AVAS collection thread - Cavalier MOT fail

Lacquer Peel

58 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

...and coped admirably with horrendous weather on the way back.

That's one of the reasons I used to go to the Peat & Diesel gig in Manchester back in February, it was blowing an absolute hoolie but the Cavalier was planted, whereas the 106 would've been, erm, less so!

@Jim Bell you said that I looked like I'd been in a fight when you arrived, and I replied that I'd been wrestling the 15" wheels out from behind the shed...  ...it wasn't until you'd left, I'd retrieved the leather gloves and the gardening loppers & I went back indoors that I truly understood: the amount of briars and brambles - up to 20mm thick! - that I had to clear had marked me greatly, I'm still finding scratches and wounds!

8 hours ago, M'coli said:

@Jim Bell you said that I looked like I'd been in a fight when you arrived, and I replied that I'd been wrestling the 15" wheels out from behind the shed...  ...it wasn't until you'd left, I'd retrieved the leather gloves and the gardening loppers & I went back indoors that I truly understood: the amount of briars and brambles - up to 20mm thick! - that I had to clear had marked me greatly, I'm still finding scratches and wounds!

You won though mate. That's the main thing. Undefeated against garden plants. 

On 11/1/2020 at 9:11 PM, Lacquer Peel said:

Cavs, a great bunch of lads. It was great to meet @M'coli and thanks for the help today @Jim Bell

The Cavalier drives well, it's a bit flustered and hesitant at low speeds - dunno much about petrols and less about SPI setups (only that they're mildly cursed), but it sits at an indicated 90 on the test track happily.

The Cav feels much younger than a 27 year old car with 206k on the clock should, handles and rides decently and coped admirably with horrendous weather on the way back. It feels really well sorted and I hope it passes the MOT booked for next week at central Scotland shiter favourite Wardpark MOT centre.

PXL_20201101_201721634~2.jpg

PXL_20201101_201542037~2.jpg

PXL_20201101_161345593.jpg

Great to see my old Cav is off on another new adventure! 

I still miss it now tbh. As you say it's a excellent 'cruiser' on the m'way. 

From random road trips or holidays and anything in between, it just does it all without fuss.

Have tried the Cavs party piece with the electric front windows yet? 

12 minutes ago, Burnside said:

Great to see my old Cav is off on another new adventure! 

I still miss it now tbh. As you say it's a excellent 'cruiser' on the m'way. 

From random road trips or holidays and anything in between, it just does it all without fuss.

Have tried the Cavs party piece with the electric front windows yet? 

It's a credit to you!

Does it have lazy locking? 

1 hour ago, Lacquer Peel said:

It's a credit to you!

Does it have lazy locking? 

Thanks !  

It's party trick is, if you leave the front windows down. Put the key in the drivers door lock, hold it a quarter turn in the lock position. Then after a few seconds the window will close until you realase the key.  

Only found out from another Vauxhall owner about 2 years after I'd brought it. 

8 hours ago, Burnside said:

Thanks !  

It's party trick is, if you leave the front windows down. Put the key in the drivers door lock, hold it a quarter turn in the lock position. Then after a few seconds the window will close until you realase the key.  

Only found out from another Vauxhall owner about 2 years after I'd brought it. 

Good to know! 

I had a Rover 800 with the same feature, some VWs have it too. The Rover would drop its driver window randomly.

Do you remember roughly how many miles to a tank you got in the Cavalier and was it running a bit rough when you had it? 

We used to have hundreds of these MK3 Cavaliers on our company fleet in the 1990's. We went (in 1994) from a petrol car policy to a diesel one, for tax reasons back then, so had the pleasure of many tens of thousands of miles in both petrol and derv versions.

The single point injected 1.8 petrols always had a bit of a flat spot / fluffiness about them in the mid range, even when new, the multipoint 2.0 injected ones were much better in that respect.

The Izuzu 1.7 TD's were awesome though, quite punchy for their claimed power output and used to survive endless thrashings. We had a spate of them being stolen - the diesels, so we had everyone back into the yard to remove the 1.7 and TD badges off the back, never had one nicked after that..

I often wonder if any of our fleet cavaliers survived, all would be ex JCT600 Vehicle Contracts.

I like the Isuzu TD too, I had a Cavalier TD in the past and it was good to drive Jim Bell's one. I bet a 2.0 MPI is ace. 

I had a poke around it today, replaced some vacuum pipes to see if it cures the slight poor running and traced the oil leak to this breather (?) possibly. It's leaking on to the exhaust manifold and it's pretty stinky. 

PXL_20201103_105607906.jpg

PXL_20201103_105602733.jpg

10 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Good to know! 

I had a Rover 800 with the same feature, some VWs have it too. The Rover would drop its driver window randomly.

Do you remember roughly how many miles to a tank you got in the Cavalier and was it running a bit rough when you had it? 

I can't honestly remember at the minute, but was getting between 35 -38 mpg on average. 

Running wise it always ran ok but would slightly 'hunt's' now and then, especially if it was left sitting around for a week or more. Could be worth checking out the leads, as I've had the lead's break up at the spark plug end before. 

I did pass on the old useable ones as a back up, in case they went again along with some genuine spark plugs. The EGR Valve is also blanked off as it was past it. 

Probably a wise move changing the hoses as in fairness, I've only ever had to change two pipes in my ownership. So most were likely to be original! 

If you ever need a manifold btw, I still have this used one at the minute.

SUNP2656.thumb.JPG.dd1cbcc320d51b5585acdb4bc7e1baf7.JPG

I left the parking/marker lights on without realising and flattened the battery.

Looked at the crankcase breather and it was totally clogged with oily gunk. No wonder it was leaking on to the exhaust manifold. It took a lot of effort and mess in the sink to get it cleaned through. I wonder if that contributed to the sometimes poor running.  

Nice to find old font number plates in the back, I think they'll be going back on. 

I thought I'd get it tested this month but I'm skint already, at least I can park it off the road and tinker with it for now. 

Does anyone have a short piece of 25mm internal diameter hose they'd be willing to send for the breather pipe? I don't want to buy 50cm or 100cm of hose for the sake of 10cm. 

PXL_20201106_144611951.jpg

PXL_20201110_114603125.jpg

PXL_20201110_122534142.jpg

PXL_20201110_141249114.jpg

PXL_20201106_144538647.jpg

PXL_20201110_111909163.jpg

• Lacquer Peel changed the title to AVAS collection thread - Cavalier blocked breather

that hose needs to be oil and heat proof as they go to shit real fast. iirc roose motorsport sell em for not a lot, for the c20ne/20seh

pirtek also do the same product but a bit cheaper. also whip the rocker cover off and check the breather in it that goes to the inlet. if that blocks it causes havoc. 

5 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

If it's that badly choked I'd immediately be getting the cam cover off as it's likely not far off as bad.

That suggests to me a car that's done a lot of short runs and or has missed a lot of oil changes...

I did pop the cam cover off and it looks okay, the breather filter is clean.

PXL_20201113_080436063.jpg

PXL_20201113_080422351.jpg