2 Hondas don’t make it right

2MB

4 hours ago, 2MB said:

No pes station shot as it’s got plenty in. Drives lovely, only issue is the oil light flicks on, seller mentioned this to be fair and said it’s a sensor issue rather than oil pressure. More research needed into that one

You've bought an oil refinery?

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is going to be slow on the scooter as it’s a rather low priority at the moment. Had a play with it last night. It runs for about a minute then dies. Fuel seems to be getting to the carb ok but I noticed the air filter cover had come off at some point. Hopeful that refitting it will sort it but I’d already had a chewing for waking the baby up by riding it up and down the back yard.

696F981E-E853-46A7-AE2E-91798F386F3C.jpeg

C757B178-1BFF-433B-BE38-6BCC902EB2E2.jpeg

Seeing as it was unclear when it’d last been serviced, I thought I’d treat the FR-V to some love. It blew a headlight bulb on Sunday so first quick job was to swap a working one from  my drawer of salvaged bits. 
Got a phone call from the hospital while fitting the new one and managed to drop the bleeding thing into the headlight. I’d highly recommend this if you want to spend 3 hours fucking about while contorted into various crippling positions. 
Managed it eventually and made use of my fancy ramps to drop the oil

CF2A2637-42BE-4272-9134-64CA7E27FF9B.jpeg

Last job was to investigate the sticky back brake that was causing the wheel to get pretty hot. Thinking it’d be a badly adjusted handbrake shoe or seized caliper I stopped out down and found that the inner edge of the (new) disc had been carving itself a nice groove in the backplate. Whether this was due to the metal swelling with rust or badly made/wrong discs I don’t know, but a bit of prescision* grinding resulted in a much more agreeable fit

C42738BF-55DD-49E7-83CD-91F4D8F58236.jpeg

EDF2D675-F8E9-415E-B166-EBCA5864FF46.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Progress report on the FR-V:

After grinding the backplate down the drum handbrake decided to stick. Easy enough fix, adjusted it back and was rewarded with the disc beginning to grab. The previous owner had said something about swapping the slider pins around to sort a similar issue on the other side before the MOT, but this achieved the sum total of fuck all, along with cleaning and regreasing said pins and the calliper itself. Bemused at an apparently cursed rear brake system I bought a new caliper and fitted it without incident. Quick test drive produced no heat or noise so I treated it to a tank of diesel. Starting it up at the forecourt it started making a put-put-put type sound and the cabin filled with the unwelcome reek of diesel fumes. This was the day after reading about a certain other 2.2 Honda on the forum 

So I convinced myself the exhaust manifold had given up. On civics it’s accessible from the bottom, on accords the top. It seems nobody has committed an account of the same job to the internet on the hunchbacked six seater so on Saturday I decided to have a look to see just how horrific it would be. Taking the plaggy cover off I was greeted with a black stain on and around injector 3, and sure enough firing it up saw it chuffing fuel towards the sky from there. At this point I made the mistake of reading a few tales of woe regarding stuck injectors etc, but it came out with a bit of persuasion and was notable in the absence of any o-rings, save for a burnt scrap of one stuck in one of the grooves. The internet proved fruitless as to finding replacements (only came up with copper washers which I can’t see any of) so a quick look in my drawer of random shit produced 2 of a reasonable fit. The injector/glow plug assembly looked like a fucking stalactite so a bit of time removing the Black Death from that resulted in something a bit more acceptable looking. Back together as the light faded and all was well. I should’ve taken pictures but everything has been done in the dark/rain/snow/a rush/a fit of rage. Hopefully it doesn’t keep giving me issues because it is a lovely car and I can’t think of a better fit for our current needs.

The tyres were shocking so rather than spend £250 on a set of decent ones I spent £110 on a set of nearly new falkens with some EP3 type R rims attached

5C0B95E3-0638-4E7F-B0C7-FA0F910D9DB6.jpeg

There was nothing documented on manifold replacement on the Civic when I changed mine. There was me and 2 other owners doing the job at the same time providing support to one another through a marque forum which was really helpful.

Anyway, really glad you didn't have to go through a similar process and got it all sorted with injector seals. Injector seals are normally a crushable copper washer but not familiar with your engine.

1 hour ago, Mudster said:

There was nothing documented on manifold replacement on the Civic when I changed mine. There was me and 2 other owners doing the job at the same time providing support to one another through a marque forum which was really helpful.

Anyway, really glad you didn't have to go through a similar process and got it all sorted with injector seals. Injector seals are normally a crushable copper washer but not familiar with your engine.

The copper washers are the only thing that come up on a search but I couldn’t see any sign of one when the injector was out. I thought the 2.2 engines were all the same before about 2009 but maybe not