Working man's quattro - Audi TT - Car rejected, getting a refund

Peter C

• Peter C changed the title to Working man's quattro - Audi TT - Car rejected, getting a refund

I've done my research, sorting out the clutch properly is going to be a nightmare. Replacing the slave cylinder involves removal of the gearbox. Fuck that for a laugh.

I've written an email to the dealer this afternoon:

Dear David,

On the 17th October 2020 I bought an Audi TT, reg AX52JMU from you for the sum of £2,350, paid in full via bank transfer.

I took the car home and before putting it into daily use I carried out the following improvements:

·         Interior valet.

·         External clean and refurbishment of alloy wheel rims.

·         Treated corrosion to ends of both sills.

·         Engine oil and filter change (cost of materials £48.82)

·         Replaced 4 No spark plugs (cost of materials £14.00)

·         Ordered 4 No coil packs (cost of materials £117.56)

·         Had the cam belt, water pump and anti-freeze replaced by your mechanic (cost of materials and labour £240)

·         Total investment amounts to £420.38.

·         Purchase price £2,350

·         Total £2,770.38

The above works have significantly improved the condition of the vehicle.

I have insured and taxed the car as of the 1st November 2020 and used it for work related trips on Monday and Tuesday of this week, journeys that totalled approx 200 miles. On Thursday morning, as I was heading out to work the clutch hydraulics failed as I reached the end of my road and subsequently I delivered the car to your garage later that morning. I am aware that replacement of the master or slave cylinder on an Audi TT is a substantial and costly repair.

Aside from the failure of the clutch hydraulics, the engine is suffering from a misfire, hence I have replaced the spark plugs and ordered four new coil packs, which I expect will arrive next week. The front suspension is worn and is knocking and there is a humming sound emanating from the offside front wheel, which I suspect could be a worn wheel bearing. The air conditioning does not work and the interior mists up in cold weather conditions. The car also suffers from other minor defects, which are less significant.

In accordance with the Consumer Rights Act 2015, on the basis that I bought the car from you (a trader) less than 30 days ago and the car is affected by a list of significant defects, I hereby reject the car and wish to return the car to you and request a full refund of £2,350. If you agree to this request, I will remove my private registration from the vehicle immediately via the DVLA, reinstate the original number plates and replace my head unit with the original Sony head unit that came with the car. If you agree, I will do this tomorrow morning (Saturday) and will disregard my investment of £420.38 and I will happily forward the coil packs to you, which will hopefully solve the engine misfire. I will also return all documentation to you, including receipts for the parts and work that I had done to the car.

I await your response.

Regards,

The trader called me back promptly and agreed to my proposal. I have taken my private registration off the car and will complete the process as soon as the new logbook arrives.

I need to buy another car asap. Any suggestions?

55 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Sounds like a result, although I'd be returning the coil packs for a refund myself rather than forwarding them on.

Shame as they are nice cars.

It is a shame but the list of issues and impending expenses plus the non-DIYness of the mechanical bits worries me. I need a reliable daily and this ain’t it.

The coil packs are on route from Berlin, I can’t be bothered to send them back. The dealer is being very reasonable so I’m sticking to what I’ve offered.

5 minutes ago, ChampionRabbit said:

Gah! What a really annoying result for you! At least the dealer seems to be behaving reasonably I suppose.

Sorry to read this.

Annoying, yes, but I think it’s the best and least expensive way forward.

The dealer has been great, all credit to him.

Just now, jonathan_dyane said:

A lucky escape.

How about a late Saab 9-3 cabriolet?

Benefits from *proven and *dependable Vauxhall technology.

I’ll get me coat...

Funnily enough, I watched that old episode of Top Gear yesterday, the one with the good bye to Saab film. I wouldn’t mind a cheap 5 door 900 / 9-3 but a ragtop.... I’m not sure.

1 hour ago, Peter C said:

I've done my research, sorting out the clutch properly is going to be a nightmare. Replacing the slave cylinder involves removal of the gearbox. Fuck that for a laugh.

I've written an email to the dealer this afternoon:

Dear David,

On the 17th October 2020 I bought an Audi TT, reg AX52JMU from you for the sum of £2,350, paid in full via bank transfer.

I took the car home and before putting it into daily use I carried out the following improvements:

·         Interior valet.

·         External clean and refurbishment of alloy wheel rims.

·         Treated corrosion to ends of both sills.

·         Engine oil and filter change (cost of materials £48.82)

·         Replaced 4 No spark plugs (cost of materials £14.00)

·         Ordered 4 No coil packs (cost of materials £117.56)

·         Had the cam belt, water pump and anti-freeze replaced by your mechanic (cost of materials and labour £240)

·         Total investment amounts to £420.38.

