Ridiculous engine bay sights

Station

I thought the 2.3 and 2.5 displacements used the M20 engine?

I think the 2.5 engine was the M30, with Bosch Motronic injection. The 2.0 and 2.7 (from the 525e) engines were M20, as for the 2.3 you may be right, could be a 2.3 M20 running on Bosch K-Jetronic! Failed cold start valves ahoy :cry:
The 2.3 was the M20B23, and the 2.5 was an M20B25The 3.0 is an M30, and I think the 3.5 is an M30B35.As for the whole 4wd thing, My Audi isn't bad considering it's 4wd. The transmission tunnel isn't small, but it's not some hyyuuugge great thing taking up the whole bloody interior. It's hardly Ro80 spacious, but it's fine.

As seth has just said, transmission tunnels consume a whole load of space in the interior.Where would you mount the gearbox? On normal RWD cars its behind the engine, or on a transaxle, and with engines that are usually pretty large (nowadays anyway) mounting the engine and gearbox on top of one another would be pretty space consuming to say the least. You mention 4WD cars having transverse engines in the past, all of them were no doubt based on FWD designs.Wouldnt it rough up the weight distribution, and thus the handling with all the weight at one end of the car? Hence why they were 4wd.But i think that cars that were designed to have RWD with the longitudinal layout would not be able to take it transversely, bare in mind that a car is designed with every aspect of weight and component distribution in mind.Im no doubt a tad wrong haha.

So a 4WD Cav/405/BX has a big transmission tunnel? I don't think I have ever been in one tbh.Didn't Ferrari have a "T" shaped engine and box set up in the Mondial?

The 4wds you mention were based on and used in cars designed primarily for FWD. But ive never been in one of them so cant comment on the tunnel!Yeh the mondial and 348 used that t layout! Although a Ferrari doesnt have much in the way of interior space........ how much are mondials these days? Id like one.Hey speaking of BXs, I bet the 1.1 engined one had bags of engine room.

Longitudinal engine is the way to go for accessibility.

Posted Image

That dosen't look very accesible to me :) not compared to the earlier shots on here. Compared to an Audi A2 or something, then I agree.

The 1969 Capri 1300 at the NEC had a comical amount of space around the engine bay and front of car, the grille was about two feet in front of the radiator!

Mine's not!

Posted Image

Scraped knuckles ahoy! Spark plugs are a pain. As is changing the front brake pads which involves removing the spare wheel and the heater unit, then leaning over the engine bay while keeping both hands free........ Ooh it gives me a sore back that does!

Here's the BX for comparison

Posted Image

Mark.

I remember seeing a 2.9 VR6 engined Lupo at a car show once, looked factory too, but it was mm perfect!

Found a pic...

Posted Image

This is the same as my car, wonderful to work on-loads of room, but never needs anything!

Posted Image

Today I worked on an A3 3.2 V6 Quattro. I had to use a funnel to top up the brake fluid!,but even that was more accessible than a clio resovoir