B4lljoints brown 190e - much excitement*

B4lljoints

• B4lljoints changed the title to B4lljoints brown 190e - don't get too excited...
  • 1 month later...

This morning has mostly been about test fitting new pattern wings before taking them off again for painting. Not a bad fit at all really. A bit gappy near the top edge of the door perhaps. Not fully tightened or shimmed either so there's room for improvement.

Excuse the packaging marks (tape, labels etc) but I didn't want to curse the fitting by cleaning them up first...

20211007_113412.jpg

20211007_113419.jpg

• B4lljoints changed the title to B4lljoints brown 190e - wings of desire?
3 hours ago, Nullzwei said:

Lovely looking w201.

Do you have a link to who sells pattern w201 wings that fit please. Cheers in advance.

Yeah, I got mine from this ebay seller. There are lots of others if you don't need side repeater holes or are willing to cut them yourself.

Anyway, here's the link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154562938532

8 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

Are the wings a decent fit?  I needed a wing for my W124 about six years ago and paid £185 for a genuine Mercedes one.

The bodyshop I used thought I’d lost to the plot but I was worried about poor fit.

Yes they're not bad at all. The gap where they meet the top of the door isn't exactly perfect but you'd have to be pretty picky to notice. I suppose it depends on the quality of the rest of the car as to whether it justifies the extra cost of mercedes originals. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, it's only taken two months (you know, weather, Xmas bollocks, short days, lazy etc) but the new wings are finally on.

It looks a lot better now. The old wings were pretty manky. It has revealed that the bonnet is a bit faded but the colour match to the doors is OK (depends how fussy you are 😊) so a bonnet repaint might* happen in the future.

The new wings have been painted in that Raptor stuff on the inside and then undersealed on top of that so they should last a while...

20220122_130004.jpg

20220122_130013.jpg

• 1 year later...

In less than thrilling news - this old thing has been providing sterling service. Apart from a slightly squeaky blower fan and a slightly whiny diff.

I'll give the fan a poke at some point but the diff can stay as it is as it's a case of TADTS (at some point).

In the meantime it got serviced and is still looking pretty tidy underneath.

A house move means it might be for sale soon... Watch this space 🙂

PXL_20230804_133849739.jpg

PXL_20230804_123423906.jpg

• B4lljoints changed the title to B4lljoints brown 190e - much excitement*