Swift... eh? Nah!

tooSavvy

L8 noose....

I *remembered where I filled up

*not often!!

I asked if my twist on top had been handed in... Q big rummage on windowsill... "This it?" >> offered GM/Corsa screwwie. "Cheers!" ;)

It fits.... Has a twist click ratchet limiter.

So now I'm sorted with One ON & One coming that I can't misplace...

Win Win result :)

OK..... I have a 'cunning plan'....

The fuel door has the 'poingg open' spring missing and, so, slaps shut as soon as you open it/turn about to grab fuel filler from pump.

I will wrap a split keyring (no hole drilling) into the hinge mech, to secure end of tether >>> open door/unscrew cap/dangle cap down below fuel flap door = door can't close :)

*postie just dropped off my new cap*

Like it when a plan works.

;)

I'm a 'pragmatic' sorta guy.... SuziQ is not going to set the world alight on StraightLining (... but is a hoot!).

My concern is more my enthusiastic 'corner entry' style (... ANOTHER hoot!) and the state of factory braking... [Last of L8, inst].

A plan is forming for the mildest of mild upgrades  :)

Factory discs are 231/17tk. I have trawled through Brembo and found the Ignis disk is 257/17tk. Same height but smaller c/bore... Bore that out to 64mm.

The 17mm disc thickness is important because I'm hoping to simply relocate the caliper bracket (for the 13mm increase in disc radius) and run my factory brakes unchanged......

50904494483_310c6dc87b_c.jpg

This picture of an 'off the shelf' caliper relocation adapter plate is some idea of what I need to make for myself.

Canny little project for when the weather warms up a bit..... ;)

These are totally 'd'ya remember when..!' >>> totally rusted to memory.

I owned a 5sp 1.0 - totally flat 210% :)

People cast back to BITD when a 1.0Metro pops up on Ebay....

.... Been there m8 + STILL AM "Have the T-shirt" .....

Looking forward to every trip out [Tesco re-supply, officer] but luvvinn it all the same

;)

At this time of the year & with Covid keeping folks at home...

We go out in SuziQ roughly every 3days, 5 mile round trip to Tesco BUT with Lights/Blower/HRW going all gunz. I have a ciggy socket 'USB/Voltmeter' and it shows a resolute 14.2V at all times (drops a bit when idling at lights)...

Battery is holding up fine and the 3potta crashes into voice @2turns.

Big Winzz ;)

Luvvinn-it

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seriously considering getting the one on FleeBay @£20

https://www.mg-rover.com/inc/sdetail/genuine_austin_rover_classic_mini_four_spoke_steering_wheel_fam4443/2029/374

14" and a nice thinnish rim.... Unlike the mattesons sausage I wrestle with atm :(

Engineering obstacles to be overcome.... like larger spline bore? Meh.... ;)

We Will See #update = 380mm dia!

Wheel arrived...... Mintty mint & round.

The mount is simple.... Two pins stick out back - either side of the splined hole - I will cut a thick plate disc (like an aftermarket wheel centre @6 csk holes) the bolt this wheel onto it = Locked Solid on a through bolt :)

The mounting adapter + height of Mini wheel boss will make rim stand out/away from stalks as factory now.

ToMM© had a fab, comfy and neat wheel.... Pleasant to work with and look at.  This set up is going to make SuziQ a much nicer place to be.....

;)

6 hours ago, ProgRocker said:

I wondered if the 'new' wheel would fit but it seems like you have a solution to the problem. :)

The standard steering wheels on these do look a bit odd without the Suzuki badge imo. 

Yeah..... Ffinn Lameo 'AirBag stylee'...

I call it my 'pie in your face' wheel.

I'm well buzzin about the new one, owning & driving a car is really the only total self indulgence I get ;)

Wohh Ho Ho Ho *braketest* .... ooof!

Dingbat vapid she-person arrives at junction lines.... Looks LEFT, moving.... Pulls out!!

"Yoo Hoo... I say, fuckwitt... It's MEEEE"

I smoke emm to a halt and, with a look of mild surprise, she waves and tootles straight out turning right across me....

Brakes Work >>> more of interest to her, in the 'real world', and her drivers door.......

:(

On 21/02/2021 at 09:05, ProgRocker said:

I wondered if the 'new' wheel would fit but it seems like you have a solution to the problem. :)

The standard steering wheels on these do look a bit odd without the Suzuki badge imo. 

Today has been mainly.....

Measure twice, fret, measure again, reimagine configuration, measure again, smile :)

Ran a tap through the six locating screwholes, created a feasible thread, rummaged in oddments box = turned up 6x M5 csk screws WITH GRADE markings (not the wibblepoo csk screws in kit) ;)

Threadlock ordered, blue.

....... just edging along, no panics ......

Right ho.....

6hole 'hub disc' + csk cap screws created..... Chain drilled/hacksaw/file to scribed circled line [check]

Wiring sorted for horn 'peeper' [check]

Centre 8.8 bolt/washer set up for Mini wheel [check]

Battle commences 1st thing tomozz.

*two holes to drill, suitable for self cancelling turn switch mech ;)

YaYeeee

Pisser..... :(

..... turning right, I get the 'tikka>tikka>tikka' of duff turn bulb = fast flashing.

Parks up, jumps out and looks front & back.... Rear drivers 'orange dipped' bulb >> a haa... It IS flashing but weakly.

The access is by taking two screws out of the lamp cover (NOT rusty) and tipping it back/out. The internal lamp chassis is 'thumb press' clipped into the cover and has 4 bulbs.

Cruddy, bit of corrosion on bulb casing.

Scratched over the centre contact and sprayed silicone lube into the hole.... Reinstalled bulb.... Huzzah!!

The orange [through white lens cover] bulb $hit @MOT is likely going to have me buying a pair of fresh 'oranges' ;)

• 2 weeks later...

To go with my Oil Pressure Gauge, which is the mechanical type, I have popped £2.99 delivered for this....

51018421645_96dfbda4ee_c.jpg

1/8 BSPT ..... Screw into block/oil light sensor goes [as now] straight out of the block/oil gauge feed line 90°.

Oil Gauge

There is a mass of room in the immediate block location ;)

Woot Woot....

Gauge arrived ddbbll quick (Herpes, no less)

The bezel has been replaced... that is why you can only see half AC peeping out :(

...... Yes, of course....  So, off came the bezel.

You might tell in the photo that the needle paint is a bit 'flakey'?? Hmm....

51091283511_c0f1ee7b7d.jpg

A splodge of vivid yellow [only pot I have to hand] and we are ready to face the world (of Suzuki) once more ;)

Now contemplating the install & best 'line of sight'  >> 1st World Problems, eh!

*edit to add = £3, so not robbed!

Having given considerable thought to connection issues, use of a 'T junction' splitting the oil pressure feed/fatigue failure in brass fittings.....

..... I found a 'thinking outside of the box' [ #read=cheap ] variation on turbo mod forum >>> Use a good quality 1/8bsp end Grease Gun hose to remotely mount the Brass 'T' away from the factory oil pressure tapping, thus isolated from any block vibration ;).

These 'remote oil line relocator' jobbies are sold by GoFaster car sites.... £30!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Braided-Stainless-Remote-Oil-Pressure-Gauge-T-Piece-1-8-NPT-095-/283986515022?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286