Working man's quattro - Audi TT - Car rejected, getting a refund

Peter C

42 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

inciidentally just found a pic of my first TT i had back in 2011 - I paid £2k for it with about 89k on , you'd probably pay the same for it now lol 

TT 1.jpg

Apart from.that the wheels look too big, the colour definately suits, the body.

1 hour ago, AndyIggs said:

I've got a 2002 TT (225 BAM) as a daily and its a fantastic car for the money. Parts new and used are plentiful and repairs aren't too expensive either.

Keep on top of the servicing and it'll last you many years. People keep saying they are going up in value but I'm not seeing it at the moment. Mines on 111k and don't think I'd get much more than £1500 looking at current prices. 

If that’s the case then I was robbed. I don’t mind telling you that I paid £2,250 for mine, however it’s just had a new DMF, clutch, alternator and battery, with receipts for approx £1k to prove and FSH with receipts showing that it’s been looked after by previous owners. Providing that I get about two years use out of it then it’s still cheap motoring.

According to Auto Trader asking prices I’ve not overpaid but based on Facebook group ads it certainly wasn’t a bargain.

2 hours ago, AndyIggs said:

I've got a 2002 TT (225 BAM) as a daily and its a fantastic car for the money. Parts new and used are plentiful and repairs aren't too expensive either.

Keep on top of the servicing and it'll last you many years. People keep saying they are going up in value but I'm not seeing it at the moment. Mines on 111k and don't think I'd get much more than £1500 looking at current prices. 

When you come to sell, I might be interested.  I've scratched the mx5 itch, and always wanted a TT (and an A1) despite, my irrational VAG hatred. 

3 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

They are the standard wheels that come on all face-lift tt 225 bhp cars 

I reckon the artist, that designed the original car, has some aesthetic reservations over that marketing decision. I wonder if there's any functional need? 

31 minutes ago, Peter C said:

If that’s the case then I was robbed. I don’t mind telling you that I paid £2,250 for mine, however it’s just had a new DMF, clutch, alternator and battery, with receipts for approx £1k to prove and FSH with receipts showing that it’s been looked after by previous owners. Providing that I get about two years use out of it then it’s still cheap motoring.

According to Auto Trader asking prices I’ve not overpaid but based on Facebook group ads it certainly wasn’t a bargain.

Yeah you have had the major things done so hopefully trouble free motoring for a while, its worth paying the extra sometimes. I paid £1500 but it needed cambelt and the cluster sorting out. Apart from small areas of rust in certain common areas you don't see any rot on these compared to other models of the same era so they make a great winter car.

3 minutes ago, AndyIggs said:

Yeah you have had the major things done so hopefully trouble free motoring for a while, its worth paying the extra sometimes. I paid £1500 but it needed cambelt and the cluster sorting out. Apart from small areas of rust in certain common areas you don't see any rot on these compared to other models of the same era so they make a great winter car.

My local Hyundai dealer, where I got my Tucson from 3 years ago, regularly offers minimum £3k px deals. Worst case scenario, if my TT proves to be troublesome, I’ll part ex it and not be significantly out of pocket.

I must say that so far Audi ownership is everything I feared it might be; EML on, thermostat appears duff (temp sensor already changed), fuel gauge duff, headlights yesterday randomly decided to point right into the faces of oncoming traffic and refused to adjust down, central cluster (TADTS) unreadable...

I'm hoping that this isn't a typical month of TT ownership! Takes the shine off a bit to say the least.

15 minutes ago, ChampionRabbit said:

I must say that so far Audi ownership is everything I feared it might be; EML on, thermostat appears duff (temp sensor already changed), fuel gauge duff, headlights yesterday randomly decided to point right into the faces of oncoming traffic and refused to adjust down, central cluster (TADTS) unreadable...

I'm hoping that this isn't a typical month of TT ownership! Takes the shine off a bit to say the least.

