My new e-furty [SOLD]

JJ0063

Lovely, looks very original. Zinnobar red?

Liking those disc type wheel trims; easy to forget these days that plenty came out of the factory like that.  That Long term former keeper has helped save it from probably people like my younger self in say, 1999.  

I used to pilot a 318i tourer, I really rate the E30 as a car to drive. I wouldn't say they're underpowered but I had a friend who had various 320/325s which are obviously a lot faster. 

Mine did end up lightly modified with lowering springs so handled extremely well on its BBS alloys.

Just keep it polished/garaged to stop that red fading!

Cambelt is an easy DIY job as long as you remember the bottom pulley is retained by a circle of bolts around its circumference and don't give yourself a hernia trying to undo the large hex in the centre - that's the nose of the crank...

1 hour ago, HMC said:

Liking those disc type wheel trims; easy to forget these days that plenty came out of the factory like that.  That Long term former keeper has helped save it from probably people like my younger self in say, 1999.  

It looks more like hellrot. Zinnobar was darker Iirc. 

Thanks all

Yeah it’s Hellrot red, standard spec on this model is odd - central locking and electric mirrors as standard, not a lot else! I quite like how basic it us though. 

I won’t tackle the belt myself as I want it doing properly - hoping to hear back with a quote today from a local garage I know tends to a few older cars so hopefully they don’t pull my trousers down.

I have toyed with some period OEM BBS wheels that the higher spec ones came with and I still might be tempted as I’m not blown away by the trims, but I do really like how unmolested it is too. 

Cheers

8 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Oh yeah, I’d really like a set of period/dealer plates if anyone can recommend a site, the front has been replaced and the rear is a little worse for wear.

prestigeplate_sales on Facebook did me a set a few month ago and I was really happy with the result. I think a few others here have bought from the same place too

https://m.facebook.com/prestigeplatesales/?__tn__=%2Cg

Love the E30 by the way! It’s been some time since I’ve seen one so unmolested and well loved

15 hours ago, HMC said:

Agreed, 100% I would have bought this from ebay for £300 then molested it with lowering springs and AC Schnitzer replica alloys.

20 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Don't change a thing on that.  Kept absolutely factory, that can only increase in value.  It needs to be kept dry too.

That’s pretty much the plan! Some vital maintenance then to hopefully pick up some sort of wooden/tin garage from Facebook or gumtree to put it in. Live in a rented house so need something I can take down easily. 

That’s pretty much the plan! Some vital maintenance then to hopefully pick up some sort of wooden/tin garage from Facebook or gumtree to put it in. Live in a rented house so need something I can take down easily. 
Don't go tin, most of them are a nightmare for condensation.

A mate has something like this, assuming it's well tethered it should do ok and won't rub the paint the way a cover will

"3.3x4.8m Carport Tent / Portable Garage, PE 260 g/m², dark green - House of Tents" https://www.houseoftents.co.uk/Portable-Garage/7808.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhZT9BRDmARIsAN2E-J3RD2kOpdAt0O14pbHKK_2BxTix9-4cLvd570lZyIbfRQKWyHNiELYaAs3ZEALw_wcB

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh that's lovely, I recall that BMW in the 80's were a bit weird with spec, nothing came with a radio as standard and had to be ordered. I think the BBS spoked  wheels would be the only acceptable mod !  

There's a mint 320i 5 door in hellrot near me but I've resisted the urge to knock on his door for this long ...........

Love a red two door, especially one that’s not been owned by a 21 year old boyo with a jaunty baseball cap and a weird enthusiasm to lower it to the floor and put big alloys on it. 

my brother had one identical (318i) same colour and trim. It got sold a fair few years ago for £500. He should have kept it. Would have been worth a bit more now! 

Love this - as posted in your wanted thread here is mine - just a couple of years younger but very similar history - elderly owner etc - but I have had mine 10 years.  So rare to have lower spec that haven’t been molested.  Mine has power steering but otherwise similar spec to yours.  Great to drive and always gets attention.  If you have any questions don’t hesitate to give me a shout - I used mine daily for the first year but now it’s occasional Sunday toy!  Mine is Brilliant Red.

Great purchase - I think you got a really good deal there!

E9F32910-F289-40F8-A32B-DA89BA248289.jpeg

50 minutes ago, seacow said:

Love this - as posted in your wanted thread here is mine - just a couple of years younger but very similar history - elderly owner etc - but I have had mine 10 years.  So rare to have lower spec that haven’t been molested.  Mine has power steering but otherwise similar spec to yours.  Great to drive and always gets attention.  If you have any questions don’t hesitate to give me a shout - I used mine daily for the first year but now it’s occasional Sunday toy!  Mine is Brilliant Red.

Love yours mate, lovely cars!

I can’t stop driving the thing, it’s awesome. Looking forward to getting the clutch done as it’s slightly annoying having to be quite so gentle with it. 

checking under the rear seats for rust today - glad to report it’s spotless but did find this electronic device, anyone got any ideas what it is? I should have pulled the tape off to see what the complete name was. 

EDIT: Gemini 1031.. seems to be an alarm but I can’t find a speaker or anything so possibly just remnants of an old one? Think I’ll just leave it alone as I don’t have any fobs etc. 

6B193466-8E14-49DF-A165-8D8332C1BD8C.jpeg

4513EAA8-F6A4-442C-87B8-916B2F4ADF2E.jpeg

29 minutes ago, seacow said:

Classic photo location for car pics. I think a dealer even uses it for all of their adverts. 

Both of these E30s are lovely. A set of BBS wheels and some slightly lower springs aren’t anything that can’t be easily reversed. 
An old friend had a few E30s. Always nice to drive. He had a roughish 325i touring with a sport body kit he bought cheap from a shady trader. Never seen another like it since.