My shite new books - "SUPER - old, odd, interesting, obscure and abandoned filling stations". - NOW WITH FREE STUFF

motorpunk

On 04/04/2021 at 16:23, SiC said:

Bump!

Due to lockdown Christmas got delayed for us, so I didn't get my presents until today. These were on my wishlist:

PXL_20210404_151508149.thumb.jpg.29fe36f96d97625f6e18768d48d15814.jpg

Super is the South West edition. I've already got the first one (Midlands?) and thought it was ok but slightly disappointing with the small photos. However this is way better and more enjoyable - especially with lovely large photos. 

Many of the town's I know extremely well, including growing up right near one. However there are a few stations/garages in there that I didn't even know exist. 

I've had a look through already looking at the photos, but will go into deeper - once I prize it back out of my Father-in-law's hands...

Thanks! I hope you enjoy them. Pictures were a real struggle, older shots in particular, but overall I’m happy with the results.

I’ve got a few author copies of ‘Nothing handles like a rental car’, as you’ve spent £££ on my other stuff, DM me your address if you’d like a free copy. 👍

• 4 weeks later...

I've just hit publish on the Scotland edition of this series. That means it'll be for sale on Amazon within 72 hours, I will post a link up then for anyone who is interested. 

I didn't pay a proofreader for this one, mainly because I can't afford to, but I'm happy with the content. 

I've promised copies to a couple of shiters, please give me a prod if you don't hear anything in 2 weeks, I've got contributor copies planned.

:)

• 4 months later...

Here's a snippet from Lincolnshire. Thanks to shiter Tim for his help. 

BAUMBER-BULLWINKLE-BY-PHILIP-BULLWINKLE-

Bullwinkles Garage was founded in 1938 when the current owner’s grandfather (a Henry James Bullwinkle) moved up from London and set up shop in the stables of what used to be the Red Lion pub next door in Baumber, Lincs. He was a skilled coachbuilder, turning Rolls-Royce cars into hearses, and served as the ARP warden during the war. When he passed away, the business came into the hands of his son, who realised that adding a motor dealership would bring more business and went to the Motor Show in 1970.

Back then, only Porsche, Lotus and Citroën would consider signing up Bullwinkles as an official dealer as they didn’t have a showroom. So for a decade, this garage in Baumber, Lincolnshire, sold Lotuses and Citroëns. In ’71, an all-night pump was installed, whereby customers could pay 50p and get a pre-measured amount of fuel. There was also a vending machine. High tech! Bullwinkles invested in an automated car wash (the damn things still mangle cars even today, so I’m curious as to how good they were back then) which charged 12 ½ pence a go.

By the late ‘70s, Lotus moved upmarket from their kit cars and insisted on a showroom, so Bullwinkles stopped selling them. They ran a breakdown recovery service, busy rescuing day trippers going to the coast in their distinctive pink and yellow trucks, including a Rover P4 saloon converted with a little crane on the back. By 1990, Bullwinkle parted company with Citroën and continued as an independent; few people nowadays can properly service the hydraulic suspension that these fantastic French cars use, the green LHM fluid looking like witchcraft to an amateur spannerman like me.

The garage has served fuel from many brands over the years, including Jet, Power, Cleveland and National. National had a loyalty scheme that rewarded regulars with ‘merry sherry’ glasses, ‘dishy dishes’ and ‘mighty mugs’. National also gave away Smurfs, but rumours of a toxic batch temporarily put their production on hold. Philip, the grandson of Henry Bullwinkle, is to retire soon, with the garage being up for sale. A lifetime of fettling Excels and XMs means he won’t miss ‘em much. But we’ll miss this lovely old place when it’s gone.

baumber-bullwinkle-1536x1152.jpg

This place is now up for sale, see here - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/77441986#/?channel=COM_BUY

More like this here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUPER-interesting-abandoned-stations-Midlands/dp/B08LGMR1PX/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1631284346&refinements=p_27%3AMr+Rich+Duisberg&s=books&sr=1-1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, ProgRocker said:

I follow C Barker (credited in the books) on flickr. I enjoy viewing his photos featuring old cars and car washes. I sometimes have to correct him on some of the older cars he incorrectly identifies. 

Yes, he’s a major contributor, and a genuinely lovely chap. He’ll appreciate the corrections/info 👍

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2021 at 8:34 AM, motorpunk said:

Vowchurch revisited. I wrote quite a long piece on the fascinating history of this place for the book, but yesterday I was sad to see it like this. It was, until recently, the oldest continuously opening filling station in England. They even used to refuel biplanes from here.

E3AB144D-8F17-47F5-A7EC-1CAFE7D73BC1.jpeg

So what's actually happening here now that Robert Wilding has conked out? Looks like the pumps are being preserved, but the Raleigh sign, Oil canister and Pump globes are being stored somewhere for safe keeping? Why can't they just keep this going one or 2 afternoons a week with a few volunteers beats me - the hamlet has also lost it's shop with this!