I don't understand why you are having these problems the minute you have bought it, it was faultless for @jamiechod and then myself in the weeks leading up to the sale apart from the missing pixels in the central cluster, otherwise I'd never have bought it in the first place and subsequently sold it on here, (if I'd known it had issues it would have been punted on eBay or FB and I wouldn't have dropped £400 on a cambelt and water pump) we have done less than 750 miles in it since buying it as the wife genuinely found it too small after her 307cc after I pushed her into the TT as I didn't want a diesel car for her doing 10 miles a week, she's now in a 308cc (which has turned out to be a mobile paddling pool)  

32 minutes ago, ChampionRabbit said:

These issues plus vacuum leaks are reported daily on the Facebook group, which makes me a little worried.

43 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

I don't understand why you are having these problems the minute you have bought it, it was faultless for @jamiechod and then myself in the weeks leading up to the sale apart from the missing pixels in the central cluster, otherwise I'd never have bought it in the first place and subsequently sold it on here, (if I'd known it had issues it would have been punted on eBay or FB and I wouldn't have dropped £400 on a cambelt and water pump) we have done less than 750 miles in it since buying it as the wife genuinely found it too small after her 307cc after I pushed her into the TT as I didn't want a diesel car for her doing 10 miles a week, she's now in a 308cc (which has turned out to be a mobile paddling pool)  

Haven't a clue. I guess if your wife only did 750 miles in it, maybe she didn't notice the temp gauge stuck at 50? Ref lights, I guess maybe she didnt use it much at night; clocks going back and all...

Fuel gauge; maybe she never brimmed it.

Who can say? 

Caveat emptor as per.

9 hours ago, ChampionRabbit said:

What codes are you getting for the EML? I had a very similar issue to what you are getting. The issue with mine was that because the temperature on the cluster was giving an incorrect reading (anywhere between 0 and maximum) it was throwing an error on the dash saying the engine was overheating (it wasn't for sure as a lot of the time it came up after doing less than a mile!) I replaced the temp sensor (common issue) to no avail. I sent the cluster for a repair as LCD display, fuel, temperature, speed and rev counters were all knackered. Since being refurbished I've had absolutely no issues at all.

I used https://totaltronics.com/ - You can either send the cluster to him or go down and he'll do it while you wait. His names Patryk and a decent bloke.

9 hours ago, Peter C said:

These issues plus vacuum leaks are reported daily on the Facebook group, which makes me a little worried.

There's thousands of these on the road, its an old turbo engine so you are bound to get the odd issue with leaks, its definitely not out the ordinary. I had a boost pipe split on a Focus ST after 3 years!

27 minutes ago, AndyIggs said:

What codes are you getting for the EML? I had a very similar issue to what you are getting. The issue with mine was that because the temperature on the cluster was giving an incorrect reading (anywhere between 0 and maximum) it was throwing an error on the dash saying the engine was overheating (it wasn't for sure as a lot of the time it came up after doing less than a mile!) I replaced the temp sensor (common issue) to no avail. I sent the cluster for a repair as LCD display, fuel, temperature, speed and rev counters were all knackered. Since being refurbished I've had absolutely no issues at all.

I used https://totaltronics.com/ - You can either send the cluster to him or go down and he'll do it while you wait. His names Patryk and a decent bloke.

P1296, which seems to be sensor (already done) or thermostat. I'll send the cluster off at some point if I can iron out the more pressing wrinkles, but I dont reckon that's the issue here. I'd be using Pbh services since I went to school with him!

http://www.pbh-services.com/

Very good price for a cambelt!

I was at Kwikfit earlier today, and a chap came in to collect his car that had had a cambelt (at Kwikfit!!! £500!!!) just done.

Manager: Hi! Really sorry we had the car for so long, but a cam moved while the lad was fitting the belt, so we were like 'oh no! I hope it's ok' and the lad really wanted to check everything properly. He was terrified when he started it up! It was ok though. Just wanted to check and double check...

Customer: ...ok, great thanks!

If it was mine, I'd have been putting the car on ebay the minute I left the the building.

