Lockdown defying Saturday evening kollekshion - HAPPY ENDING!

Peter C

1 hour ago, Peter C said:

My quest to find a nice W124 continued when I found a lovely looking 320E advertised via Facebook Marketplace. The car was local to me and the advert sounded promising. 

320E.jpg.f3f83d844f7f80a7d09992917c7ac5e7.jpg

I sent a message to the seller expressing my interest and spoke with him the following day. Nice chap, sounded honest. Too honest perhaps because he told me that the engine has an issue, which hitherto he has failed to diagnose, which causes the engine revs to fluctuate at idle, between 1,000-1,500 rev/min. A little research on the web and some advice from guys on a W124 Facebook page later, which suggested that the issue could be caused by a myriad of defects, I decided not to even view the car.

I decided that I'm not going to buy another W124 for daily duties. I have copped out and ordered a new lease car, which I will hopefully get in a couple of weeks. And what exciting car am I getting? A Kia Exceed, no less.

Kia.jpg.ebe5b87c7d480f08d532c50e7874dd93.jpg

I'll see myself out.

They are nice cars, I ordered one 3 days before lockdown no1 and cancelled straight away, I've been looking at Corsa E's on lease today, £250/month, considering I'm spending £100/month on fuel and another £30 for tax it seems like I can have a brand new car for £120 a month (as I can charge at work) seriously tempted.

17 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

They are nice cars, I ordered one 3 days before lockdown no1 and cancelled straight away, I've been looking at Corsa E's on lease today, £250/month, considering I'm spending £100/month on fuel and another £30 for tax it seems like I can have a brand new car for £120 a month (as I can charge at work) seriously tempted.

There’s a lot to be said for having a brand new lease car. I’ve signed up to a deal that includes replacement tyres, brakes, servicing, in fact everything other than fuel and insurance. That works for me.

It might be a slightly dull choice but I’d say you made the right one. In my experience, running older luxury* cars as actual daily drivers are a pain in the arse. Amazing on those rare days when you’re not busy, the sun is shining and it’s actually working but utter shite for the rest of the time.

Save your time for having fun with your old Mercs!

8 hours ago, plasticvandan said:

I've never worked out how people can afford to lease a car,maybe everyone is on way more money than me I don't know.

The initial deposit to lease the Kia is the same as what I paid for a 17 year old TT.

The cost of getting the cambelt done on the TT is £50 more than my first month’s lease.

The cost of the coil packs that I bought for the TT is about £50 less than my second month’s lease.

The cost of sorting out the TT’s clutch hydraulics, if I had to pay for the repairs, would amount another two or three months of lease payments.

A new set of tyres for the TT would cost another two months of lease payments.

Having the TT’s alloy wheels refurbished and centre caps replaced is another 1.5 lease payments.

Fuck knows what else will go wrong with the TT but based on experiences during my brief ownership various things will and they won’t be cheap to fix.

I fully appreciate that having spent £10k all I get from getting a lease car is hassle free motoring for three years and perhaps a thank you at the end of the contract. But I also understand that if I spend three years fixing up an old banger I don’t end up with a £10k TT.

9 hours ago, plasticvandan said:

I've never worked out how people can afford to lease a car,maybe everyone is on way more money than me I don't know.

You can lease a car (like a corsa or ibiza) for under £150 p/m if you shop carefully and do a relatively low mileage, I sorted a friend out with a Seat Leon lease last year, £600 down and £145 a month for 3 years, I know people who are 'skint' who spend more than that on fags and booze in a month, 

A brand new car under warranty for under £170 a month if you amortise the numbers, which will need one service in that time, no tax, no tyres, no mot to worry about, no breakdowns or costly repairs to worry about, in fact I'd say if you want fixed cost motoring leases are the 'cheapest' way of 'owning' a new car and hassle free motoring for the average person.

8 hours ago, plasticvandan said:

In the words of Harry Enfield's Comic Brummie (bricklayer?), a Mr Loadsamoney. "Yam considerably reacher than Yow "

I've no idea what you earn, but some people earn more, some people have partners that earn more, some people have small or no mortgages, some people have an index linked final salary scheme pension.  Some people live on a financial knife edge, and some people have delusions of grandeur. 

Some people have spreadsheets showing every penny of spend, so they know exactly what they "waste" 

Some people have different priorities in life. 

I could probably afford to lease a car, and could definately have justified it over the last 4 years instead of driving my omega. I reckon my fuel bill would have halved if I'd leased a sensible car for £200.  I'd be squids in. 

