Winston the Lupo arrives!

Considering my position after the MGF, I decided it was time to buy a cheap little runabout. The only caveat was that it had to be super smoll with a smoll engine for insurance purposes and I didn't want something overly complicated.

Enter Winston ......IMG_20201013_181308.thumb.jpg.207a7eae8305b9ffcb3074877cb422c4.jpgIMG_20201013_181328.thumb.jpg.7ce611c3c61e3e732a7c99878198033f.jpgIMG_20201013_181342.thumb.jpg.5cda9a574542d04a0d8ada6df03b4b9b.jpgIMG_20201013_181357.thumb.jpg.f8cf24a6b837d1ff3fbbc672a95e7e0b.jpg

I was told that you can't get lots of shopping in these, utter nonsense!IMG_20201014_144109.thumb.jpg.9ea4923b22ebe88074be58b1a5958684.jpgThat is £130 shop in the back there 😆

did need a bath though, that was yesterday's job....received_1072033269910004.thumb.jpeg.1b7ba560d81f1d8ad012b9b03148a4e2.jpeg

Not bad for £280 really, especially considering that the last lady owned this for 5 years and really looked after it. 

He does have a few small niggles (re price so acceptable).

Missfire on idle (getting code reader sorted tomorrow so I can hook up to torque pro)

Lower drivers door hinge needs replacement

Ready for tyres

A few dings on the bumpers and a couple of small scratches.

I think this was a wise budgeting decision for transport at 71,850 miles

Nice! Is there much rust? They tend to last well.  Presume it’s a petrol ? I remember years back TG did a feature on these- going around the m25 on the least about of fuel or something?

Among other things they’re great at , these things are brilliant for moving stuff about with. Once delivered a sofa to dewsbury in my old one. 
Great cars that somehow manage to be much better than the 6n polo they’re based on

46 minutes ago, HMC said:

Nice! Is there much rust? They tend to last well.  Presume it’s a petrol ? I remember years back TG did a feature on these- going around the m25 on the least about of fuel or something?

It's a 1.0mpi E. There really is bugger all to go wrong except the engine. It has 3 luxurious items ..... 

Abs, Pas, airbags.

There is little to no rust on this one. The only bit I found was a spot about 1mm in diameter behind the driver's door 

I can’t explain why, but I really, really like these, and have done since they were new. I test drove an Arosa a few years back and for it’s size and what they cost new, I was very impressed with how nice it felt (it stank of cigarettes and the gearbox sounded like it was about to pop, so I didn’t buy it, but I’ve still wanted one) Considering that they stopped making them 15 years ago, the number that are still on the road is a testament to how well made they are. I believe they galvanised the bodies as well, so they hold up quite well against rust.

£280 sounds like a pretty good price too. Can I call dibs when you come to sell it haha?

2 hours ago, chompy_snake said:

Missfire on idle (getting code reader sorted tomorrow so I can hook up to torque pro)

Uh-oh! Hopefully just a coil or slipped timing. Got a compression tester?

14 minutes ago, SiC said:

Uh-oh! Hopefully just a coil or slipped timing. Got a compression tester?

Have access to compression tester, has had new coil but suspect leads are pooh as they arc out if you put something metal near them at the coil pack end. 

Had timing belt at 45k so I reckon it's getting or is past ready at approaching 72k. 

I would say it goes too well for head issues or low compression and the misfire is only it idle speed and not anything above 2k rpm static or at all when driving 

24 minutes ago, HMC said:

Also- is “winston” from you or the prev owner? The wheeltrims look tidy, original and are cable tied on which hints at a caring PO.

Winston is courtesy of a friend, first person to guess why wins nothing 😆

PO pretty much spent whatever it needed whenever is was due 👍🏻

I don't think the 1.0 suffered too badly from compression issues did it - they were more an issue with the 1.2 IIRC?

I fancy a 1.7 SDI one of these one day.  I've always found a smoll car with a large NA diesel engine is the best recipe for simple reliable silly-MPG motoring.

Niiiice! #JazzClub

I really fancied one of these when they were new. IMO VW should have kept making the Lupo and cut the list prices rather than bring out the bland looking Fox. A spiritual successor to the original Beetle. 

21 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

fancy a 1.7 SDI one of these one day.  I've always found a smoll car with a large NA diesel engine is the best recipe for simple reliable silly-MPG motoring.

The 1.7 SDI oddly appeals to me too. 

1 minute ago, bunglebus said:

The Fox was bloody awful. I don't even think the fuck Up  is as good as a Lupo

The fuck UP is shit, according to someone I worked with, who loved her lupo.  

1 hour ago, chompy_snake said:

Winston is courtesy of a friend, first person to guess why wins nothing 😆

Winston and lupo are both surnames in law and order.

Do I win a bag of nowt for the boot?

5 minutes ago, chompy_snake said:

I like the UP! 

Think of the Lupo as a 20 year old UP! And you are about on the money. 

Terrified a VW salesman on test drive when I took a new UP! For a spin back in 2012 😆

To be fair she might  have been.talking about the POXy Fox - Why did Reliant not sue those Bastards for using thier Trade Mark ? 

I have also been looking for a Fantasia green Lupo for some time now but they are all miles away as usual. There is someone on here got one but I cant remember who.

That one looks a great buy. 

Daughter  no.2 has a 1.4 petrol Lupo with a fucked clutch. Drives like a go-cart.

Lupos are decent cars! The 1.0 engine is just about enough power and doesn't suffer from valve stem seal issues like the 1.4 - I would be surprised if there are any of them 1.4s left TBH, most will have been scrapped because of MOT emissions fails years ago. Mine used to do a full on smokescreen effect at the bottom of every hill, and would use about 2 litres of oil every 100 miles, it'd only done 75k!

Get your head up under the dash and check the pedal box isn't cracked where the clutch pedal mounts - If it hasn't been replaced, it will crack and your clutch will fall off! You can apparently bodge weld them in situ. I took the whole dash out to change mine following VWs instructions, but my mate who worked at VW doing these under warranty reckons he could do them in 45 minutes by just bending the dash out of the way or something. 

Daughters 1.4s  just passed its MOT today. It just scraped through on emissions. Its only done 50000 miles. You also have to keep an eye on the oil level. 

Thanks for the tip about the pedal box.

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

The Fox was bloody awful. I don't even think the Up yours  is as good as a Lupo

Agreed. There’s something “right” about these. I like them far better than the equivalent generation polo. It’s sort what the polo started out life as, but then got bigger and more complicated.

1 hour ago, doug said:

I have also been looking for a Fantasia green Lupo for some time now but they are all miles away as usual. There is someone on here got one but I cant remember who.

That one looks a great buy. 

Daughter  no.2 has a 1.4 petrol Lupo with a fucked clutch. Drives like a go-cart.

I had a green sdi but sold it a couple of month ago. There’s pushbikes that cost more to run