🤮

1 minute ago, ChampionRabbit said:

Very good price for a cambelt!

I was at Kwikfit earlier today, and a chap came in to collect his car that had had a cambelt (at Kwikfit!!! £500!!!) just done.

Manager: Hi! Really sorry we had the car for so long, but a cam moved while the lad was fitting the belt, so we were like 'oh no! I hope it's ok' and the lad really wanted to check everything properly. He was terrified when he started it up! It was ok though. Just wanted to check and double check...

Customer: ...ok, great thanks!

If it was mine, I'd have been putting the car on ebay the minute I left the the building.

🤮

Good price indeed, about £150-£200 less than the norm. The work was done by a garage located next to the place where I bought my TT from. The trader puts a lot of business the garage’s way, in return they offer a quick and cheap service, so I’m told.

Today’s outlay offsets the slightly high price that I’ve paid for the car. A good result I guess.

So, my TT now has a brand new cambelt, water pump, DMF, clutch, alternator, battery, oil and filter change. I’m going to start using it from Sunday. What’s gonna fuck up first? Place your bets.

• Peter C changed the title to Working man's quattro - Audi TT - Ready for daily duties

As much as I like my old Alpine head unit, it doesn't have Bluetooth connectivity. Having spent time researching how best to connect my iPhone to my head unit, I remembered that I had this gadget, which I last used about 3 years ago in my Merc CLS.

49.thumb.jpg.d2475f3fee603f34d4dbb08796a7daf8.jpg

It was easy enough to connect and the device paired with my iPhone immediately. It will do for now but I don't like the excess cables sticking out of the dashboard. Once I have established a relationship with the TT, I will treat it to a nice new head unit.

50.thumb.jpg.768c80207d6f9577320ac9b53c372cd5.jpg

Despite the original boot carpet's less than perfect condition, I cut an old boot liner to shape and fitted it in the back of the TT.

51.thumb.jpg.d8620d88d2d4b4166309563ae58e6fc7.jpg

There's plenty of space for my surveying equipment plus rucksack, lunchbox and tea flask. 

52.thumb.jpg.aac8af290dd906a4e7f4f2380cfcce2a.jpg

The TT is now parked on the drive outside the house and is taxed and insured from tomorrow morning. Despite the crap weather forecast, I might take it for a first proper drive tomorrow (Sunday) rather than christening it on route to work on a dreary Monday morning. The TT looks tiny compared with my wife's Tucson. 

53.thumb.jpg.b97b6b50e18d240a53c4519df5bc14d6.jpg

I spent a bit of time this morning tarting up my Tucson, which has served me well for almost 3 years. If the TT misbehaves, I might chop it in for another lease car. Hyundai offer a minimum £3k px, which would be a nice deposit down payment on another Tucson, if need be. But let's hope it won't come to that. 

54.thumb.jpg.fc36dc0bf503776b44a668a35c19d4f4.jpg

I have an Alpine head unit currently on ebay that I've just taken out of the TT because it doesn't have a CD player. It has blue tooth etc though. Also, it's cheap.

I don't know about your setup, but the after market head that that came fitted to mine sounded crap because the signal to the factory sub doesn't get managed properly by aftermarket wiring, so the sound is all mid/hi horror. I put an Audi head unit back in and the sound is far, far better even though the head unit is arguably not as good. Also, it means I can use the hidden 6 CD changer, which works well.

I don't know how you'd compensate for the sub wiring issue (well, more bass speaker than sub really) with an aftermarket head.

2 hours ago, ChampionRabbit said:

I have an Alpine head unit currently on ebay that I've just taken out of the TT because it doesn't have a CD player. It has blue tooth etc though. Also, it's cheap.

I don't know about your setup, but the after market head that that came fitted to mine sounded crap because the signal to the factory sub doesn't get managed properly by aftermarket wiring, so the sound is all mid/hi horror. I put an Audi head unit back in and the sound is far, far better even though the head unit is arguably not as good. Also, it means I can use the hidden 6 CD changer, which works well.

