Worth buying? Old BMW 528i - advice needed from expert shitters

Peter C

I'd buy a real banger e39 and see how it goes, or spend quite a bit on a perfect one which I was going to keep perfect. I went in the middle and bought an apparently "mint" £3000 530i sport. In my head, mint meant "as new"... clearly my expectations were unrealistic. It had quite a few niggles (some bigger than others), a bit of rust poking through after a while, and  a couple of small breakdowns which were extremely frustrating and annoyingly expensive. I had to do quite a lot of de-chavving and I improved the car but unlike most other cars that I've had and enjoyed, it didn't feel comfortable with its little foibles and faults. I just felt a bit sad driving around in a nice old car on the cusp of getting shit. The problem might have been more in my head than with the car itself.  It was a very capable thing but just not very characterful in my opinion.

I'd love a second go at one with a 540i touring at complete banger money.

1 minute ago, rainagain said:

If you can afford a new 5 series how about you look at E39 M5s. If you look after it you should be able to get your money back when you sell it as well, which would fit in with your financial thinking. 

Too much of a liability and too much car for daily use and keeping outside on the drive all year round.

19 hours ago, angle said:

Nope. That's true with the new Cat S / Cat N classification, but C and D was purely on cost of repair. Cat C means the cost of the repair exceeded the cars value, and Cat D meant the whole insurance bill (including transport and car hire and storage and whatever else) would have been more than the car was worth. My old Xantia was Cat C for a slightly dented wing, on the basis it was worth about 27p, so more or less any repair work would have cost more than just paying out for a total loss. Same for an elderly BMW, I'd imagine. 

Pretty much bang on there, so much confusion regarding cat markers. Often it's down to the relationship the garage have with the assessor or certainly was when I was repairing stuff. If you REALLY wanted it for yourself and knew the assessor he could swing a C to a D but nothing much more serious. 

Just now, vaughant said:

Pretty much bang on there, so much confusion regarding cat markers. Often it's down to the relationship the garage have with the assessor or certainly was when I was repairing stuff. If you REALLY wanted it for yourself and knew the assessor he could swing a C to a D but nothing much more serious. 

Should say USED to be, a bit more structured now. 

Nice model, but far too much money for an old 5 series with cloth and basic wheels.  OK, the headlights have been changed, that's because at that age the adjusters would have broken and the reflectors rusted out.  What about the other age related failures looming?  Radiator, waterpump, fuel lines and ABS controller for a kick-off.  20 year old peaches should have had those rusty bits nipped in the bud too, not becoming an issue for a future buyer.  Then you will have to get used to the cost of regular tyre, brake and suspension components as they are very much consumables on the 5s.  You can easily get the autobox serviced now, there is no magic to doing it, but if it's too late, that will pop it's clogs too.  Cat C is irrelevant, its an old car. (Other than the dealer looking for a cash offer as he is unlikely to be able to offer finance on it).

Fundamentally, no.  As soon as I saw the tyre paint it's clear someone is trying to polish in the profit.  Buy a tattier, private sale  version for much. much less, have the same repair bills and the same fun.

14 hours ago, rainagain said:

If you can afford a new 5 series how about you look at E39 M5s. If you look after it you should be able to get your money back when you sell it as well, which would fit in with your financial thinking. 

this is a good point, Peter, if your thinking along those lines - a good all round daily-er would be a clean & tidy 530i sport - which will see its residuals maintained or improved over the next coming years. They are in a simmlar category to clean 328i E36 sports now. Certainly not a bad investment and a peach of an engine . 

Just now, jamiechod said:

this is a good point, Peter, if your thinking along those lines - a good all round daily-er would be a clean & tidy 530i sport - which will see its residuals maintained or improved over the next coming years. They are in a simmlar category to clean 328i E36 sports now. Certainly not a bad investment and a peach of an engine . 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E39-2003-BMW-530i-M-Sport/114458072701?hash=item1aa63b967d:g:MiQAAOSwEYZfg1dq

couple of superficial scabs, nothing too drastic, seems well priced for a 530iA sport

I've not read the whole thread, so I don't know if I'm off the mark here, but I'd be looking for a cheapish e39. for £1,750 you could end up buying a second if it all ends in tears first time round. I had an e39 Touring 528 with 250,000+ miles and as many previous owners. It was an outstanding car, probably the most capable and most refined thing I've had (not necessarily the accolade you think it is considering my car history). I've not driven the 523, but i was told the economy of the 528 isn't much worse because the engine doesn't work as hard and that also factors into durability. My other piece of advice is as these were built 1996 to 2004(?), go for a pre-2001 to save on the road tax as the rules changed around then, unless you need Isofix, then I think you need post 2002, but I could be wrong.

Without doubt one of my favourite cars. Maybe I got lucky, but they are out there.

IMG_0892.thumb.JPG.fddb2bf68f1cbc362b2fdce278524203.JPG

Good luck, I hope you get one!

• 4 weeks later...