driveway, I sped up to it swerving in and out of traffic dangerously focusing my camera, I wasn't too far out eh?

http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/10607996b20f7f973671f7e1b0be883f762070840d2cec64e8f02839ee5850c02eb87f7e.jpg

http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/36036274d1455c9877f8187972a91cc9c2101a9c3dd4c0042db1da638ae3863ef20e9a1e.jpg

please note the 121 in the distance!

Would love to see this photo again if you still have it? Could check out the reg and see if it's still about.....has been 14 long years since this post!

Hey, I just would like someone to repost a photo they posted in this thread they actually snapped a gold Renault 20 driving about in Croydon back in 2007, because I would like to know if the car has survived into 2021!

Even in 2007, a running and MOT'd R20 spot begged the question: "what is this sorcery??"

I had nothing to do with the shenanigans that the thread relates - I doubt that "Baz" has even thought about it for 10 yrs plus!

Mr Chairman

Doubleyeller collective