·         Purchase price £2,350

·         Total £2,770.38

The above works have significantly improved the condition of the vehicle.

I have insured and taxed the car as of the 1st November 2020 and used it for work related trips on Monday and Tuesday of this week, journeys that totalled approx 200 miles. On Thursday morning, as I was heading out to work the clutch hydraulics failed as I reached the end of my road and subsequently I delivered the car to your garage later that morning. I am aware that replacement of the master or slave cylinder on an Audi TT is a substantial and costly repair.

Aside from the failure of the clutch hydraulics, the engine is suffering from a misfire, hence I have replaced the spark plugs and ordered four new coil packs, which I expect will arrive next week. The front suspension is worn and is knocking and there is a humming sound emanating from the offside front wheel, which I suspect could be a worn wheel bearing. The air conditioning does not work and the interior mists up in cold weather conditions. The car also suffers from other minor defects, which are less significant.

In accordance with the Consumer Rights Act 2015, on the basis that I bought the car from you (a trader) less than 30 days ago and the car is affected by a list of significant defects, I hereby reject the car and wish to return the car to you and request a full refund of £2,350. If you agree to this request, I will remove my private registration from the vehicle immediately via the DVLA, reinstate the original number plates and replace my head unit with the original Sony head unit that came with the car. If you agree, I will do this tomorrow morning (Saturday) and will disregard my investment of £420.38 and I will happily forward the coil packs to you, which will hopefully solve the engine misfire. I will also return all documentation to you, including receipts for the parts and work that I had done to the car.

I await your response.

Regards,

The trader called me back promptly and agreed to my proposal. I have taken my private registration off the car and will complete the process as soon as the new logbook arrives.

I need to buy another car asap. Any suggestions?

Well done Peter - a deft bit of negotiation there getting a result.  A bit of give each way and both parties walk away with something from an unhappy situation. Dealer sounds ok.  

52 minutes ago, ChampionRabbit said:

At least the dealer seems to be behaving reasonably I suppose.

40 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Most bombsite dealers selling a £2,000 car would have told you to hit the high road. 

The dealer had absolutely no option on this.  Had he not agreed, a very swift process in court would have seen him in trouble.

I did the same over a £600 snotter mondeo a few years back from a bombsite trader.  He didn't like it, but that's tough shit.

Just now, SiC said:

This'll be up again in a weeks time with a brand new clutch - a nasty cheap Transmech clutch. 

It’s already had a brand new clutch and DMF.

The dealer told me that they fixed the clutch pedal, apparently the pedal sprung back into place as soon as they fiddled with it. That’s bollocks, the pedal was spongy as fuck, it wasn’t a linkage issue. Perhaps they lifted the pedal up, the seal in one of the cylinders put itself right and order was restored. But for how long? 

The dealer told me that they fixed the clutch pedal, apparently the pedal sprung back into place as soon as they fiddled with it. That’s bollocks, the pedal was spongy as fuck, it wasn’t a linkage issue. Perhaps they lifted the pedal up, the seal in one of the cylinders put itself right and order was restored. But for how long? 

Minutes probably.  It sounds like a new master/slave/both are needed for any kind of reliability.  Not that it matters now...  the car is gone and it's no longer your issue.

It’s already had a brand new clutch and DMF.

Are you sure it was the (I assume) concentric slave cylinder at fault?   The CSC does need the box off yeah, but if it's just air in the one or the clutch master they're far easier to deal with.

Usually when a DMF and clutch get done, the CSC gets done too. Even the shitty transmech kit tends to come with a new CSC, they just cheap out on bolts and stuff that you get in the LUK, Sachs and Vaeleo kits.

12 minutes ago, inconsistant said:

Too soon?

Sorry, just to add I’m seriously sad this didn’t work out for you, I genuinely wanted this to be an ace bargain fun car for you,  My dad has really loved owning and driving his and they do feel special in a way so many cars don’t any more. 

Yeah, by about 50 years.

Buying a Mk1 TT made so much sense and I was genuinely excited to own this car. Unfortunately, the clutch issue and other niggles made me realise that without spending a lot of time and money the TT would not be the dependable car I need.

If I include the cost of putting my private plate back on retention and the additional cost of insurance, this adventure has set me back about £600, which is a lot less than what it would cost to get the TT properly roadworthy.

I scrapped my silver laguna because the clutch started to not return. Bite point moved to the floor and I'd have to flick the pedal back up. 

I bottled it after a few months and got rid, visions of one day being in awful traffic and it all going kaboom on the next clutch press... 

On a 2001 Laguna I'd got to about £800 in just parts as thne whole clutch/dmf was worn and rattly anyway. 

Good result all round, lucky swerve etc! I'd forward the coil packs on, karma will reward you*