How much would you pay for this ?

Bradders59

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Boxster-986-1997-R-140k/184486537329?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Its localish to me. The colour I want. But far from a perfect example. My gut feeling is slightly more than the current bid, but not sure.

Am I right in thinking these early 2.5,s dont suffer the IMS issues ?

I may be able to go and view it Monday, which might give more of an idea, of the car and the seller.

Opinions please.

10 minutes ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

To add, my personal opinion is that it's currently about 'its money'.  (£2.1k).  That roof will be very expensive to return back to electrical operation and the non working c/l is probably water ingress into the footwell, which is a common malady and will need to be addressed asap.

my Mrs has the later version, and Indeed a roof problem lead to water ingress under the seat which eventually took out the module which controls Alarm, locking etc etc.  would check under passenger seat very carefully as if that module goes its over a grand to sort 

The parts prices put me off a bit. The manual roof could be a blessing just be careful the frame isn't twisted. When putting the Z4 roof up manually as there's no handle it was easy to get the top out of shape. 

It's mot'd and runs, which is a lot more than can be said for similar boxsters in this price range.

I think @Rusty_Rocket is right, it's about the correct money where it is. Gut feel says £2.5k to £3k absolute max. Providing it runs and drives well in person. 

Personally I'd get an MX5 over a early 2.5 Boxster. 

Also he says it's not modified, yet it's got fogged rear lights, silver paint on the spoiler and a glass backed hood. I'm not sure a tatty 140k 2.5 Boxster will be appreciating much for quite a while!

Electric roof on these isn't complex. Basically one big disc with arms attached to it like a cam. Powered by a motor and only a pair of switches to detect when fully open or closed and if the handle is undone. Then the control module has the handbrake switch and Speedo signal for the safety mechanism. 

Certainly not like the hydraulic systems you get on some cars (Saab 9-3, Merc CLK, etc) where there is a whole manor of valves, actuators, rams and pumps. All relying on microswitches to determine which stage of the hood opening cycle they are. 

Hood motor is in the middle here and pulls on the cables to the gearboxes at the end:

s-l1600.jpg

This is the boomerang cam thing on the other side of those gearboxes that move the hood and cover in one action:

post-6627-126871104412_thumb.jpg

I reckon all they have done is just disconnect the cables to the gearboxes. Probably actually have been just as much work to do that than replace the microswitch that breaks!

Does make you wonder if they've bodges it to a manual roof, what else has been bodged or not fixed?

How long ago though ? Ive been watching them this year and they rarely go for much under 3 grand at the moment. Maybe they have bottomed out and are on the way up ?

Might put a bid in just above where it is at the moment. Will see how I feel over the next few hours.

Thanks for the info and opinions. 

I must admit, my bulshit detector twitches every time I read it. I suppose the thing is - is he covering up things that arent too major in order to get the best price for it. Or covering up the fact that its a shed and the engine is likely to implode by the time I drive it home ?

He might have priced up a central locking ecu and though "fuck that". Or the initial 10 second lumpiness on cold start could mean a major engine disaster looming.

Hard to tell. So it depends how lucky I feel, and how prepared I am to take a gamble. Im not worried about putting hours of work into it, and sourcing either pattern or decent used parts to sort its problems. Its all about the gamble really.

Might sleep on it and see how lucky I feel in the morning. I suspect it will go for more than Im prepared to pay anyway. I suspect quite a few of these older Boxsters get bought by breakers, who make a lot of money out of the parts over a period of time. Especially if they export the parts.

If I could find one for no more than £2500 I probably would. Well I actually found one last weekend, but I think it sold in about half an hour.

Im not too bothered about it only being a 2.5. My days of driving flat out everywhere, and racing every other car on the road are behind me now

Been there, done it and grown out of it. 2.5 should be quick enough to have a bit of fun when Im in the mood.

Its that elusive genuine car which might need a few little jobs doing, at a price that suits my wallet that Im trying to find.

Its possible this car could be it, but also possible that its just a heap of trouble. We are back to that gamble subject again. Thats the decision I have to make.

Besides all of the above from SiC, the DVLA suggest he's owned it since July (not March) and the RFL would seem to back that up. He's left it at work (big yard from the looks of it) but has no storage. The (shit) pictures were taken in the rain, the back lights look hideous (and are a sure sign that it's fallen into 'poverty' ownership at some point, where horrific modifications were probably deemed better than servicing or repairs), it's a pretty shit colour and he seems to have glossed over any real mechanical talk through. Chequered MOT history (appreciate it's an old car, but you'd expect it to be looked after) doesn't help it either, imho.

No silly offers? It's an auction.

Why only one key in the ignition, where's his house keys etc? 

Why no enlarged pictures capability?

What's going on with the trim around the hood?

Sack it off.

I asked my Mrs more about her issue with the roof and subsequent water leak. Apparently the last bit of the roof going up is the bit which clicks the rear section under the back window down and seals it. The electrics stopped on her motor part way up so she just manually pulled the hood up decided not to use it. What she couldn't see is that although the top and sides were watertight the bit at the base which you can't see was not in place and water was  sleeping in and gathering under the seat and fried the control box.  She has the later shape (2005) model and I have no idea if the roof mechanism is the same but I would be weary of one where the hood is not fully functional electrically

36 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Why only one key in the ignition, where's his house keys etc?

My brother does this. 

“why don’t you put your house keys and car keys together?”

”because if some moron breaks in to steal the car keys for the car, at least they won’t take all my other keys with it”

point well taken I think. 

1 minute ago, sutty2006 said:

My brother does this. 

“why don’t you put your house keys and car keys together?”

”because if some moron breaks in to steal the car keys for the car, at least they won’t take all my other keys with it”

point well taken I think. 

I do too..No idea why but always have. Don't like my house keys and car keys on the same bunch

Fair enough, never thought of that. Have always thought people selling cars with only the actual key in the ignition meant they had either just bought it or didn't drive it much.

Another thing is when you see a yellow plastic or cardboard tag attached: straight out of the block or local garage's trade stock.  

the good ol photo it in the rain trick 

very rarely see a bargain these days , it the sort of thing id talk myself into ....1000 cheaper than a working one then spend 1800 making it work and still have a dog 

i guess if you dont plan to fix any of it then carry on...but by the time its fixed and all the hidden faults fixed it will cost the same as a decent one anyway....prob be getting cheaper over winter too 

Let me get this straight.  A water leak from the hood soaks a £1K control box because it is in a footwell?

Is it me or what.  That is mental.  It's a convertible, surely they should anticipate water leaks occasionally?  With the best fitting hood out there, it could be left open by mistake or something.