How much would you pay for this ?

Bradders59

13 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

Let me get this straight.  A water leak from the hood soaks a £1K control box because it is in a footwell?

Is it me or what.  That is mental.  It's a convertible, surely they should anticipate water leaks occasionally?  With the best fitting hood out there, it could be left open by mistake or something.

the control box is under the rear of the passenger seat not the footwell.  The water runs down the back bulkhead so you can't see it getting in (and the bit that is not sealing is under the hood stowage flap so you can't easily see its not seated properly from the outside).   Apparently its the tensioner cable which snaps.   Problem in our case was the Mrs just left the hood up and didn't use it rather than getting it looked at. Came back from holiday to find the car parked with windows open and battery flat. Neighbours told us the horn had been sounding windows going up and down and lights flashing all the time we were away as the module short circuited until the battery went flat 😳

43 minutes ago, lisbon_road said:

Let me get this straight.  A water leak from the hood soaks a £1K control box because it is in a footwell?

Is it me or what.  That is mental.  It's a convertible, surely they should anticipate water leaks occasionally?  With the best fitting hood out there, it could be left open by mistake or something.

not a problem to first owner with warrenty...they dont give a **** about em when theyre 20 years old but can still cost ££££ to keep right

1 hour ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

Particularly as the 3.2 S is so cheap at the moment too 😍

I think now is a good time to buy a 986 Boxster, they're at the bottom of their value curve for sure.

I think they may have just come of the bottom of their curve. I have a feeling if I dont get one soon I wont be able to afford one

They've been saying they are the bottom of their curve for years! 

Personally I'd not discount the 2.7. Both the 3.2 and 2.7 will be smoked off by any modern hot hatch with a DSG type box. However the 3.2 has a lot harder suspension and more expensive consumables (brakes/shocks/etc). Real world there isn't a lot in them. My 2.7 still does 70mph in 2nd gear at the red line and I don't like hard launches on the drivetrain, so a 3.2 won't be a lot of difference. Also the 2.7 has a nicer looking exhaust imo. The five speed in the 2.7 appears to have less issues than the six speed in the 3.2. Gearing on the 2.7 at motorway speeds is just fine. 

Toy wise, there isn't a lot between a normal spec 2.7 (climate control/cd player) than a 3.2 base. These had most stuff as paid for options out of the factory. I remember the CD/Tape holder option in the centre console being the cheapest option when my mum ordered hers and was picking what to have. £80 iirc. 

Personally a 3 spoke steering wheel is a must. Wind deflector too. Air con is a nice to have. Door speakers is nice to have as the base system with two speakers is a bit dire - but I rarely listen to the radio anyway. I mean there is a flat six behind you!

Having to the karate chop on the plastic window on the hood gets old pretty quick. Usually my wife gets this job as I'm the one driving/operating the switch. Facelift got a glass window and much better. I'd be seriously considering changing mine to a glass back if my plastic window splits. 

That £4k one in Wigan looks a MUCH better bet, in fact it looks pretty mint. 

Yes I know it's double the price but I reckon in the current climate you could get away with that for £3500 and save yourself a lot of heartache. Plenty of low interest loans and cheap credit cards about now if you don't quite have the cash which you can set a standing order up for £150 month and pay off within a year.  Also next summer, if we're out of covid bullshit, things like this will command a premium as people will start to say "fuck it, life's too short, let's get a 2 seater and tour around Britain for the summer, forget about 2020". 

If you've got cash I'd wait until the week or two running up to Christmas as you often get amazing bargains then with people wanting the extra cash. 

Mid January is also a good time. 

There are bargains out there and people sell for all sorts of reasons, I've given stuff away in the past just because I need the space or have totally lost interest in a project. If I looked back I'd have nightmares as to how much I've lost on some things but then I look in my hidden away garage and see a cossie that stands me under £4k and can't even comprehend that's now worth at least £15k as it stands now, finished off probably £20-25k?

I always judge the car not the owner. Many people say I'm wrong for that but I've bought some great cars from really dodgy people and some really dodgy cars from some great people. 

A lot of folk get hung up on street traders making a drink on a car yet don't quibble when someone puts a £1000 kitchen and bathroom in a house, paints it all in magnolia, £500's worth of burns inducing carpets and makes £30k on it.