Sharleys Reliant Robin 1993 LX

So, i always wanted a 3 wheeler as to me they are everything that's wrong with a car and should never have existed - ok so ive opened with a really strong statement there but bare with me. 2 years ago i bought the green whistle as it became known, it never ra n right and always seemed to break without 2 miles of my house. I royally lost the love for it as it clearly hated me so the one day it ran right i promptly sold it, picture of it below. At the same time i bought the green machine, my friend bought an equal terrible blue one. We long dreamed of doing long road trips of misery and really finding out what its like to nearly die on every corner. Sadly his didn't run well either so that was also promptly sold just after i sold mine.

post-20764-0-61747800-1553980895.thumb.jpeg.a15b7aa842e02fb9210e8a935674d312.jpeg

Recently Tom and i have been thinking about the Reliants we never gave a fair chance too and started to feel like we never gave this brand a true chance. Fast forward to 4th November, Tom and i were innocently browsing ebay when he came across a pair of Robins (nope not Peter and Paul but that is what these are now called!) He automatically claimed the blue one on the grounds its mot'd and to took the white one on the grounds it was cheaper....yes im that tight! 

1162871621_s-l500(1).jpg.ee3a043b128aede8fb03f085e25a3fc3.jpg

I guess this leads me onto what are we going to do with these....i really do not know!!! First step will be to get mine MOT'd but im quite looking forward to the journey and lets hope it doesnt all end in tears again!!!

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.c63e8a5ae3fe88f6b326d91768cd72a1.jpg226659773_s-l1600(8).thumb.jpg.3e12508e9939c13a758280d88df6c24c.jpg563322062_s-l1600(7).thumb.jpg.9b83933e8cf5be0a06fb7fb10ad261e2.jpg1305629986_s-l1600(6).thumb.jpg.0f845fa451ed10d27d4209f03042dafc.jpg2142498213_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.d8195fb927fc535e73121cc06ceb22fb.jpg1047960966_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.9426b88eefae5a978b0785e99caf15f3.jpg1844218118_s-l1600(3).thumb.jpg.b488c5b987077eaec05aadc8cb48cc66.jpg1140549246_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.d0a9688fcadbcb96b71d485d5de180fa.jpg810070269_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.096f5dac03d65128cf36f747deabd596.jpg

If anyone also has a love for life at 3/4 full please feel free to contact me!

Wow those were cherished inside! Does the empty milk carton indicate overheating?

When it opens again and you can take one to France go over - they are fascinated by them there - there are actually French people who import them to use - I have even met one at a car show! 

(On the the other hand there is some bloke in France saying of the UK - Citroen 2CV they are fascinated by them - there are actually English people who import them to use!) 

Interesting cars - I look forward to following your adventures.

If you decide to replace the drivers seat in the white one for the correct cloth trimmed one, I would be interested in the old vinyl one as a spare for my 1930 Morris Cowley Speedster which has reliant seats of that type fitted.

I had a 1971 Reliant Regal Supervan III 21E many years ago, which I scrapped due to galloping chassis rot. Just before Only Fools And Horses started......

5 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Wow those were cherished inside! Does the empty milk carton indicate overheating?

When it opens again and you can take one to France go over - they are fascinated by them there - there are actually French people who import them to use - I have even met one at a car show! 

(On the the other hand there is some bloke in France saying of the UK - Citroen 2CV they are fascinated by them - there are actually English people who import them to use!) 

Interesting cars - I look forward to following your adventures.

They do look a bit hanging but none of my fleet are pristine! The milk bottle is definitely evidence of over heating tho! A trip to France would be ace!

5 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Grim; well bought!

Thank you sir 

2 hours ago, tooSavvy said:

Hmm.... 850cc? 

Alrighty.... I'm 993cc >> BUT .... You have 3wheels (I have 3cyls)

Looking on with interest..... ;)

I have no idea, they have engine and one goes brum. Not mine tho

46 minutes ago, spartacus said:

Wow, they're hanging! 

I'm in, let's see where this goes!

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder 

19 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

If you decide to replace the drivers seat in the white one for the correct cloth trimmed one, I would be interested in the old vinyl one as a spare for my 1930 Morris Cowley Speedster which has reliant seats of that type fitted.

I had a 1971 Reliant Regal Supervan III 21E many years ago, which I scrapped due to galloping chassis rot. Just before Only Fools And Horses started......