I don't know how you'd compensate for the sub wiring issue (well, more bass speaker than sub really) with an aftermarket head.

When I bought my TT it already had an aftermarket Sony head unit. It sounded ok but I fitted my Alpine anyway. It sounds ok, no issues with quality or lack of bass. Perhaps the wiring is simpler in a TT fitted with a basic sound system?

• Peter C changed the title to Working man's quattro - Audi TT - Road Test & Pretty Photos

The TT was taxed and insured as of midnight and ready for our maiden voyage. As the second lockdown is scheduled for Thursday, today was my only opportunity to take the TT for a get to know each other drive in the country. I headed out from home down the A413 towards Amersham, Great Missenden, Wendover, Aylesbury to Buckingham and back via Aldbury, approx 75 miles. 

Before setting off, I got my 6ft 2in 15 stone frame comfortably seated. The interior environment is very comfortable and spacious (for two) and the low seating position, dashboard architecture  and low roof line make it feel a special place, something you don't get in a hot hatch. The seats are superb, comfortable whilst providing plenty of support in all the right places. The gearstick looks and feels great but could be an inch closer, never mind. The steering wheel is a work of art. It's pretty and a joy to hold, with profiled flat sections just below the central part of the rim. The sound system works absolutely fine and I do not propose to spend £££ on immediate upgrades. 

The TT is a lovely car to drive. Ok, it's only the 180BHP version, but nonetheless it shifts. My days of street racing are long gone and all I need is a dynamic and swift car to get around in. The TT has superb grip, despite today's wet road conditions there was never a hint of wheelspin or torque steer. I used 80% of the available performance three times, twice in 2nd / 3rd gear to pass two cars ahead of me which refused to overtake a learner doing 30MPH on an A-road, to pass a Transit whose driver was too engaged with his mobile phone to care how he was driving and once in 1st gear whilst pulling into a busy roundabout. The engine makes a pleasant sound, which is not too loud or distracting but reassuringly sporty to remind you that you are driving something special. The gearchange is superb and the clutch action is absolutely spot on (no doubt due to installation of a brand new DMF and clutch). I certainly don't need a 225BHP or V6 TT. Ride comfort is good for a sporty car, firm but not crashy. 

The tyres currently fitted include a pair of naff non-matching Chinese unknown brands on the front, fitted by the guy who kept the TT for a year before I got it and the rears are 2/3 worn Pirellis. On certain surfaces, the front tyres hum. Fortunately,  decent replacement tyres are readily available and are not too expensive. The only other issue is the gearing, which is quite low. At 70MPH, in sixth gear, the engine is spinning at a busy 3,000 rev/min. Fortunately I don't do many motorway miles.

Overall, I love the TT and I am so glad that I had today's opportunity to get to know it. I got carried away with my camera and took some arty photos for your viewing pleasure.

55.thumb.jpg.bdceffb77baf26ed1c04d8be766cd2dc.jpg

56.thumb.jpg.13d326dcc8a3ac828438877d32684b52.jpg

57.thumb.jpg.28019bc4df088d4453e243b295a25f6a.jpg

58.thumb.jpg.b7ed13aee58809fc45f9f4cf9357fe7b.jpg

59.thumb.jpg.0a845933a7c3a85e3a13d78a57e019dc.jpg

60.thumb.jpg.d67089e4641b3f99a46aed036b156143.jpg

61.thumb.jpg.014ccca39a237cde6f2da7ec4e07e59b.jpg

62.thumb.jpg.0c159bc5c37a5631a46b8568bbfc8d9c.jpg

63.thumb.jpg.b4ab61d2f2b73dcf0b027d056c577118.jpg

Interesting about the gearing. Ours is 5 speed, and is doing 3k and a bit at about 80 (on the drive, which is private and thus completely legal), which is way, way more than I'm used to but was absolutely fine on the motorway today where I wasn't doing 80 because obviously that's against the law.

