B4lljoints brown 190e - much excitement*

B4lljoints

I'm a bit late to the party with this one as I've had it nearly three weeks and I've posted chuff all about it apart from the collection thread.

Anyway, here's my newly acquired 190e all the way from sunny* Scotchland.

It comes fresh from being laid up for three years while the PO had the jacking points and all of the brake and fuel pipes replaced. Most of the suspension has been refreshed too so it's a bit of a 'Triggers broom' underneath. 

It goes/stops/corners like a 190 should ie not very dynamically but that's how I like it so I'm a happy bunny.

I'm still getting to know it but the most obvious jobs are a new set of tyres and an MOT which is looming in late December.

Its Bornite too which I think is a great colour. The jury is still deliberating over the OMG AMG wheels...

20201022_113558.jpg

20201022_113615.jpg

20201022_113635.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Brace yourselves for a less than spectacular update. NEW TYRES!

ATS have a deal on Avons at the mo' so I got them to slap a new set of 195 60 r15s on.

It previously had 205 60s on the back and 195 50s on the front so now it looks a bit less 'high arsed' and the front arches look more filled. This is a good thing in my book 👍😁 (the back wheel looks a bit 'forward' in this pic but that's just the silly camera angle).

20201105_112836.jpg

My 190D also had the same alloys. I think they look great and make them look like more upmarket and modern car. Love the colour too.

Your username reminds me - keep an eye on the bottom balljoints as they seize up over time. It isnt often obvious as the power steering forces them to turn anyway, until they let go which sends the front wheel backwards into the wheelarch.

Inconvenient at low speed, but will put the car on its roof at higher speeds. Easy enough to change with basic tools, but care must be taken, so the spring doesnt fly out and take your face off. Safer to use the proper internal spring compressors, but doable with a jack underneath, if your sensible.

Worth sgning up to Mercedes190.co.uk Its a pretty good owners forum, with a wealth of info.

17 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

I recognise that car, I'm pretty sure it was owned by one of the mechanics at the local garage I use in Glasgow for a while.

Looks smart.

Interesting... I'd like to know a bit more about its history so if you see him do ask him if he remembers anything. 👍😊

40 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

My 190D also had the same alloys. I think they look great and make them look like more upmarket and modern car. Love the colour too.

Your username reminds me - keep an eye on the bottom balljoints as they seize up over time. It isnt often obvious as the power steering forces them to turn anyway, until they let go which sends the front wheel backwards into the wheelarch.

Inconvenient at low speed, but will put the car on its roof at higher speeds. Easy enough to change with basic tools, but care must be taken, so the spring doesnt fly out and take your face off. Safer to use the proper internal spring compressors, but doable with a jack underneath, if your sensible.

Worth sgning up to Mercedes190.co.uk Its a pretty good owners forum, with a wealth of info.

Yep, I'm named because of my history with those pesky balljoints - I keep spares in the shed as service items.

I joined the 190.co.uk forum and that's where I found the car. Really knowledgeable bunch on there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • B4lljoints changed the title to B4lljoints brown 190 Much MOT success!
4 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Phhhoooaaaaarrrrr an A series GTE replica? Or is it left hand drive genuine? 

I'm not too sure - not an Opel expert but I'll ask the guy who is working on it. He rebuilds lots of Mantas. Mainly Bs.

I'm sure this one is a genuine RHD but perhaps not originally a GTE. 

16 minutes ago, B4lljoints said:

I'm not too sure - not an Opel expert but I'll ask the guy who is working on it. He rebuilds lots of Mantas. Mainly Bs.

I'm sure this one is a genuine RHD but perhaps not originally a GTE. 

If it’s a RHD it’ll be a replica. The GTE A series wasn’t available over this side of the channel. Shame really as they’re cool as penguin piss. What’s his name? I might know of him through the club. 

9 hours ago, B4lljoints said:

The brurple machine passed the MOT this morning with no advisories. MUCH SUCCESS! 😁👍

20201125_122429.jpg

The 190 has to be the most handsome car ever made. Ive had 2 now, both 2.6 models, and desperately want another. Love the colour of yours but would have it on standard wheels and period correct wheel trims

• 4 months later...

I haven't had much to do to this machine lately so in a moment of boredom I improved* the NS rear door card. The top edges of the doorcards on 190s are known for unpeeling the outer vinyl from the hardboard(ish) backing. Three are really good on my car and only one was letting the side down so out with the gorilla glue and some clamps. Much better now. I'll post some finished pics later...

20210320_124645.jpg

20210320_130329.jpg

• B4lljoints changed the title to B4lljoints brown 190e - tedious updates...

I told you all I was shite at updating and participating in forum life. So here's an exciting update!

There hasn't really been much to report. I still haven't bought any new wings to replace the slightly scruffy ones on the front.

I've been doing a bit of tinkering though as it's the quiet time in my industry (trade shows - it's been a quiet few months as you can imagine)

First of all the paint on the door mirrors was flaky and I'd temporarily slapped a black pair on to neaten the car up. I finally got my arse into gear and ordered a bornite rattle can of t'interweb. A bit of sanding and priming later and the original mirrors were, once again, body coloured. Ta da!

mirror paint.jpg

The previous owner had also stripped the air filter cover of all of its paint in an effort to get rid of surface rust. He hadn't however got round to painting it again. He'd also slapped a star logo on it for reasons best known to himself.

A bit of sanding, bilthamber and black paint later and we're looking much more original...

Air filter cover.jpeg

air filter cover black.jpg