To shite or not to shite ?

scorchio69

So guys got a conundrum that’s being plaguing me for the last four years ( there has been several shitters that have come and gone in this time) 

The thought is that I am getting on (43 in January) and I have passed that pivotal year where I should buy a 2 seater convertible and be banging the nearest secretary ( that one might be a push as I work offshore on gas/oil platforms , and yes I am including the women I have come across) , now in my time in the trade fixing cars I always had trade in shitters aside from when I had my R32 GTR and a 1.0 4speed nova so you could say I have done my fair time .

Now is it time to move on and scratch the itch of the car I have always wanted as the wife says you only live once or do I still sit on my savings and lament for the next four years whilst driving’s the wife’s hateful Kia Arsehole, but I do really miss having something nice on the drive

Buy a heap of shit. If you need reliability, buy two.

It's actually quite sensible*. For the amount you can pick up an old unfashionable heap for the risk is surely very low. You always have scrap / breaking for parts as a base value but even if you had to push it into the sea, the risk can be measured in bundles of fivers, rather than a guaranteed loss of hundreds every month on PCP.

Plus this is AutoShite where nothing needs to make sense anyway and people congratulate each other on questionable financial decisions involving poverty spec buckets that were undesirable even when new, and wearing budget tyres worth more than the cars themselves. Chod speed and good luck!

* - may be untrue

At  43 I would say you are still a young boy ( more than 7 years younger than me) I bought a TVR when I was 31 but didn’t  bang many secretary’s (still hoping for that) I bought it for it’s other benefits and was not over keen on having a convertible. I still think I am 20 years away from typical convertible owner age!

My advise is buy a car that makes you smile when you look at it, sit in it and drive it. You can buy a great car for a few hundred pounds or many thousands of pounds, just buy what makes you happy. Life is too short to be driving  a modern appliance.

19 hours ago, scorchio69 said:

So guys got a conundrum that’s being plaguing me for the last four years ( there has been several shitters that have come and gone in this time) 

The thought is that I am getting on (43 in January) and I have passed that pivotal year where I should buy a 2 seater convertible and be banging the nearest secretary ( that one might be a push as I work offshore on gas/oil platforms , and yes I am including the women I have come across) , now in my time in the trade fixing cars I always had trade in shitters aside from when I had my R32 GTR and a 1.0 4speed nova so you could say I have done my fair time .

Now is it time to move on and scratch the itch of the car I have always wanted as the wife says you only live once or do I still sit on my savings and lament for the next four years whilst driving’s the wife’s hateful Kia Arsehole, but I do really miss having something nice on the drive

Citroen - Xantia are under-rated and technically interesting - last of the real Citroens bla bla.

Ford - Mondeo original shape (very popular hear and lairy later Mondeos (RS2000 etc) don't seem expensive.

Ford Puma - very nice to drive apparently and a bit unusual.

The aluminium bodied JaguarFord  XJ6  really the last of the trad jags.

XK8 - hovering in the doldrums like the E-Type did in the 1970's.

BMW Z3 - it was a Bond car after all - not as complex as the Porsche and a bit nicer than the SLK Mercedes.

MGF if you want trad.

All for under £2000 - (just for some) and with some street cred too.* You could combine a Puma and a Xantia under £1000 with luck. All of these should hold value. The Jag can be had in diesel of course.  The R versions of it and XK8 will probably be worth the most.

They all provide a modicum of crash protection if you don't want a short life**.

*Other bangers are available.

** allegedly

20 hours ago, scorchio69 said:

What is said chariot of your dreams? If you buy carefully then there's every chance it'll be worth more in a few years than the same money in savings. 

Of course, this doesn't apply to the rammel we all usually buy on here....

20 hours ago, scorchio69 said:

Do it. Get if f**king bought. And if you don't, give me you're money and I'll buy it for you.

18 minutes ago, dome said:

What is said chariot of your dreams? If you buy carefully then there's every chance it'll be worth more in a few years than the same money in savings. 

Well.... I should really say nowt*

;)

28 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

From experience, do NOT buy a shite car!

Buy MANY shite cars!

I find that Juular’s advice of buying two cars is good advice as if you are organised then one should always be roadworthy. The reality for me is there is always another car I like and want to save so it can easily get to many, I used to think 10 was a lot, now I am getting towards three times that. As has also been said money in cars is better than money in the bank, I used to buy Cortina’s for less than £200 that were capable of daily regular use for around 4 years with minimum expenditure during that time, now they are £2,000 plus for a rough one. They are of course only a good investment if you actually sell them, which is something I don’t do😀

So here goes a rundown of past cars inc shite 

Green Mk2  cavalier GL with GLS clocks and a peck power master as my first car 

Red Mk2 cavalier SRi saloon with tons of mods inc full GSI disc conversion all round

white Mk2 cavalier SRI130 hatch ( utter pile of junk)

Blue Mk3 cavalier SRI ( again another pile of junk) 

EG6 civic VTI

R32 GTR x3

Blue 4 speed 1.0 nova 

Citroen ZX / Xsara x2

Green 205 STDT

Peugeot 405 / 406 diesels 

Rover 214sei 

Black Audi A6 diesel S-line 

Blue Audi S4 supercharged V6

White Audi SQ5

White Audi S3 saloon

Skoda octavia VRS diesel

Silver corsa c 1.2 ( now with added ventilation hole in the block )

Silver civic grandad chariot 

Skoda octavia TDI estate , this was my last shed and possibly the straw that broke the camels back 

3 hours ago, dome said:

Realistic dreams top of my list has been the R35 GTR / C63 AMG bi-turbo V8 / S3 lotus exige , but you will see from my car list I was / still am a serial GTR lover plus used to be a devout Vauxhall man to begin with .

but the idea of a cheap and cheerful 182 does appeal for some reason 

Get something you enjoy. There are loads of very nice cars out there that are just on the cusp of becoming 'classics'. Want a small relatively economical sports car? MGTF, MX5, Audi TT BMW Z4. Want a luxury barge? Mercedes, Jaguar, BWM, Lexus. The choice is endless. Want something outrageous? Bentleys are available for around £20,000. Be a great weekend car. You pays your money and takes your choice.

I just done get some car garages especially with all that’s going on the now 

so I have found what looks to be a nice clean dark blue facelift 2011 R35 GTR with a stage 1 map and supposed litchfield history in budget , the garage is contacted last Friday with a brief blurb about the car being stunning but it would be Monday before the video would be sent,at the same time I contacted litchfield with the reg number I could see in pics .

Monday comes and no video but litchfield cannot find this on their system, get back to the garage asking about video and the correct reg number , zero response till mid Tuesday stating he is too busy and understaffed so it’s going to be this weekend for a video and the new reg number he gave me still doesn’t come up on litchfields system .

my senses are telling me just to walk away as something doesn’t feel right or maybe I am just reading too much into it , defo buying a shitter like the original question is way easier