A solution to urban blight - a car to match your house?

motorpunk

New neighbours in my street. I'm sure they're a lovely. But they own an Audi Q7 and a Range Rover which fill the little street and look totally out of place. These sort of cars are an urban blight. The house was built in the early '50s with a little garage and hardly any parking. It would have been a one car household, if that. I am sure it's the same across the country, and don't even get me started on new building housing estate parking hell. Urgh. 

Japan has laws meaning you can only own a car if you have parking for it. I propose we have the same in the UK whereby you may only own a car that is from the year your house was made, and it has to be in keeping. We shall call it MotorPunk's law.  

My house was made in 1954, and was built as a 3 bed semi with a little garage (changed now, but that's another story). It's in the East Midlands and while we're not loaded, it's respectable, I suppose.  It was first owned by a schoolteacher who enjoyed the garden. So I thought about the demographics and picked a car from 1954 and matched it to my house. It's a Hillman Husky (Minx based). It would look so right outside. I now want one and will encourage my SUV loving neighbour to do the same and get an Austin Cambridge, or similar.

I'm rambling a bit...

Pick a car to match your house. If it's pre-1898, log in at Equineshite.net.org.uk 

The flat I rent from the council,  '60's has only on street parking. The house gf has, 1800's, has no off street parking. The flat my mother rents  off us, 70's has no off street parking but does have a garage in a block. I also have a garage in a block but 15 miles away. What ever your rule is, I'm fucked every way

7 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

1992 Reliant Robin outside 1880 house. Terrible, I might as well hang up my driving gloves as I’ve completely ruined the look of this lovely house through having a silly plastic car outside.

DISGUSTING MODERN PLASTIC CARS shouldn't be allowed anywhere, particularly not 1880 or 1930s houses

13245445_10209182821988150_3728394839181941098_n.thumb.jpg.5ce8919a4869104398388224768ed1af.jpg

What better for a family man in the late 1980s than the 1989 European Car of the Year runner up - The Opel Vectra A - Or Mk3 Cavalier as we knew them. Mine would be a saloon with the 1.8 SPI engine, heralding a new age of fuel injection.

My wife would have the overall winner of 1989 ECOTY, the Fiat Tipo. A 1.4 for cheaper tax which would be very handy when I lost my job in 1992 and had to go on the dole and our mortgage payment went through the roof. This would leave me a hollow husk of a man for the rest of my days, my wife would leave me for a double glazing salesman and the kids would hate me forever for being an abject failure.

1954, extended twice, in '57 and '63. House was built by the previous owners, who were the village doctor and his wife. Still alive in the village too!

I'd say a Vauxhall Velox would suit the driveway well. Failing that, an Austin Cambridge would look the part too.

33 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

I propose we have the same in the UK whereby you may only own a car that is from the year your house was made, and it has to be in keeping. We shall call it MotorPunk's law.  

Problem here is that this law would adversely affect people like me. I take great pleasure in quite clearly older crayoned vehicles that look like they're ready for the scrapyard. What's that Mrs.Bucket? Bouquet is it? Well I'm sorry if your fancy friends in their PCP cars are coming over to see you and your PCP'ed car, but you can't say shit to me about my vehicles when the bank owns yours.

That said, the house was built in 1937, so I would need a bank loan to purchase an age appropriate vehicle. 

I would need to move as my house was built in the 18th century ☹️
My ideal house would be from the 1960’s or 70’s but my ideal car is a 1982 Cortina. House design was in serious decline by the 1980’s. I like 60’s and 70’s design a lot but also appreciate 30’s art deco.

My house is ok but not ideal, it does however have garage space for 20+ cars and a drive that could accommodate 15+, this is not easy to find in my budget. For these reasons as much as I like your idea, I ‘m out!

Don ‘t get me started on those who convert their garages and park on the street!

Below is what I would really like, but only garaging for 2 cars! and it is way out of budget.

image.jpeg.54cbf153c5c7baf5ceb7090eff3698b4.jpeg

My place was built in 1939, but not as a house. It was a mother and child welfare clinic (sorry dads you're on your own) there is off road parking, so in those pre national health service days it is conceivable that the senior doctor may have had a car, I will pick a nice new Rover, although in reality more likely to have been an older Austin or Morris.

grrov-001_2359.jpg

I did have this parked up there for a while, ten years too new though

IMG_20161004_122359545.jpg

I have a 1970 built two-bed terraced house with  a small 1 car driveway (glorified parking space). The recently departed e46 touring physically fitted quite well (the e61 not so much) so I’ll have one of these.

Same length as an e46 touring so perfect  size for the drive and launched in 1970.

B87BF16C-60A7-49D5-B37F-CF33DDB453F0.jpeg