Sharleys Reliant Robin 1993 LX

sharley17194

On 11/29/2020 at 6:56 PM, doug said:

Hi Tom, in one of the earlier videos we got a little glimpse of your motorbike, what is it? Looked like sort of XT/SR with an alloy tank.

It's an '89 Suzuki DR600 with a cut down frame and pre-60s BSA tank and arches. Another one of my too many toys! Fuel tank is only 4.5L so it isn't ideal for any further than about 50 miles!

Interior went back together on the Blue one today after the headgasket, modified manifolds, and changing the entire lock set. I hoovered so much fag ash and metal shavings out of the thinnest carpet ever fitted to a car!

Interesting fact, the Reliant Robin ignition barrel is not a Mini barrel as I found out!  The barrel is the same angle and column bore but it required a bit of wiring adjustment to make it fit.

Simon you need to pull your finger out on the white one so we can have a group test!

PXL_20201201_121704349.jpg

1 hour ago, Tommyboy12 said:

It's an '89 Suzuki DR600 with a cut down frame and pre-60s BSA tank and arches. Another one of my too many toys! Fuel tank is only 4.5L so it isn't ideal for any further than about 50 miles!

Thank fuck its a DR, this forum has only enough room for one xt/sr/reliant owner

First test drive of the blue one did not go well... Traditionally the front coilover is attached at both ends. In the pic below the 'bottom' of the coilover mount can be seen on the right and so the spring ejected itself out the bottom of the car. This car passed an MoT this year...PXL_20201203_174540153.thumb.jpg.ff04d8529441db586d2d4e20d18b2607.jpg

PXL_20201203_205928486.MP.jpg

PXL_20201203_202342842.jpg

Good news!

Blue Peter now has a new (old) front coilover. Turns out the Reliant had a form of structural shock absorber similar to aftermarket coilovers. So basically the bottom of the shock was rotten and it just collapsed on the first speed bump. As previously mentioned the arm is in great nick. Potentially a replacement. But it's back together now. Picture included of massive shock rot.

I had to play with the brake light switch too as it turns out the brake lights weren't illuminating when I pressed the pedal. Anyone that's driven a Reliant knows how cramped the footwell is. Contorting yourself in and under the column from the outside floor by the drivers seat is painful and basically involved me jamming myself into the footwell and blindly fumbling for the switch while I stared at the floor. But now it's adjusted! Picture also included so you can play spot the brake switch!

IMG-20201207-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20201209-WA0012.jpeg

21 hours ago, Andrew353w said:

I loved the video! I think you ought to have taken it on the motorway, just to see how brave you are. I had a "M" reg (1995) Robin, that I regularly used on the M25, although in windy weather it was an "interesting" experience, to say the least! 

I think @Tommyboy12 did take it on the motorway....clearly more brave than me!

1 hour ago, sharley17194 said:

I think @Tommyboy12 did take it on the motorway....clearly more brave than me!

Think bravery isn't necessarily the issue...more familiarity with how three wheelers behave and confidence it's not going to fall apart and leave you stranded at the hard shoulder.

If you'd suggested to me taking my Invacar on a major road back when I first got her running I'd have laughed at you.  Nowadays though I'm quite happy to zip off down the A5 at 60-70 without a second thought.  Much to the confusion of some other road users.

Really do need to get a shot of another Robin/Rialto now I'm used to driving on three wheels, as I'm sure my memory and unfamiliarity with the car at the time made it seem far more unnerving.

Probably a good thing I don't have any room as if one turned up locally at the right price I'd probably not be able to resist temptation!

On 12/13/2020 at 5:50 PM, Andrew353w said:

I loved the video! I think you ought to have taken it on the motorway, just to see how brave you are. I had a "M" reg (1995) Robin, that I regularly used on the M25, although in windy weather it was an "interesting" experience, to say the least! 

I did indeed take it on the motorway! I went a whole 70mph for about 20 miles or so. The rather puny stereo doesnt do much for the immense racket that is going on around you! Rattling trim and the engine screaming away. Its much more comfortable at 60 than 70 but it is completely capable of motorway speed. I did manage to get 80mph out of my last one but im a bit wary of trying that in this one as its got some decrepit tyres on it. That being said youre barely using any throttle to maintain 70mph.

On the point of stability I think the main thing is just to be 'aware' youre driving a three wheeler. I have no issues driving it and im certainly not unnerved by it.

Done about 120 miles now since the suspension collapse. Its even done the school run and a tip run!

10 hours ago, Tommyboy12 said:

I did indeed take it on the motorway! I went a whole 70mph for about 20 miles or so. The rather puny stereo doesnt do much for the immense racket that is going on around you! Rattling trim and the engine screaming away. Its much more comfortable at 60 than 70 but it is completely capable of motorway speed. I did manage to get 80mph out of my last one but im a bit wary of trying that in this one as its got some decrepit tyres on it. That being said youre barely using any throttle to maintain 70mph.

