My new e-furty [SOLD]

JJ0063

I missed  out on a gorgeous poverty spec  318 tourer in white on a K plate with 70000 miles on the clock about 9 years back for £500 as the seller could only  arrange pick it up when I was away on holiday and have been gutted ever since as now finding a nice example requires a second mortgage.

I did find a cheaper alternative though and got myself a nice low mileage 318ti as it shares the E30 rear suspension rather than Z axle  and even the interior is very similar rather than the plush interior you find in the  normal E36.

I know a lot of  Ti Compacts have now given up their M42/44 engines for E30s as  it’s quite a common mod and the only colour to have a 3 series in is Hellrot.

I paid £795 for mine about 5/6 years ago and I’m the 3rd owner and the previous owner to me had the car from 3 years old when he bought it from a friend of his who bought it new and is absolutely immaculate and will never part with it and actually had a recall for a steering joint it missed out on last year free of charge.

A18CCF29-D6F6-4AAA-9CA2-9FB29CC9FC10.jpeg

52BC6E6D-63E2-4F4E-B739-5091AAACEEBA.jpeg

Ive always liked the compact.

My late father had a very similar one to yours about 12 years ago but it was fully colour coded and had different wheels to yours. When he got it, it had under 50k on the clock and the plate T27 BMW. I was in awe when he got it as it was before everyone had BM’s (prior to finance/leasing taking over!) and it was immaculate.

That looks well worth preserving in the original condition, just a few mechanical jobs and any reversible wheel upgrades, though I must admit to a rather perverse liking for these original 80s BMW 14" trims. My mate's 318i bought for £500 back in the day had them too.

img184a.jpg

This thing is lovely.  Don’t change a thing!

Are the sills supposed to be black?  I’ve got it in my head that they are.  But then an older chap wouldn’t mess with the car he bought brand new...

I had a D reg 316 years  ago.  It was a 1.8 carb and went quite well for what it was.  I think I paid £600 for it.  Probably worth a lot more today!

3 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

Are the sills supposed to be black?  I’ve got it in my head that they are.  But then an older chap wouldn’t mess with the car he bought brand new...

I had a D reg 316 years  ago.  It was a 1.8 carb and went quite well for what it was.  I think I paid £600 for it.  Probably worth a lot more today!

Thanks! 

hmm, I’ll have to do some research. He bought it 26yrs ago which was what ‘94 - so it has had an owner before him.

I’ll update this when I’ve found out!

Depending on how much you paid for it I think you already made a decent profit. A red original well cared for E30 2-door can be worth serious money to the right person soon, what a lovely car! I'd stick to factory available upgrades and leavev it at that! Please no road salt exposure! 😂

5 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

The majority I have seen all have black satin sills. Even if they have factory sill covers on, beneath them they are satin black.

On 11/6/2020 at 8:53 AM, Mr Laurence said:

prestigeplate_sales on Facebook did me a set a few month ago and I was really happy with the result. I think a few others here have bought from the same place too

https://m.facebook.com/prestigeplatesales/?__tn__=%2Cg

Love the E30 by the way! It’s been some time since I’ve seen one so unmolested and well loved

Ordered a set of these today, his plates look great!

Nothing to report, I just keep cleaning it then putting the cover back on. 

Waiting for the new plates to arrive along with a set of tailored floor mats to make the inside look even nicer. 

Can’t see myself really using it until spring now, it’s going in on 23rd Nov for the clutch and timing belt, after that I think it’ll get tucked up for winter!

821B5741-FF50-42D4-AAA8-84D8172812C8.jpeg

A0754DA4-0B56-4CBB-B7CC-ED8D6C17227B.jpeg

On 11/7/2020 at 5:10 PM, Cheezey said:

A set of BBS wheels and some slightly lower springs aren’t anything that can’t be easily reversed. 

Agree

On 11/7/2020 at 6:20 PM, Vince70 said:

the only colour to have a 3 series in is Hellrot.

Disagree - not there's anything wrong with it, but this looked amazing - Lagoon Green I think

P3310346

i remember a mate buying a g reg 325is wagon. auto for $995 off ebay. had a years test on it. he went and collected it from leeds, and took us for  a blast. it went well and was ok, then it shit the auto. muggins here had to slap another in it. removing the old one, the top bellhousing bolt rounded. i finally got the new auto in to find it was fucked. eventually it got manual swapped, but the rot was so terminal by that point it got sold to some drifters. 

only other one ive been near was a late 325is 2 door manual with the mtech2 kit. in a deep  grey, it got dropped off at the scrappy i worked at. lovely looking thing, had recaros and all sorts. the boss was gonna bail it, being 2007 and worth fuck all,  but i stashed it in my workshop on site, washed it off, hoovered it and put it in the yards for sale bit. sold a day later for 600 quid.   can still hear it at full chat as it left!

1 minute ago, loserone said:

Plates look great! Garage looks remarkably alright considering.

It’s actually quite decent. Mission to put it together and I need to anchor it down more but it seems good. Going to try and rig up a solar light inside too, for winter antics.

7 minutes ago, Agila said:

It did come with 4 of those which I’m currently using in each corner just in the soil but it’s pulling out rather than down as it’s under the cover if that makes sense. I’m going to see how it goes but yeah your suggestion did cross my mind! 

F8D4C65E-1988-4275-B071-5169DF65239E.thumb.jpeg.435f67f91bc2c4567f4971f0ce88b1bb.jpeg
This was rocking the little old lady with plastic trims look for its first 10 years in our ownership, only fitting as that’s who owned it for the first 20. But last summer we went mad and  put these Bottletops on it. Kept the steels and trims in the garden, obvs.

Its Boris extension ran out last week and it needs an exhaust, must sort that out, although it only did450 miles in the last 18 months.

19 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

F8D4C65E-1988-4275-B071-5169DF65239E.thumb.jpeg.435f67f91bc2c4567f4971f0ce88b1bb.jpeg
This was rocking the little old lady with plastic trims look for its first 10 years in our ownership, only fitting as that’s who owned it for the first 20. But last summer we went mad and  put these Bottletops on it. Kept the steels and trims in the garden, obvs.

Its Boris extension ran out last week and it needs an exhaust, must sort that out, although it only did450 miles in the last 18 months.

Lovely looking car!  Do you know where it started out in life?  We had F71 PFR - an Audi 90 when I was a child.  Came from Bolton I think.

6 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

Lovely looking car!  Do you know where it started out in life?  We had F71 PFR - an Audi 90 when I was a child.  Came from Bolton I think.

I’m not sure where the history is at the moment , but from memory it was owned by a lady with a Chinese sounding name from Lytham St Anne’s for the first 3 years , then ended up in Slough with another lady until we bought it in 2011.

7 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Noice. 

I am on the hunt for wheels now, BBS are crazy money so I’ll probably end up with bottletops too!

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a text to say the E30 is ready for collection after having the new clutch and timing belt kit.

The mechanic is a friend of the family who has MOT’d and maintained the families cars for 25 years plus.. I just left the car with him 2 weeks ago and said no rush just do it between jobs or something.

I supplied the parts, so thought I’d be looking at maybe £300 in labour.

£100 he’s asked for, WTF. He’ll be getting double that!