Why was he born so beautiful, why was he born at all? He's no bloody use to anyone, he's no bloody good at all!

doubleyeller

Just now, jon.k said:

I learned to drive in one just like that. Lovely little cars to drive.  Felt a bit like my 205 does now but less knackered, because it was fairly new at the time I suppose. Which engine is in it?

1.2 - surprisingly nippy, but then again only 4 forward gears and no power steering. Personally I prefer it to the 205

1 minute ago, jon.k said:

Ours was a 1.2 but it had 5 gears. Interesting that you prefer it to the 205. I always thought it handled brilliantly for what it was, but at the time I had very little to compare it to. @

Well the 205 was a diesel with Tweed seats.......it had it's attractions I suppose, but they are different eras really. 205 was launched in early 80s, Clio in early 1990s. Fairer comparison for the 205 is the AX really. 

32 minutes ago, doubleyeller said:

Not sure whether to sort the problems out, then flip the fucker, or just call the scrap man on the 'morrow

C'mon now man. Tis not the autoshite way. Surely you need to spend hundreds chasing niggles before realising its a hateful piece of shite, and then call the scrapman in. Stop cutting corners! This place aint what it used to be....😂😂

7 minutes ago, chancer said:

C'mon now man. Tis not the autoshite way. Surely you need to spend hundreds chasing niggles before realising its a hateful piece of shite, and then call the scrapman in. Stop cutting corners! This place aint what it used to be....😂😂

To be fair, it's in stunning condition compared to any of the other (rather rare nowadays) survivors I see out and about.

But there again, some people have felt that my descriptions of cars to be too generous in the past.

Conflicted what to do. 'Tis rare, but noone cares.......😆

27 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

They do seem to be getting quite rare and I do seem to find myself looking fondly at those that do remain, if you do decide to bail would you post up details here before calling the scrap man.?

The only bailing will be baleing I'm sorry to say.

You know it's nothing against you, but I got such a lot of shit from people expecting the moon on a stick for £300 or a fucked electric bike etc on here that I just decided: anything that is not worthy of carandclassic just goes over the bridge from now on. I sent a Horizon to the yard a few months ago for want of some electrical tlc. It is sad, but people ruined it for themselves and others with their "Bald balls" bleating.

That said if I decide to sort it out, it's condition definitely makes it worthy of carandclassic at about a grand, will definitely let you know if it goes that way. I wouldn't pay a grand for one but someone will....

Fuck a duck, when buying a car for 300 quid im just thankful if it gets me home. No moon on stick expectations here. The clio is definately one of those cars that has aged well, especially the early ones. Would be a shame to see it scrapped, but going by the way things are selling on here right now, i can see your point. 

8 minutes ago, chancer said:

Fuck a duck, when buying a car for 300 quid im just thankful if it gets me home. No moon on stick expectations here. The clio is definately one of those cars that has aged well, especially the early ones. Would be a shame to see it scrapped, but going by the way things are selling on here right now, i can see your point. 

Well exactly. Sub 500 and breaking down on the way home due to undisclosed fault is virtually a given!

Fuck selling anything off cheap here. People are still moaning because 2 years ago they spent £8 on a roffle ticket for an MOT'd automatic MK2 Scirocco (worth £1500 at the very least) which had an electrical FTP 50 miles after collection. They felt hard done to and complained that the car was mis-described........when it wasn't even them that won!

So in summary..... Bollocks to selling anything on here quite frankly. A whole lot of people saw a forum called "Auto shite" and thought this was the place they could buy a perfect car for peanuts. The mind boggles!

just wanna say, itll be the alt thats shit the bed - common as fuck.

also put it up on another forum or ebay even, it looks tidy from the one pic and deserves to live. 

this place can be a race to the bottom, im surprised there isnt a thread for people wanking off over running the shittest most dangerous mot exempt peice of rammel on the road. 

53 minutes ago, doubleyeller said:

Well exactly. Sub 500 and breaking down on the way home due to undisclosed fault is virtually a given!

Fuck selling anything off cheap here. People are still moaning because 2 years ago they spent £8 on a roffle ticket for an MOT'd automatic MK2 Scirocco (worth £1500 at the very least) which had an electrical FTP 50 miles after collection. They felt hard done to and complained that the car was mis-described........when it wasn't even them that won!

So in summary..... Bollocks to selling anything on here quite frankly. A whole lot of people saw a forum called "Auto shite" and thought this was the place they could buy a perfect car for peanuts. The mind boggles!

That's a shame as I've always had pretty good experiences on here tbh,especially when it comes to buying. Only sold one car but had no comebacks on it and cash paid up straightaway etc. 

Mind you I did notice when I was trying to sell a Vito on here that there was much criticism of the price yet I ended up getting a lot more straight out from gumtree with zero hassle.  

I'd double check the battery connections before doing anything and also test the resistance of the full path of the earth cable, that's caught me out before by making a parallel path to earth via the excess copper grease on the battery terminals. Good clean off, test again, fired up in - 15 degree Scottish snow thank god 🤣 🤣

I do agree with you I’ve scrapped very cheap cars rather than try to sell, sometimes it can be difficult to manage expectations say on a Sub £200 car that’s still road legal, particularly with the “general public” I find on gumtree whatever the price people seem to want to pay half that, even if it’s less than scrap money.

8 hours ago, doubleyeller said:

You've made me count up now! I've bought or sold seven motorcycles on here, all £500 or less - no bother. Bought or sold six cars, all bar one sub-£500. Again, no bother. I've only ever been pissed about on a deal once in all this time. I'll take those odds over trying my luck on Scumtree, Facebook etc. anytime.

1 hour ago, strangeangel said:

You've made me count up now! I've bought or sold seven motorcycles on here, all £500 or less - no bother. Bought or sold six cars, all bar one sub-£500. Again, no bother. I've only ever been pissed about on a deal once in all this time. I'll take those odds over trying my luck on Scumtree, Facebook etc. anytime.

I've no problem buying on here because I am not a cry baby who publicly sulks when my £300 shit box needs the brakes looking at or whatever. I have had some truly appalling cars off here, but sorting them out is part of the hobby. This forum is called Autoshite after all!

But selling on here? No, never again. Let them buy a fully sorted example on car and classic and pay a few thousand. Such is the price of whinging...

If you have such a strong dislike of folk on here, a possible option that you might want to consider is to take your Clio and shove it right up your arse? I've sold loads of old heaps through this forum and never had a single problem. If you think you can find a bunch of people with 'more realistic expectations' about cheap old bangers, fuck off and join them, thats my advice.

Is it just me or did you start off showing us your new car then skilfully turn it into a way to pointlessly slag everyone off on here?

10 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

a possible option that you might want to consider is to take your Clio and shove it right up your arse? 

Perhaps you have just stumbled on a new theory for what happened in Barrymore's pool all those years ago?

Young man had the audacity to lower the tone by arriving in a Clio, and they decided to insert it to teach him a lesson. Case closed? 

23 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

If you have such a strong dislike of folk on here, a possible option that you might want to consider is to take your Clio and shove it right up your arse? I've sold loads of old heaps through this forum and never had a single problem. If you think you can find a bunch of people with 'more realistic expectations' about cheap old bangers, fuck off and join them, thats my advice.

Is it just me or did you start off showing us your new car then skilfully turn it into a way to pointlessly slag everyone off on here?

I thought the same, seemed a strange way to garner interest... 

I've had cars from £0 to £600 from here and all have been utterly fine after some cheap maintenance as any old 100k+ cheap shitter will demand. Don't get it myself