3 hours ago, SiC said:

Which reminds me, I saw these around the corner on where I bought the Shitbox Fabia last month. Unfortunately they were closed when I picked it up so didn't get a chance for a pez shot.
23139ec818903310ca54689304f1f468.jpg
https://maps.app.goo.gl/tzG7Pou42z3tSpUR9

I’m away from my desk at the mo but I’m 99% sure that’s in the South West edition and contains something about the owner being known as “a local git”.

3 hours ago, SiC said:

Which reminds me, I saw these around the corner on where I bought the Shitbox Fabia last month. Unfortunately they were closed when I picked it up so didn't get a chance for a pez shot.
23139ec818903310ca54689304f1f468.jpg
https://maps.app.goo.gl/tzG7Pou42z3tSpUR9

We stayed near there back in 2009. I got photos then and had a chat with someone there, at the time they had a very nice Mk2.5 Granada 2.8 GL for sale in the showroom.

I’m away from my desk at the mo but I’m 99% sure that’s in the South West edition and contains something about the owner being known as “a local git”.
Quite possibly and you're going to have a much better memory than me. Can't find my south west copy for a moment. Seems to have been tidied away somewhere and Mrs SiC is not in at the moment.

2 hours ago, motorpunk said:

The person I spoke to back in 2009 didn't seem particularly git-like. They were selling Regent back then:

Averys Garage, Mark, Somerset

And here's the Granada that was in the showroom:

1983 Ford Granada 2.8GL

1983 Ford Granada 2.8GL

Last MoT expired 2018, now on SORN.

3 minutes ago, SiC said:

Ah! @pilninggas will know that place.

I've driven past there when considering a house in Pilning. Didn't end up living there as didn't like to be to near Avonmouth and it's incinerator... Maybe the pollution out of there explains the owners demeanor?

There wasn’t much info about the place and I’d take one random review with a pinch of salt. Apologies for the crap pic but this review also makes me laugh, also in the South West edition;

C66FFF02-1B4B-48F0-8C88-E806367FE966.jpeg

There wasn’t much info about the place and I’d take one random review with a pinch of salt. Apologies for the crap pic but this review also makes me laugh, also in the South West edition;

C66FFF02-1B4B-48F0-8C88-E806367FE966.thumb.jpeg.a87e65d0231f655684744401c475f2a1.jpeg
Yes I remember looking at that on Streetview after and the interesting shop/scrapyard next to it. They also have an updated Streetview in Jun 2021 with only one pump working - diesel. The latest in Oct 2021 shows it only with petrol and what looks to be a shop worker lounging around next to the Fresh Coffee sign.

Wow there are some even better, more recent reviews of that place!

"Stopped here for fuel on Thursday 20 Feb 2020. Put £50 in, went to pay and picked up a 75cl bottle of Evian for my son. Wasnt taking much notice, paid by card, got back to Hampshire and noticed I'd been charged £56.24. £6.24 for 75cl of water!!!!!!🤬🤬🤬"

"It says they are open 7am to 7pm but it’s more like as and when they feel like it, when I got there at 6pm today the woman still at the till said to me “I don’t care what the sign says I have never worked till 7pm” before swigging wine out the bottle. And ushering me away!"

🤣🤣

But they now have an outside launderette

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=148382833293976&id=101196101345983

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Ah! @pilninggas will know that place.

I've driven past there when considering a house in Pilning. Didn't end up living there as didn't like to be to near Avonmouth and it's incinerator... Maybe the pollution out of there explains the owners demeanor?

Yeah, know it well. Although I havent lived in Pilning since the mid-noughties. I do drive past if i'm goming home and avoiding the Almondsbury Interchange.

Was run by Dave Stone [probably still is]. They gave up on petrol/diesel sales when they couldnt keep prices less than 10p/litre higher than Asda/Morrisons/Shell at Cribbs and just focused on MOTs and MOT repairs. They are good guys and never overpriced, although if i did use a garage for repairs I preferred Severn Beach Autos as Dick was an utter bullshitter and hilarious to deal with [but also a bloody good monkey and cheap with it].

Dave Stone's dad ran the little petrol station that was on Church Road in Horfield up until the mid nineties [replaced with flats] (junction with Maple Road). I have bad memories of being sat in a queue for fuel in my dad's Stellar and waiting ages him to be able to fill up. What is now the fuel station on at the bottom of Church Road (junction with Gloucester Road) was a terrible indoor market.

All the builders used Stone's garages for fuels as they gave out bent receipts.