On the point of stability I think the main thing is just to be 'aware' youre driving a three wheeler. I have no issues driving it and im certainly not unnerved by it.

Done about 120 miles now since the suspension collapse. Its even done the school run and a tip run!

Your progress is shameful, I got mine to run for 30 seconds 

stuck my robin on the lift at last after the damn c15 drove away on its own, more on that in my other thread. I do wish id not looked under it. I think its been in the sea!!!

If anyone tells you robins cant rust they are bloody lying.  my cars only two saving graces are....

1 - my head gasket is fine! sorry @Tommyboy12

2 - my front shock is also brand new! Which is a relief as i gave my spare to @Tommyboy12 to sort his knacker shock!

My exhaust is completely toasted and i have no idea who or what they were thinking when the tried to attach it...with bits of wire and what looks like a mouse mat?????

the gearbox earth is also attached to the zorst which amused me! 

oh and the speedy cable is shot...all in all a productive day finding issues.

4 hours ago, sharley17194 said:

stuck my robin on the lift at last after the damn c15 drove away on its own, more on that in my other thread. I do wish id not looked under it. I think its been in the sea!!!

If anyone tells you robins cant rust they are bloody lying.  my cars only two saving graces are....

1 - my head gasket is fine! sorry @Tommyboy12

2 - my front shock is also brand new! Which is a relief as i gave my spare to @Tommyboy12 to sort his knacker shock!

My exhaust is completely toasted and i have no idea who or what they were thinking when the tried to attach it...with bits of wire and what looks like a mouse mat?????

the gearbox earth is also attached to the zorst which amused me! 

oh and the speedy cable is shot...all in all a productive day finding issues.

Robins rust. Yes, it's a fact. Even the galvanised ones can corrode badly.  Late Rialtos seem to have better galvanising but they can also rot in awkward places e.g. on the top surfaces of the chassis which is hidden by the bodywork sitting on it.  Regals of the ohv variety used to suffer from severe chassis rust. Fortunately this occurred before the advent of structural underseal. My '66 Regal 3-25 was expertly* repaired* using double folded strips cut from Duckhams oil cans which were pop riveted along the lower parts of the main chassis rails - this was in 1972 i.e. on a 6 years old car!  Strangely, my current '61 Regal MKVI which I've owned since 1992 shows no signs of chassis rot, though the ancient fibreglass has required attention now and then. The resin seems to go powdery and fall away, leaving just the fibreglass mat blowing in the breeze.

Another corrosion proof* car is the Trabant. It has a lot of steel underneath which rots like hell.

I hope your Robin does not become too labour intensive.  It's a good read whichever way it goes.    

5 hours ago, RayMK said:

Robins rust. Yes, it's a fact. Even the galvanised ones can corrode badly.  Late Rialtos seem to have better galvanising but they can also rot in awkward places e.g. on the top surfaces of the chassis which is hidden by the bodywork sitting on it.  Regals of the ohv variety used to suffer from severe chassis rust. Fortunately this occurred before the advent of structural underseal. My '66 Regal 3-25 was expertly* repaired* using double folded strips cut from Duckhams oil cans which were pop riveted along the lower parts of the main chassis rails - this was in 1972 i.e. on a 6 years old car!  Strangely, my current '61 Regal MKVI which I've owned since 1992 shows no signs of chassis rot, though the ancient fibreglass has required attention now and then. The resin seems to go powdery and fall away, leaving just the fibreglass mat blowing in the breeze.

Another corrosion proof* car is the Trabant. It has a lot of steel underneath which rots like hell.

I hope your Robin does not become too labour intensive.  It's a good read whichever way it goes.    

Thanks bud, i have a similar hope, i have a very short attention span so if it takes to long ill probably forget about it. I really do not want to lift the body off the chassis so ill just paint the bits i can see. 

In terms of parts and spend i dont think it needs alot maybe 200 quid?

23 hours ago, Tommyboy12 said:

I think I got the *slightly* better deal

Only slightly at least I've not got to do a head gasket! 

3 hours ago, garellikatia said:

In terms of rust and corrosion it looked pretty solid 

We gave it a run over with the wire wheel and it does look pretty good underneath 

MoT time for the blue one. It failed!

Needs new tyres. There's a trailer tyre on the front and one of the (20+ year old) camacs on the back has a cut in it. So three new tyres on order!

Handbrake needs adjusting, bulb fell out the headlight, and the bumper had a sharp edge.

Nothing ten minutes with a screwdriver, spanner and duct tape won't fix!

PXL_20210111_092333231.jpg