Seats will definitely be swapped as I don't fit with them jn! I need a reclining seat.

All of the yesssss! I can see a Reliant in my future... ideal commuter I reckon... plus my boss would really really really hate one of his senior managers turning up daily in one... which makes me want one even more! 

Well bought... slightly jealous.... of your mate who has the working one.

10 hours ago, yes oui si said:

This is an itch that I need to scratch. 

Fit a Suzuki Cappuccino engine and gearbox, laugh your way to A&E. 

Im not sure going faster is what a Robin needs. If I'm honest slower is probably better!

8 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

I love the way they did a ten bob update of the outside cosmetics but did absolutely nothing to the interior so it's exactly like a Rialto. If Autoshite was a car manufacturer it would be this halfarsed.

I can't understand how they made these so late as the early 2000s. Someone went into a dealers and should yes! Thats what i want to pay nearly 10k for!reliant is definitely the autoshite car builder of the century lol 

8 hours ago, brownnova said:

All of the yesssss! I can see a Reliant in my future... ideal commuter I reckon... plus my boss would really really really hate one of his senior managers turning up daily in one... which makes me want one even more! 

I'll be taking mine to work if this one works properly. 

9 hours ago, brownnova said:

I was the manager for Engineering, Development and Test at a company which designed, manufactured and tested liquid propellant rocket engines for spacecraft (attitude control, station keeping and apogee insertion).  When we had visitors, particularly from the 'States, I would park my '61 Reliant next to the Director's car - or my Ginetta G26 if it was working on those days.  Apart from enjoying the inverse snobbery, it meant I did not get asked to drive them to the pub for a boozy business lunch.

Reliant three wheelers are always basic and minimal in terms of trim and fixtures compared with a 4 wheeler because there was a legal weight limit to satisfy.

2 hours ago, RayMK said:

I was the manager for Engineering, Development and Test at a company which designed, manufactured and tested liquid propellant rocket engines for spacecraft (attitude control, station keeping and apogee insertion).  When we had visitors, particularly from the 'States, I would park my '61 Reliant next to the Director's car - or my Ginetta G26 if it was working on those days.  Apart from enjoying the inverse snobbery, it meant I did not get asked to drive them to the pub for a boozy business lunch.

Reliant three wheelers are always basic and minimal in terms of trim and fixtures compared with a 4 wheeler because there was a legal weight limit to satisfy.

I like your thinking!

7 hours ago, RayMK said:

Which  company? Armstrong Siddeley or one of the successors?

21 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Which  company? Armstrong Siddeley or one of the successors?

The succession was MOD, Royal Ordnance, BAe, Atlantic Research Corp. and AMPAC whilst I was there (1972-2008). Based at Westcott, Bucks. Since then, ownership has passed through MOOG and is now with the Norwegians but they are still at Westcott. The best known rocket engines from our line-up were under the LEROS brand.  Apogee insertion engines can run continuously for over 30 minutes and ACS thrusters typically have an operational life of over 17 years.  

Sharley's Reliants may manage to equal those stats soon but closer to home.

Edited by RayMK
ACCS corrected to ACS (keyboard bounce!)

Thats actually more interesting than my job lol 

3 hours ago, RayMK said:

The succession was MOD, Royal Ordnance, BAe, Atlantic Research Corp. and AMPAC whilst I was there (1972-2008). Based at Westcott, Bucks. Since then, ownership has passed through MOOG and is now with the Norwegians but they are still at Westcott. The best known rocket engines from our line-up were under the LEROS brand.  Apogee insertion engines can run continuously for over 30 minutes and ACS thrusters typically have an operational life of over 17 years.  

Sharley's Reliants may manage to equal those stats soon but closer to home.

I've always wanted one - but they're so expensive these days. There was on that'd been laid up for years local to me - she had it up for offers (it didn't start and had unknown issues) and ended up selling it for just shy of a grand in the end. Mental.

They look good though! Very jealous. Can I ask how much you paid?

£1000 fir the pair. 

35 minutes ago, SmokinWaffle said:

I've always wanted one - but they're so expensive these days. There was on that'd been laid up for years local to me - she had it up for offers (it didn't start and had unknown issues) and ended up selling it for just shy of a grand in the end. Mental.

They look good though! Very jealous. Can I ask how much you paid?

