A solution to urban blight - a car to match your house?

motorpunk

24 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Not sure when our house was built, best guess is early 70s so I'll have one of these ta

image.thumb.png.a171e17ed782ec32ba8ba0b2befdce49.png

Yeeeeeah, but.. would such a swanky car have lived outside your house at that time? I’m imagining fancy big place in the sticks or summat. I have no idea what your place is like, obvz.

Need to match the image/style/value of the car to the house too, if poss.

:)

3 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

Yeeeeeah, but.. would such a swanky car have lived outside your house at that time? I’m imagining fancy big place in the sticks or summat. I have no idea what your place is like, obvz.

Need to match the image/style/value of the car to the house too, if poss.

:)

Fair enough

Ford Cortina Mk3 1300 L 1973 | Ford classic cars, Classic cars, Ford

Ah, may have missed the memo about the keeping it realistic bit. 

Rather than a 71 Chevelle, I'll tone it down a bit. We live in a boxy detached place with a single garage down the side. Garage is tiny although there is evidence of drops of oil towards the back, as well as an old piece of carpet nailed to an inner pillar to protect the door edge when open. 

Regardless of all of that, I believe the original owner was a fella who was in the RAF. He'd have owned something near new and swanky at the time I'm sure. 

This Vauxhall VX 4/90 fits the bill perfectly. 

unnamed (3).jpg

House is a late-60s design tarted up a bit to be relevant for the early 70s, aimed at the freshly retired and elderly.  Modest garage and driveway.

f60c6456eed0f19d9b0851239b08bc03.jpg.f8c0c4e9d0344260b2e5e96f2ed7b0ad.jpg

Definitely have a matching caravan for those holidays to Clacton-on-Sea or wherever it is Kentish folk go.

1930's housing association bungalow, the estate was gifted by a landowner who had a large orchard on the side of a valley.  it wasn't a well-to-do area by any means, the homes were for older couples and occasional spinsters/bachelors.    The main local employers at the time were a paper mill and a bakery, so I will go with this:vintage-1930s-bakers-tradesmans-delivery-bicycle-with-wicker-basket-E95N52.thumb.jpg.48c3af85634088181194560146ad2e63.jpg

That said, the first owner was a carpenter, so if he was doing very well...  This.

images.jpg.93558d189eb852ae5336df5b0865c5e3.jpg

foIn 1970 my Grandparents bought a new house , they’d always lived over my Grandmas haberdashery shop in not vey posh part of Birmingham. The new house was almost in the countryside with a big front and side garden plus of course a black tarmac drive with white specs in front of a yellow garage doors,  where my Grandad parked his 1969 Triumph 1300 every night. The neighbours had a gold Humber Sceptre, these two houses just looked like something off the telly to me as kid.

My house was built in 1999, when we bought it, new, We had a 1998 Fiat Ulysee , 1989 Discovery and 1992 Sierra . But since 2007 we’ve had 1999 CLK amongst many other things.

My house was built around the time Queen Victoria died, and given the type it is, I don't imagine anyone round here would have had a car.  A man in his 60s like me, in less than perfect health, might have had a bike if he was lucky/posh.

In Cyprus I lived in two bungalows from the 70s/80s so my Capri, A40, Granada, X1/9 and Metro (5 of the cars I had over there) would all have been suitable.

my house was bought new in 67 by Grandad-

at the time there was a Hillman Minx parked in garage/on drive

followed by a H plate Austin 1300

Allegro 1500 super on R

Maestro 1600 HLS on Y

F plate Sunny 1.6 LS

J plate Concerto 1.6 16v

P- Primera 2.0 SE

'52- Primera 2.0 SVE

'07- Civic spaceship

'11- Jazz ES hybrid

Our estate was shoddily built in 1965/6. Before the Herald 13/60 and before the DS got its new nose. So those two don’t fit the bill. There wouldn’t have been any old Traction Avants or yank tanks making the place look untidy. 

I imagine this place was awash with Rover and Triumph 2000s, Singer Gazelles and Morris 1100s, and a few Jags. The avant garde would have had a Fiat 124 or a Mini as a second car.

Rover 2000TC for me - but we’d probably have had an Austin 12 or a prewar Delahaye dripping oil until we were told that it didn’t comply with some covenant. 

7 hours ago, motorpunk said:

New neighbours in my street. I'm sure they're a lovely. But they own an Audi Q7 and a Range Rover which fill the little street and look totally out of place.

I imagine you had a simmlar stance to our old neigbours - 19th century cottage with on street parking - sure they loved* my TT 

Screenshot_20191221_182021.thumb.jpg.ddbf32c1d4355a784a3a0f4ac5444209.jpg

8 hours ago, paulplom said:

The flat I rent from the council,  '60's has only on street parking. The house gf has, 1800's, has no off street parking. The flat my mother rents  off us, 70's has no off street parking but does have a garage in a block. I also have a garage in a block but 15 miles away. What ever your rule is, I'm fucked every way

How old is your garage? If it’s 1990 then you have the perfect car for it. 😉