Sone people have different lives.   My sister for example lives alone, has paid off her mortgage, and earns £40k a year.  I reckon she has a good £12k spare. Every 6 or 7 years she pays cash for a new 1.25 fiesta at the local Ford dealer. 

8 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

You can lease a car (like a corsa or ibiza) for under £150 p/m if you shop carefully and do a relatively low mileage, I sorted a friend out with a Seat Leon lease last year, £600 down and £145 a month for 3 years, I know people who are 'skint' who spend more than that on fags and booze in a month, 

A brand new car under warranty for under £170 a month if you amortise the numbers, which will need one service in that time, no tax, no tyres, no mot to worry about, no breakdowns or costly repairs to worry about, in fact I'd say if you want fixed cost motoring leases are the 'cheapest' way of 'owning' a new car and hassle free motoring for the average person.

£129 a month in my local rag, for something small.  That's £3.25 a day? 

Or if you work a 37 hour week, that is £0,80 per hour 

Less than £1600 a year. 

11 minutes ago, New POD said:

In the words of Harry Enfield's Comic Brummie (bricklayer?), a Mr Loadsamoney. "Yam considerably reacher than Yow "

I've no idea what you earn, but some people earn more, some people have partners that earn more, some people have small or no mortgages, some people have an index linked final salary scheme pension.  Some people live on a financial knife edge, and some people have delusions of grandeur. 

Some people have spreadsheets showing every penny of spend, so they know exactly what they "waste" 

Some people have different priorities in life. 

I could probably afford to lease a car, and could definately have justified it over the last 4 years instead of driving my omega. I reckon my fuel bill would have halved if I'd leased a sensible car for £200.  I'd be squids in. 

Sone people have different lives.   My sister for example lives alone, has paid off her mortgage, and earns £40k a year.  I reckon she has a good £12k spare. Every 6 or 7 years she pays cash for a new 1.25 fiesta at the local Ford dealer. 

You’re quite right. I also forgot to mention the cost of fuel, which would be substantially less for a little Kia than a TT. The saving equates to numerous monthly lease payments!

My dad's due to change his motability car and he said the same thing to me, there's nothing out there that's either right, or he likes, so he's signed for another ioniq for a term as he knows what he'll get having had a 15 plate one for the last few years. 

Its like mobile phones, I struggled choosing a new one, their all the same*! 

30 minutes ago, Peter C said:

Wait guys! We don’t want to turn this site into Leaseshite!

The perfect life, would be a couple of shitters one for weekend use, and one for long term restoration, and a decent lease car for the "peace of mind" of knowing your commute would happen. 

21 minutes ago, New POD said:

The perfect life, would be a couple of shitters one for weekend use, and one for long term restoration, and a decent lease car for the "peace of mind" of knowing your commute would happen. 

That pretty much sums me up:

Long term project:

9BD5FFAE-8118-4CDE-A48D-9996A7BBA05D.jpeg.26ccea32f5db5a63c1d4d0a162bc8e78.jpeg

Good weather shitter:

A99E4FED-0FE5-4219-AD30-98CBB0CE897E.thumb.jpeg.a3c1726400f7ddb15de4fbf2319e100f.jpeg

Hassle free reliable daily for the past 3 years, one for me, the other for the wife:

D59B365B-ED6A-4A8B-B41B-576B27DAE22F.thumb.jpeg.2c0261770311642aa9fd1ebc53c41c8e.jpeg

And my new daily:

2F7A0E20-BB19-4C48-8CA0-311DDCF364FE.thumb.png.d5f366fe5d4650f8066845fcfa7fa600.png

I've been thinking about this some more.

As a summary of my comments and other contributions, to keep a decent old car going, the following costs are inevitable:

• Road tax - likely to be £300+ pa
  • Higher fuel bills. The TT would struggle to break 30MPG on an urban crawl. I am expecting 45ishMPG from the Kia.
  • MoT and associated repairs. Looking at the TT's MoT history, it hasn't been plain sailing
  • Tyres, sooner or later will need replacement
  • Servicing, even if you do it yourself, an oil filter and oil change for the TT cost £50
  • Brake discs, pads, exhausts...
  • Cambelt / water pump, DMF, clutch, coil packs, DPF, wheel bearings... are all consumables nowadays and cost £££
  • Electrical gremlins
  • Improvements, such as DAB / Bluetooth head units, phone kits....

Don't get me wrong, I love old cars and nothing makes me happier than taking my W123/W124 for a drive but on that cold winter's morning, when you are leaving for work at 8am and you absolutely have to get somewhere on time, there's nothing like the luxury of having a new car outside.