The Robins are already not quite going to plan.

Both Robins were due to arrive yesterday. The driver arrived early around 8am to load both and head to mine. I got a call about 8:40 to say they wont fit, 'When i asked what do you mean they don't fit? They reply yeah funny story....my bed is shorter than i thought....by 6 inches. These things happen so im not annoyed with my driver at all hes delivered a few cars for me and its a genuine cockup. I'm a little annoyed because a double delivery would have been cool.

So at this point Tom is heading to mine in the hope of driving his blue one back, so i asked the delivery driver could you bring the blue one as that ones needed, no can do the white one is on first now its stuck....

The driver heads to mine with the white one, my surprise is ruined and toms on his way to drive a car which isnt there.....so yeah all going rather well!! NOT!

the other Robin has arrived now, its been hard due to lock down but Tom has done a video of his car, thats coming later but its not in much better shape than mine. at least his has a mot......

My car doesnt get any better the more i poke.

I dont want to dwell on the negatives, what i have bought is an absolute peach, its perfect for anuyhing. I could race it, i could scrap it, i could restore it, i could turn it into a spaceship....i dont think thats ever been done before. What im not going to do is give up on it. Maybe a little....

Please let me know which way i should go with this.....as it stands i am at a bit of a lull point:

1 hour ago, sharley17194 said:

I could race it, i could scrap it, i could restore it, i could turn it into a spaceship....

Please let me know which way i should go with this.....as it stands i am at a bit of a lull point:

Shortened version.

What to do with it? Check water first thing. Then get it running. Check for spark, if no spark clean points. Check for fuel, brrrrm.

If no brrrm , bit of easy start down carb. 

If it has brakes, short test drive, If no brakes, best to fix brakes first.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:27 AM, sharley17194 said:

I got a call about 8:40 to say they wont fit, 'When i asked what do you mean they don't fit? They reply yeah funny story....my bed is shorter than i thought....by 6 inches.

What does he use as a transporter? A Mini? 

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

If you can't make it work as a car you can at least keep fish in that headlight.

I did think a couple of unit fish would be nice, i could keep the headlight on the shelf?

2 hours ago, Mally said:

Shortened version.

What to do with it? Check water first thing. Then get it running. Check for spark, if no spark clean points. Check for fuel, brrrrm.

If no brrrm , bit of easy start down carb. 

If it has brakes, short test drive, If no brakes, best to fix brakes first.

Damn they stole my idea! 

2 hours ago, sgtberbatov said:

What does he use as a transporter? A Mini? 

no idea be hell he cant measure lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

So...we've got:

1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.

Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...

Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.

Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...

Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.

Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...
    • By dome
      This evening I venture forth into hitherto unknown lands (Kirkintilloch) to collect my latest acquisition.

Which, naturally, has issues.

I have purchased my first line of defence.

Which appears to have antigravity properties

More will follow this evening...
    • By sutty2006
      Usually my comute to work is boring and miserable, especially in winter. All of 4 miles doesnt even get the old girl warm. But yesterdays antics saw an audi Q7 side swipe me when he realised he was in the wrong lane and was too lazy to go back round the roundabout.

Now, I know this community is vast, and wide..... Ive found a drivers door in silver, but he doesnt have the rear. Has anyone seen or heard of anyone breaking/or a carlton in a scrappy thats silver? if need be, I'll get the door painted if its the wrong colour. Insurance have been informed due to the ill temper he had when we stopped... and the fact that he thought i was in the wrong when actually, I was right. (dash cams, i recommend them)

And yes, my old chod has been injured...... but she will live on!

• By The Moog
      Didn't bother to do a collection thread as was a 30min drive so fairly boring.

Yesterday I won this

Which is effectively going to replace the civic and the xantia.

Picked car from a bodywork guy in foreign lands (Yorkshire).

First thoughts are that I think it has been sitting for a while but started straight up. Apart from service bits and potentially a cambelt everything seems to be good with it. Comes pre dented.

Current is differently abled tax so that will need to be changed.

Windscreen has small crack in passenger side.

Runs really cold, this is after 30 miles of motorway

Mind you it honks. Properly honks. Not as much as the focus I got from Shadow but not far off.