+++ just remembered that before Dave Stone owned it [1980s], the previous owner had more of a 'shop' inside - to the point that when the village shop closed at 12.30 on a Saturday, the kids used to buys sweets and crap in there instead. I remember the place was also the only shop that sold 'Garbage Pail Kid' cards and did a roaring trade in those cards and the really sharp gum that came with it that used to cut your mouth up.

Also remember the 'bad kids' buying petrol [4*] in a metal bucket to huff at the back of Wainbridge Crescent.

Ah, reminiscing about better days - i love Autoshite. 

• 2 weeks later...

@red5 and others have asked where they might buy other stuff I've written. I hope it's OK to link them below;

SUPER: Old, odd, interesting, obscure and abandoned filling stations. Midlands and North of England edition

51lWj0Q-5AL._SX404_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

SUPER: Old, odd, interesting, obscure and abandoned filling stations. Wales edition.

514lihIp1GL._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_
SUPER: Old, odd, interesting, obscure and abandoned filling stations. South East of England edition.

51Ikm05Xw9L._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

SUPER: Old, odd, interesting, obscure and abandoned filling stations. South West of England edition.

51LqQKRatbL._SX404_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

SUPER: Old, odd, interesting, obscure and abandoned filling stations. Scotland edition.

51I0VJsGWGS._SX404_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Confessions from quality control: Stories of bodges and balls-ups of car factories in the nineties

41i6nsbMbDL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

Nothing handles like a rental car

4163HOAgTkL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That's the automotive stuff (apart from books I've co-authored or just contributed to, which I CBA to find and list). Here's some oddities I've also written;

Killer drinks: A compendium of lethal alcoholic drinks from around the world

31Qr4wTTvmL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

(The above is my favourite, although it's hardly a best-seller...)

Hands up!: The real lives of puppets who used to be on the telly

41hUb9Cq6ML._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The above is a surreal black comedy about Miss Piggy working in a call centre, the Klangers being on drugs, and what other puppets from the '70s and '80s are now doing for a living.

That's most of the books I've done. They're all on Amazon as print on demand, I don't have much stock of any of them to sell/post directly, soz. They are printed in the UK, I'm happy to say. 

I'm also a regular contributor to a few magazines, here are my faves;

absolute-lotus-magazine.png

AC%20free%20postage%20latest%20issue.png

I think that does it. Thanks again for your interest in my blather. 

1 hour ago, motorpunk said:

@red5 and others have asked where they might buy other stuff I've written. I hope it's OK to link them below;

SUPER: Old, odd, interesting, obscure and abandoned filling stations. Midlands and North of England edition

51lWj0Q-5AL._SX404_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

SUPER: Old, odd, interesting, obscure and abandoned filling stations. Wales edition.

514lihIp1GL._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_
SUPER: Old, odd, interesting, obscure and abandoned filling stations. South East of England edition.

51Ikm05Xw9L._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

SUPER: Old, odd, interesting, obscure and abandoned filling stations. South West of England edition.

51LqQKRatbL._SX404_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

SUPER: Old, odd, interesting, obscure and abandoned filling stations. Scotland edition.

51I0VJsGWGS._SX404_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Confessions from quality control: Stories of bodges and balls-ups of car factories in the nineties

41i6nsbMbDL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

Nothing handles like a rental car

4163HOAgTkL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That's the automotive stuff (apart from books I've co-authored or just contributed to, which I CBA to find and list). Here's some oddities I've also written;

Killer drinks: A compendium of lethal alcoholic drinks from around the world

31Qr4wTTvmL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

(The above is my favourite, although it's hardly a best-seller...)

Hands up!: The real lives of puppets who used to be on the telly

41hUb9Cq6ML._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The above is a surreal black comedy about Miss Piggy working in a call centre, the Klangers being on drugs, and what other puppets from the '70s and '80s are now doing for a living.

That's most of the books I've done. They're all on Amazon as print on demand, I don't have much stock of any of them to sell/post directly, soz. They are printed in the UK, I'm happy to say. 

I'm also a regular contributor to a few magazines, here are my faves;

absolute-lotus-magazine.png

AC%20free%20postage%20latest%20issue.png

I think that does it. Thanks again for your interest in my blather. 

"How to Drive Fast on Drugs While Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink," - is one of the best titles I know - it's a piece by PJ O'Rourke in his book Driving Like Crazy.

Certainly a way to cheer up the next A35 owners club rally.

1 hour ago, Minimad5 said:

😅 Brilliant content.

Can I ask who prints your books ?

Thank you!

It's Amazon.

They have a print on demand service, as much as they're a big 'orrible tax-dodging company, they're really slick. You order a copy of the book, they print, bind and post it to you within a few days. The print quality isn't quite coffee table stuff, but it's really efficient and not that expensive. I set the selling price on Amazon, and they calculate the royalty per copy based on that. They accumulate the royalties from sales each month and pay me a month or so later. I am not (yet) a millionaire, but it works OK. 

• 1 month later...