Sharleys Reliant Robin 1993 LX

sharley17194

So, i always wanted a 3 wheeler as to me they are everything that's wrong with a car and should never have existed - ok so ive opened with a really strong statement there but bare with me. 2 years ago i bought the green whistle as it became known, it never ra n right and always seemed to break without 2 miles of my house. I royally lost the love for it as it clearly hated me so the one day it ran right i promptly sold it, picture of it below. At the same time i bought the green machine, my friend bought an equal terrible blue one. We long dreamed of doing long road trips of misery and really finding out what its like to nearly die on every corner. Sadly his didn't run well either so that was also promptly sold just after i sold mine.

post-20764-0-61747800-1553980895.thumb.jpeg.a15b7aa842e02fb9210e8a935674d312.jpeg

Recently Tom and i have been thinking about the Reliants we never gave a fair chance too and started to feel like we never gave this brand a true chance. Fast forward to 4th November, Tom and i were innocently browsing ebay when he came across a pair of Robins (nope not Peter and Paul but that is what these are now called!) He automatically claimed the blue one on the grounds its mot'd and to took the white one on the grounds it was cheaper....yes im that tight! 

1162871621_s-l500(1).jpg.ee3a043b128aede8fb03f085e25a3fc3.jpg

I guess this leads me onto what are we going to do with these....i really do not know!!! First step will be to get mine MOT'd but im quite looking forward to the journey and lets hope it doesnt all end in tears again!!!

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.c63e8a5ae3fe88f6b326d91768cd72a1.jpg226659773_s-l1600(8).thumb.jpg.3e12508e9939c13a758280d88df6c24c.jpg563322062_s-l1600(7).thumb.jpg.9b83933e8cf5be0a06fb7fb10ad261e2.jpg1305629986_s-l1600(6).thumb.jpg.0f845fa451ed10d27d4209f03042dafc.jpg2142498213_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.d8195fb927fc535e73121cc06ceb22fb.jpg1047960966_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.9426b88eefae5a978b0785e99caf15f3.jpg1844218118_s-l1600(3).thumb.jpg.b488c5b987077eaec05aadc8cb48cc66.jpg1140549246_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.d0a9688fcadbcb96b71d485d5de180fa.jpg810070269_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.096f5dac03d65128cf36f747deabd596.jpg

If anyone also has a love for life at 3/4 full please feel free to contact me!

Wow those were cherished inside! Does the empty milk carton indicate overheating?

When it opens again and you can take one to France go over - they are fascinated by them there - there are actually French people who import them to use - I have even met one at a car show! 

(On the the other hand there is some bloke in France saying of the UK - Citroen 2CV they are fascinated by them - there are actually English people who import them to use!) 

Interesting cars - I look forward to following your adventures.

If you decide to replace the drivers seat in the white one for the correct cloth trimmed one, I would be interested in the old vinyl one as a spare for my 1930 Morris Cowley Speedster which has reliant seats of that type fitted.

I had a 1971 Reliant Regal Supervan III 21E many years ago, which I scrapped due to galloping chassis rot. Just before Only Fools And Horses started......

5 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Wow those were cherished inside! Does the empty milk carton indicate overheating?

When it opens again and you can take one to France go over - they are fascinated by them there - there are actually French people who import them to use - I have even met one at a car show! 

(On the the other hand there is some bloke in France saying of the UK - Citroen 2CV they are fascinated by them - there are actually English people who import them to use!) 

Interesting cars - I look forward to following your adventures.

They do look a bit hanging but none of my fleet are pristine! The milk bottle is definitely evidence of over heating tho! A trip to France would be ace!

5 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Grim; well bought!

Thank you sir 

2 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

Hmm.... 850cc? 

Alrighty.... I'm 993cc >> BUT .... You have 3wheels (I have 3cyls)

Looking on with interest..... ;)

I have no idea, they have engine and one goes brum. Not mine tho

46 minutes ago, spartacus said:

Wow, they're hanging! 

I'm in, let's see where this goes!

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder 

19 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

If you decide to replace the drivers seat in the white one for the correct cloth trimmed one, I would be interested in the old vinyl one as a spare for my 1930 Morris Cowley Speedster which has reliant seats of that type fitted.

I had a 1971 Reliant Regal Supervan III 21E many years ago, which I scrapped due to galloping chassis rot. Just before Only Fools And Horses started......

Seats will definitely be swapped as I don't fit with them jn! I need a reclining seat.

All of the yesssss! I can see a Reliant in my future... ideal commuter I reckon... plus my boss would really really really hate one of his senior managers turning up daily in one... which makes me want one even more! 

Well bought... slightly jealous.... of your mate who has the working one.

10 hours ago, yes oui si said:

This is an itch that I need to scratch. 

Fit a Suzuki Cappuccino engine and gearbox, laugh your way to A&E. 

Im not sure going faster is what a Robin needs. If I'm honest slower is probably better!

8 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I love the way they did a ten bob update of the outside cosmetics but did absolutely nothing to the interior so it's exactly like a Rialto. If Autoshite was a car manufacturer it would be this halfarsed.

I can't understand how they made these so late as the early 2000s. Someone went into a dealers and should yes! Thats what i want to pay nearly 10k for!reliant is definitely the autoshite car builder of the century lol 

8 hours ago, brownnova said:

All of the yesssss! I can see a Reliant in my future... ideal commuter I reckon... plus my boss would really really really hate one of his senior managers turning up daily in one... which makes me want one even more! 