List of jobs

Oil change
      Spark plugs
      Air filter
      Thermostat
      Rear boot struts
      Front discs and pads
      Cam belt plus bits
      Ball joints
      Drop links
      Rear anti roll bar bushes
      Stereo code
      Windscreen crack
      Swimming pool emptied from boot wheel well
      Seal rear light clusters

And a big does of cleaning
    • By BorniteIdentity
      This week, for the first time ever, I felt old. I have sciatica which swaps from one side to the other, arthritis in one hand and what I think is the beginnings of IBS. On top of that it took me 2 weeks to remember a registration number that once would take me 2 seconds, and I forgot my parent's wedding anniversary.

I'm only 32.

Shit. No I'm not. I'm 33. I forgot that too. (Genuinely)

So, it's about time I committed some of my tales to paper. Well, a shonky server... but that's the best you can do in 2016.

First up, a list of the cars I've owned (as best as I can remember) in chronological order.

Main Cars
      1985 VW Polo Formel E. C158 TRT. This was given to me even before I passed my test.

1991 Rover Metro S. J801 TAC. Bought about 3 months after I passed my test as I was convinced the Polo was about to shit its gearbox.

1987 Volvo 360 GLT. D899 CBJ ___ Managed three months in a Metro before the small car and smaller petrol tank became a bore.

Ford Mondeo and Honda Civic Coupe by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1999 Ford Mondeo Zetec. V384 DBJ. Still the most I've ever spent on a car. It was 3 years old and cost, from memory, about £8,000. Just think of the Rover R8s you could buy with that now!

1987 Volkswagen Golf GTI 8v by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1987 Volkswagen Golf GTI D79 CVV. I very nearly bought a MK1 Golf 1.1 but was persuaded, by my father amusingly, to buy this one from a different friend. From memory I gave about £500 for it, and sold it to some racers later that year for about £300. Amusingly, 16 year later I'd sell the Hartge wheels that came with the car for £530.

1999 Toyota Avensis CDX by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1999 Toyota Avensis CDX. V781 GDP. By far the best car I've ever had. Bought in 2002 for £5300, it had previously been a company car at British Telecom. I ran it from 62,000 to 174,000 before it became surplus to requirements. A German chap bought it on ebay for about £500 and drove over to collect it. Hero.

2001 Ford Mondeo Zetec by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      2001 Ford Mondeo Zetec. Y821 EEB. I should have loved this car. I gave £500 for it in 2008 which was stupidly cheap by anybody's standards. It needed 4 tyres (which actually was nice to pick good ones for once) and a coil spring. Sadly, it was just bill after bill after bill. I sold it and promised to never own another Ford. I nearly succeeded.

1998 Nissan Almera by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1998 Nissan Almera GX Auto. S58 NLO. My late Grandfather's car and, upon reflection, my first proper attempt at bangernomics. I bought it for £500 in 2008 from the estate and ran it for well over a year and 30,000 miles. It was also my first automatic which, whilst a bit dumb, did lock up into overdrive and give a good 36 mpg no matter how it was driven.

2004 Ford Fiesta 1.25 LX and 2006 Ford Focus 2.0 Ghia by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      2004 Ford Fiesta Zetec. AG53 BWL. My wife's car which I ran for a couple of years when I bought her a Focus as a wedding gift.

2003 Rover 75 by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      2003 Rover 75 Club SE. AX53 BFA. This is where my career as a serial car buyer really began. Ignoring all of the warning signs I decided to press a K Series into a daily 100 mile commute, which it did with aplomb. This wasn't actually the car I set out to buy, the one I'd agreed to buy OVERHEATED ON THE FORECOURT whilst I was doing the paperwork. Consequently I couldn't leave fast enough and bought a different car later that day.

2004 Toyota Avensis T30-X by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      2004 Toyota Avensis T3-X. KT53 DWZ. Sensible head back on, I decided to get back into something I trusted when my 3rd son was born. This was a lovely car, but not without its problems. The VVTi oil burning issues are well documented and do frequently occur. Ironically, this was less reliable than the Rover it replaced! Despite fearing the worst and 3 months off the road, the new owner has just MOTd it.

1999 Toyota Avensis SR by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1999 Toyota Avensis SR. V263 GDP. Back into bangernomics territory again. The last MK1 Avensis I had was the best car I'd ever had, so I hoped to replicate it with another T22 Avensis. This one came up for sale in my favourite (and rare) colour with a numberplate sequential to my previous car - so it was meant to be. I still have this now, and tomorrow it will tick around to 185,000 miles having been bought by me at 100,500.