I guess the 5th gear isn't far off the 6th by the sound of it. The gearing is definitely short, but suits the car IMO.

13 minutes ago, ChampionRabbit said:

Interesting about the gearing. Ours is 5 speed, and is doing 3k and a bit at about 80 (on the drive, which is private and thus completely legal), which is way, way more than I'm used to but was absolutely fine on the motorway today where I wasn't doing 80 because obviously that's against the law.

I guess the 5th gear isn't far off the 6th by the sound of it. The gearing is definitely short, but suits the car IMO.

The short gearing is fine for urban and A road driving but it might be a bit tiring for prolonged motorway journeys. As I’ve said, my work rarely takes me far so the gearing is not an issue.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:57 PM, Peter C said:

The TT was taxed and insured as of midnight and ready for our maiden voyage. As the second lockdown is scheduled for Thursday, today was my only opportunity to take the TT for a get to know each other drive in the country. I headed out from home down the A413 towards Amersham, Great Missenden, Wendover, Aylesbury to Buckingham and back via Aldbury, approx 75 miles. 

Before setting off, I got my 6ft 2in 15 stone frame comfortably seated. The interior environment is very comfortable and spacious (for two) and the low seating position, dashboard architecture  and low roof line make it feel a special place, something you don't get in a hot hatch. The seats are superb, comfortable whilst providing plenty of support in all the right places. The gearstick looks and feels great but could be an inch closer, never mind. The steering wheel is a work of art. It's pretty and a joy to hold, with profiled flat sections just below the central part of the rim. The sound system works absolutely fine and I do not propose to spend £££ on immediate upgrades. 

The TT is a lovely car to drive. Ok, it's only the 180BHP version, but nonetheless it shifts. My days of street racing are long gone and all I need is a dynamic and swift car to get around in. The TT has superb grip, despite today's wet road conditions there was never a hint of wheelspin or torque steer. I used 80% of the available performance three times, twice in 2nd / 3rd gear to pass two cars ahead of me which refused to overtake a learner doing 30MPH on an A-road, to pass a Transit whose driver was too engaged with his mobile phone to care how he was driving and once in 1st gear whilst pulling into a busy roundabout. The engine makes a pleasant sound, which is not too loud or distracting but reassuringly sporty to remind you that you are driving something special. The gearchange is superb and the clutch action is absolutely spot on (no doubt due to installation of a brand new DMF and clutch). I certainly don't need a 225BHP or V6 TT. Ride comfort is good for a sporty car, firm but not crashy. 

The tyres currently fitted include a pair of naff non-matching Chinese unknown brands on the front, fitted by the guy who kept the TT for a year before I got it and the rears are 2/3 worn Pirellis. On certain surfaces, the front tyres hum. Fortunately,  decent replacement tyres are readily available and are not too expensive. The only other issue is the gearing, which is quite low. At 70MPH, in sixth gear, the engine is spinning at a busy 3,000 rev/min. Fortunately I don't do many motorway miles.

Overall, I love the TT and I am so glad that I had today's opportunity to get to know it. I got carried away with my camera and took some arty photos for your viewing pleasure.

55.thumb.jpg.bdceffb77baf26ed1c04d8be766cd2dc.jpg

56.thumb.jpg.13d326dcc8a3ac828438877d32684b52.jpg

57.thumb.jpg.28019bc4df088d4453e243b295a25f6a.jpg

58.thumb.jpg.b7ed13aee58809fc45f9f4cf9357fe7b.jpg

59.thumb.jpg.0a845933a7c3a85e3a13d78a57e019dc.jpg

60.thumb.jpg.d67089e4641b3f99a46aed036b156143.jpg

61.thumb.jpg.014ccca39a237cde6f2da7ec4e07e59b.jpg

62.thumb.jpg.0c159bc5c37a5631a46b8568bbfc8d9c.jpg

63.thumb.jpg.b4ab61d2f2b73dcf0b027d056c577118.jpg

I’m off to look for a TT! Looks ace!