Its going in for its 435k service tmrw....

Neil clark

4 hours ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

Love these mega mile sloggers.

I have an ex-taxi VW Minibus, now on 342k.  I got it cheap because 99% of people were terrified of the mileage.  There's genuinely nothing wrong with it, it doesn't even feel baggy to drive.  Original engine & gearbox, on it's 3rd clutch/ DMF.  Mostly everything else is original as far as I can tell.

It's all about how its used and serviced I suppose.  Does make you laugh when people px their cars before they reach 100k because 'it's getting worn out'!

My dad does this, the car gets to 100k, within a week or so he will get rid of it. I think he had a radiator leak on a 4 year old Zafira once, it had 98k or something like, it went straight off to p/ex for a new one. Couldn’t take the chance...

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I wasn’t aware there was any other way than paying the price that’s asked and in full. Can’t imagine trying to haggle once the job is done and then paying in instalments would go down well at a garage.

You would be amazed ! Don’t get any hagglers but loads come to pick their car up and ask if they can pay next month or after pay day .

Ive not been caught out yet but have a good memory for these things so they always have “ interest “ applied in the form of twat tax to every bill afterwards .

50 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

You would be amazed ! Don’t get any hagglers but loads come to pick their car up and ask if they can pay next month or after pay day .

Ive not been caught out yet but have a good memory for these things so they always have “ interest “ applied in the form of twat tax to every bill afterwards .

Because your bills can wait! 🤣

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

I wasn’t aware there was any other way than paying the price that’s asked and in full. Can’t imagine trying to haggle once the job is done and then paying in instalments would go down well at a garage.

Taxi garages work slightly differently to the real world believe me, its a different culture and there's a fair bit of haggling by my taxi brothers.

Garage owner is a fantastic Pakistani gent who I've known for probably 20 years and I dont even offend him asking for a quote for any work. He does the work and I pay him, the way it works is if I'm not happy after paying I go elsewhere next time, ive never gone elsewhere and I 100% trust him.

Alot of the other taxi driver customers pay on tick, £20 here £30 there. Not a way I work and he knows that

9 minutes ago, Neil clark said:

And you clearly have never driven a taxi then, every single night someone haggles the fair or gives it a go anyway lol

Wonder if anyone has just bailed out the door and legged it off up the street instead of paying for an engine swap.  

I use taxis a lot. I also like old cars that are sheds. But I purposely avoid any taxi fares in a converted van with half million a miles on the clock where there will be a Lexus hybrid or Mercedes on the rank. Unless it's a gang with luggage, most really do expect a more modern ride. Retire it gracefully

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Strong first post. 

Where I am, you take the car at the front of the rank, or the one that turns up. I thought that was how it worked? 

Where I am, you just don't give thirsty trolls the attention that they are for some reason desperate for.

5 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Where I am, you take the car at the front of the rank, or the one that turns up. I thought that was how it worked?

Like wise; if I'm taking a minicab, I'm either in a hurry or pissed. Unless there's something interesting to have a ride in, eg when in Rome a couple of years ago there was a Peugeot 607 about third in line, and I made sure I got in that instead of either of the 2 E Classes in front. And yes, I was a bit pissed.

Don't get me wrong, I love old mega mile stuff as that is what I can only afford and run privately, and that's the common theme of this forum. But not for business use. I just slide backwards in the taxi queue to avoid these after a recent Hackney conveyance had similar mileage, the windows were practically iced up on the inside, and it made my ears bleed. Not trolling, I have the same opinion about my local 'Pacer' trains from dark ages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I drove Taxis (Hackney, Plated in South Cumbria) way back in 2001, My L reg Montego passed it's test first time with 184.000 on the clock whilst a fellow Driver's brand new Berlingo multispace  failed on a rusty safety pin in the First aid kit

Back then new vehicles seemed to be treated with suspicion; I'm sure things are different now.

The only time I’ve waited for a better taxi further down the line was in Benidorm and I was pissed and the first two taxis were Toyota Prius’s.....priuses.....Pri......oh bags of hybrid crap. There I said it. 

i hope you get your pride and joy back in one piece to continue its journey further into the high mileage club. Regardless of who might not want to travel in it because of its mileage. 

I must be completely at odds then because when we used to go to the canaries I used to hang about purposely until a battered faded W123 was at the front of the rank. In NE Derbyshire they’re still cabbing Mk3 Mondeos, I like to think it adds a bit of excitement to the journey ‘if the injector goes we’ve missed the flight’.

I'd go out of my way to travel in something old and I do enjoy finding out how many miles are in a taxi when I go in one. I'm from your ideal customer base it seems. On a similar note there is a bus company local to me who use this every day; If I ever need to book a coach (highly unlikely) I know where I'll be finding it.

31078894567_8f8ce042a1_b.jpg

4 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I must be completely at odds then because when we used to go to the canaries I used to hang about purposely until a battered faded W123 was at the front of the rank. In NE Derbyshire they’re still cabbing Mk3 Mondeos, I like to think it adds a bit of excitement to the journey ‘if the injector goes we’ve missed the flight’.

I remember getting a cab from Tenerife south airport. Was an old Merc, I sat up front 730k KMs and that’s on a tiny island! No rust at all. Brilliant start to the holiday that was. Shit pic though. 

541BFBDC-BD34-49D0-9B1F-8A15BD7C1EA3.jpeg

22 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

I remember getting a cab from Tenerife south airport. Was an old Merc, I sat up front 730k KMs and that’s on a tiny island! No rust at all. Brilliant start to the holiday that was. Shit pic though. 

541BFBDC-BD34-49D0-9B1F-8A15BD7C1EA3.jpeg

Done this story before, but I spent a lot of time in Tenerife (and my best mate still does as he owns a radio station there) and we got talking, in a hybrid of Spanish, English and Esperanto to a driver one night.  He did the night shift (22-06) his son did the early shift (06-14) and another relative who we couldn't quite deduce the late shift (14-22).  His little W201 diesel was literally out 24/7 around the south of the island (LA, LC, Silencio etc).  It was a charming old thing that also had about 750km on it.

16 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Done this story before, but I spent a lot of time in Tenerife (and my best mate still does as he owns a radio station there) and we got talking, in a hybrid of Spanish, English and Esperanto to a driver one night.  He did the night shift (22-06) his son did the early shift (06-14) and another relative who we couldn't quite deduce the late shift (14-22).  His little W201 diesel was literally out 24/7 around the south of the island (LA, LC, Silencio etc).  It was a charming old thing that also had about 750km on it.

I’ve noticed this in the canaries or Spain for that matter, they play constant good music on the radio.

Last time I went to Tenerife, maybe in about 2001, we caught a Peugeot 605 taxi, an early one IIRC, presumably the 2.1DT. We didn’t go back as it was getting a bit rough in Las Americas by that point. 

For me, a night out on the piss with mates in Derby isn’t complete without a ride home in a high mileage taxi. Preferably a Fairway/Metrocab but I’ll happily take a Peugeot people van.

I actually look forward the conversation with the driver about mileages and maintenance regimes. It’s all part of life’s rich tapestry 😉

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

Oh absolutely... if it’s the choice between a Prius/Auris/other hybrid modern bore box and a Metrocab I know which one I’m choosing every time!! 

4DDC13DE-FFD4-4897-8D31-0AA2826EE1F4.jpeg

See, the nice thing about a Metrocab is the huge glass area. Compare that with your modern minicab which will be a Merc or Audi with windows the size of postage stamps and a cramped back seat because of all the plastic padding around it.