Side Bitches

1974 Morris Mini 1000 by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1974 Morris Mini 1000. GEL 517N. Well, I always wanted one - and was young, free, single and well off at the time (2003). A memorable trip to buy it when I called my new girlfriend by my ex girlfriend's name 20 miles into a 200 mile weekend away. She's never forgiven or forgotten but we're still friends. Oh - and married.

1977 Ford Capri II GL by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1977 Ford Capri II 1600 GL. SMY 675R. I can't remember why I bought this, other than I thought it'd be amusing. It was bought from Norwich for £350 and was perfectly well behaved for the 8 months that I had it (other than a flasher unit expiring). I remember being shocked just how much the windscreen would ice up inside, and duly sold it in November to a guy who was going to drive it daily! It's still alive and now, apparently, black! (Update - it's now silver!!!)

1989 Volvo 340 DL by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1989 Volvo 340 DL. G67 AVN. I bought this for £80. Unbelievable. It was utterly bloody perfect. I wanted to do a banger rally which is why the guy gave it to me so cheap. I'm still yet to do that rally, but no longer have the car. I sold it for about £300 to a family who were clearly down on their luck who, I hope, still have the car.

1996 Toyota Granvia by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1996 Toyota Granvia. N775 JEV. My wife and I decided to increase our numbers further and, with our 4th son on the way, larger transport was required. We quickly realised you can either have 4 children and no apparel, or apparel and no children. After trying a very tired Mercedes Viano, the Granvia was found for 1/4 of the price and it's still here 2 years later. I can safely say that we'll never sell it - it really is another member of the family.

1993 Mercedes 190e by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1993 Mercedes 190e. L795 COJ. I've admired these cars since I was a child. In fact, one of the very few toy cars I still have from my childhood is a Mercedes 190e. Regular readers of "Memoirs from the Hard Shoulder" will know what a PITA this car has been since day 1, but I get the feeling it's a keeper. We'll see!

1983 Ford Sierra Base 1.6 by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1983 Ford Sierra Base. GVG 510Y. Not explicitly my car, but it should be documented here for reference. Oh - and the V5 is in my name. The story is online for all to read as to how five of us acquired what is believed to be the only remaining Ford Sierra Base. Make a brew and read it, it's a fantastic story.

1982 Ford Sierra L by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1982 Ford Sierra L. LCR 503Y. I accidentally won this on ebay for £520. Upon reflection, I shouldn't have sold it - but short stop of saying I regret it. I could never get truly comfortable driving it and, in fairness, I could scratch my Sierra itch with the base if I wanted. Sold it at a stupid profit of £1250. It is believed to be the oldest remaining Ford Sierra in the UK.

1979 Volvo 343 DL by Bornite Identity, on Flickr
      1979 Volvo 343 DL. DBY 466T As you'll see above, I'd had a 360GLT as a younger lad and fancied one of these earlier cars. The variomatic is, frankly, terrible but amusing. This car has just 8000 miles on the clock and inside was absolutely timewarp. Sadly, the huge bill for the Mercedes 190e cylinder head rebuild meant I had to sell this car shortly after acquiring it. Since then I've had a bit of money luck, and now realise I didn't need to sell it after all. Typical.

I think that's it. My arthritis is playing up even more now. I've left out a few cars that were actually my wife's, but if I find pictures will add them in at a later date. I'll run this as an ongoing thread on cars and what's happening.

Current SitRep:

Purple Avensis: Just about to click over 185,000. Minor drama this week when an HT lead split but otherwise utterly fantastic, fantastically boring and boringly reliable.

Granvia: Just done 1000 miles in a month around Norfolk, 6 up with suitcases. 31mpg achieved on the way up which is good for an old tub with a 3.0 Turbo Diesel on board. ODO displaying 175,000 which is a mix of miles and kilometers. Say 130,000 miles for argument's sake.

Mercedes: Being a PITA. It's had the top end completely rebuilt after the chain came off. Now needs welding to pass another MOT and the gearbox bearings are on strike. It's about to go into the garage for winter until I can stomach it again. 151,000 miles on the clock.

Sierra bASe: Still on sabbatical with AngryDicky who only took it bloody camping in cornwall! Legend.