I'll be taking mine to work if this one works properly. 

9 hours ago, brownnova said:

I was the manager for Engineering, Development and Test at a company which designed, manufactured and tested liquid propellant rocket engines for spacecraft (attitude control, station keeping and apogee insertion).  When we had visitors, particularly from the 'States, I would park my '61 Reliant next to the Director's car - or my Ginetta G26 if it was working on those days.  Apart from enjoying the inverse snobbery, it meant I did not get asked to drive them to the pub for a boozy business lunch.

Reliant three wheelers are always basic and minimal in terms of trim and fixtures compared with a 4 wheeler because there was a legal weight limit to satisfy.

2 hours ago, RayMK said:

I was the manager for Engineering, Development and Test at a company which designed, manufactured and tested liquid propellant rocket engines for spacecraft (attitude control, station keeping and apogee insertion).  When we had visitors, particularly from the 'States, I would park my '61 Reliant next to the Director's car - or my Ginetta G26 if it was working on those days.  Apart from enjoying the inverse snobbery, it meant I did not get asked to drive them to the pub for a boozy business lunch.

Reliant three wheelers are always basic and minimal in terms of trim and fixtures compared with a 4 wheeler because there was a legal weight limit to satisfy.

I like your thinking!

7 hours ago, RayMK said:

Which  company? Armstrong Siddeley or one of the successors?

21 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Which  company? Armstrong Siddeley or one of the successors?

The succession was MOD, Royal Ordnance, BAe, Atlantic Research Corp. and AMPAC whilst I was there (1972-2008). Based at Westcott, Bucks. Since then, ownership has passed through MOOG and is now with the Norwegians but they are still at Westcott. The best known rocket engines from our line-up were under the LEROS brand.  Apogee insertion engines can run continuously for over 30 minutes and ACS thrusters typically have an operational life of over 17 years.  

Sharley's Reliants may manage to equal those stats soon but closer to home.

Edited by RayMK
ACCS corrected to ACS (keyboard bounce!)

Thats actually more interesting than my job lol 

3 hours ago, RayMK said:

The succession was MOD, Royal Ordnance, BAe, Atlantic Research Corp. and AMPAC whilst I was there (1972-2008). Based at Westcott, Bucks. Since then, ownership has passed through MOOG and is now with the Norwegians but they are still at Westcott. The best known rocket engines from our line-up were under the LEROS brand.  Apogee insertion engines can run continuously for over 30 minutes and ACS thrusters typically have an operational life of over 17 years.  

Sharley's Reliants may manage to equal those stats soon but closer to home.

I've always wanted one - but they're so expensive these days. There was on that'd been laid up for years local to me - she had it up for offers (it didn't start and had unknown issues) and ended up selling it for just shy of a grand in the end. Mental.

They look good though! Very jealous. Can I ask how much you paid?

£1000 fir the pair. 

35 minutes ago, SmokinWaffle said:

I've always wanted one - but they're so expensive these days. There was on that'd been laid up for years local to me - she had it up for offers (it didn't start and had unknown issues) and ended up selling it for just shy of a grand in the end. Mental.

They look good though! Very jealous. Can I ask how much you paid?

The Robins are already not quite going to plan.

Both Robins were due to arrive yesterday. The driver arrived early around 8am to load both and head to mine. I got a call about 8:40 to say they wont fit, 'When i asked what do you mean they don't fit? They reply yeah funny story....my bed is shorter than i thought....by 6 inches. These things happen so im not annoyed with my driver at all hes delivered a few cars for me and its a genuine cockup. I'm a little annoyed because a double delivery would have been cool.

So at this point Tom is heading to mine in the hope of driving his blue one back, so i asked the delivery driver could you bring the blue one as that ones needed, no can do the white one is on first now its stuck....

The driver heads to mine with the white one, my surprise is ruined and toms on his way to drive a car which isnt there.....so yeah all going rather well!! NOT!

I dont want to dwell on the negatives, what i have bought is an absolute peach, its perfect for anuyhing. I could race it, i could scrap it, i could restore it, i could turn it into a spaceship....i dont think thats ever been done before. What im not going to do is give up on it. Maybe a little....

Please let me know which way i should go with this.....as it stands i am at a bit of a lull point:

1 hour ago, sharley17194 said:

I could race it, i could scrap it, i could restore it, i could turn it into a spaceship....

Please let me know which way i should go with this.....as it stands i am at a bit of a lull point:

Shortened version.

What to do with it? Check water first thing. Then get it running. Check for spark, if no spark clean points. Check for fuel, brrrrm.

If no brrrm , bit of easy start down carb. 

If it has brakes, short test drive, If no brakes, best to fix brakes first.

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

If you can't make it work as a car you can at least keep fish in that headlight.

I did think a couple of unit fish would be nice, i could keep the headlight on the shelf?

2 hours ago, Mally said:

Shortened version.

What to do with it? Check water first thing. Then get it running. Check for spark, if no spark clean points. Check for fuel, brrrrm.

If no brrrm , bit of easy start down carb. 

If it has brakes, short test drive, If no brakes, best to fix brakes first.

Damn they stole my idea! 

2 hours ago, sgtberbatov said:

What does he use as a transporter? A Mini? 

no idea be hell he cant measure lol