The race against lockdown - BMW 530i - Dirt may affect the appearance of leather

w00dy

16 minutes ago, w00dy said:

Nope. Lazy box suits me fine.

A slightly less potato shot

spacer.png

When I had mine I was forever getting told I'd got it all wrong buying a manual. Just like doing it myself (changing gears I mean 🤭). Truly brilliant cars. The first posh car i had and spoilt me for anything else really. They're not outstanding at any one thing, they just do everything well!

• w00dy changed the title to The race against lockdown - BMW 530i
46 minutes ago, HMC said:

Love the whole spec- engine, gearbox and colour choices. Nice! You’ve obviously bought a good’un. My twice repeated experience of buying a ropey one made me want to set fire to them. 

E39s seem to be either great or painfully wallet draining. I've already had one of the former so I'm hoping this is another of the same.

That does look smart, my ideal spec of E39 too, 3 litre straight 6 with waft-o-matic. 😎

It's a shame the E39s have turned out so finicky to buy as secondhand cars, I had both the E28 and E34 versions back in the day and you just appraised them like any other old 70s/80s cars. If they weren't dissolving, didn't smoke and rattle and drove OK they were generally worth a punt. These E39s seemed to get a bit dicey after only 10-12 years.

13 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

That does look smart, my ideal spec of E39 too, 3 litre straight 6 with waft-o-matic. 😎

It's a shame the E39s have turned out so finicky to buy as secondhand cars, I had both the E28 and E34 versions back in the day and you just appraised them like any other old 70s/80s cars. If they weren't dissolving, didn't smoke and rattle and drove OK they were generally worth a punt. These E39s seemed to get a bit dicey after only 10-12 years.

I think the E39 really moved the game on in technology and options which makes them significantly more complicated than the earlier cars and definitely more fragile.

3 hours ago, Jamie said:

best wheels the dished 32's too - NICE.

Rare having an anthracite headliner on an SE spec car - and the ash grain trim, i retrofitted that in my sport, a classy looking trim indeed

I do love Style 32s. Had them on my 528i too.

spacer.png

The headliner really works with the interior. Whoever specced the car knew what they were doing, but I feel like they perhaps ought to have gone for shadow line window trim so I may change that. The trim is actually the boggo no-wood finish, but I think it looks great and very similar to the exterior.

29 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

Is that the one where petrol is like ONE BILLIONS POUNDS a litre? 

PS - nice car, Woody.

Ta. It's pricey so that no-one is ever there, meaning in the event of a big queue in the main services it's the quickest way to sausage roll happiness. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • w00dy changed the title to The race against lockdown - BMW 530i - Floor mat excitement
9 hours ago, w00dy said:

Very handsome. I did quite fancy a 7, but they seem to be a fair bit more expensive than an equivalent E39 at the moment.

That cost me 300 with MOT and was an individual model with special leather, seller thought it needed a new head a plug had had popped out and he'd messed up the helicoil, £50 timsert and it was as good as new, I sold it for 950 as I couldn't resist the profit. Should have kept it 

• w00dy changed the title to The race against lockdown - BMW 530i - Dirt may affect the appearance of leather
On 11/17/2020 at 6:13 PM, omegod said:

That cost me 300 with MOT and was an individual model with special leather, seller thought it needed a new head a plug had had popped out and he'd messed up the helicoil, £50 timsert and it was as good as new, I sold it for 950 as I couldn't resist the profit. Should have kept it 

It's crazy how cheap they got at one point. My 528i was £680 I think and I spent very little on it.

Gave the interior a bit of a scrub today to find out that it was actually very frubby.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Very satisfying.