School night collection.

Cavcraft

Went to view this Sunday, knew I'd buy it before I even got there, tbh. Anyhow, he had to go back to London in it Sunday night and returned today, so I collected it this evening.

IMG_20201006_192928.thumb.jpg.456504f593c2e4fffccb608a8cb88557.jpg

It's motoring alongness is propelled by this facilty...

IMG_20201006_195717.thumb.jpg.805a42b2ab4db5185585f82b89933501.jpg

...which appears to be 5.0.

Swish as you like inside, with a dog approval rating of 15/10...

IMG_20201006_193034.thumb.jpg.e160d674c98c33bba5a711c8d0684e71.jpg

IMG_20201006_195339.thumb.jpg.9b74db9f5754000d4c8c8230401fa01f.jpg

Obvs like it's not perfect, various lights don't work, the right hand indictator flashed too fast then didn't, the rear vanity light/mirror thing is held up with parcel tape, it will need pads soon, body work standard affair (one arch is shit, for example) some other things will need looking at and the promised service history is 'going to be emailed over by Mercedes'.  

It was (relatively) cheap though and sometimes you have to scratch that itch.

2 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

65k (allegedly) and £1,350. Short MOT,  no sign of the history and has one or two* issues.

Not bad at all. I presume the lack of history had a lot to do with it, but a S500 for £1350 - very nice. I have spotted a S320 (I know!), but it has 61K with supposed full history, garaged from new and a set of factory fitted 18" AMG mono blocks for £2K ono. Sorely tempted if only so I can call it the S'Express. Nothing like showing your age with crap, convoluted references to 1980s music.

44 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

As a Merc licker, I’m slightly ashamed that I haven’t actually owned an S Class since aW108 300SEL and W116 350SE more than 20 years ago. My problem is I don’t like them until I can’t afford them. 

I had that problem with the W140. Busting to own one, but the S500 seems to be £8-10K for a decent one unless you are very lucky. A S280 W140 has cropped up locally at £3550 and looks mint. Supposedly they are just a bit too underpowered for the bulk though and that is bound to spoil the fun.

Anyway, you know the solution to your problem. Go and buy the ones you don't like now!

37 minutes ago, The_Equalizer said:

I had that problem with the W140. Busting to own one, but the S500 seems to be £8-10K for a decent one unless you are very lucky. A S280 W140 has cropped up locally at £3550 and looks mint. Supposedly they are just a bit too underpowered for the bulk though and that is bound to spoil the fun.

Anyway, you know the solution to your problem. Go and buy the ones you don't like now!

I’ve not driven an S280, but did drive a very early 300SEL  for 6 months in early 1992. It wasn’t fast, but it replaced an LS400 and I’d usually just stepped out of a 4.0 manual XJ6 whenever I drove it . It was perfect cruising on the motorway, but you had to be very careful when planning an overtake on single carriageway roads, my boss, the Chairman offloaded it to a new MD and got a Range Rover as he didn’t like driving it himself at weekends.

Henri Paul managed to get some speed up in his S280...

56 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I’ve not driven an S280, but did drive a very early 300SEL  for 6 months in early 1992. It wasn’t fast, but it replaced an LS400 and I’d usually just stepped out of a 4.0 manual XJ6 whenever I drove it . It was perfect cruising on the motorway, but you had to be very careful when planning an overtake on single carriageway roads, my boss, the Chairman offloaded it to a new MD and got a Range Rover as he didn’t like driving it himself at weekends.

Henri Paul managed to get some speed up in his S280...

My Dad bought the company MD's W126 420SEL at about 4-years-old for my Mum. For reasons still unknown, in its rear window there was a sign that read Thank You which was illuminated via a switch on the centre console. It might have been at the MD's chauffeur's request. I was in my early 20s and was sometimes allowed to borrow the Merc. Being of that age, and in what was a relatively powerful car for the time, I would occasionally indulge boy racers in drag races off the lights. If I did manage to get in front I would pop on the sign just for extra annoyance. Very childish I know.

40 minutes ago, The_Equalizer said:

My Dad bought the company MD's W126 420SEL at about 4-years-old for my Mum. For reasons still unknown, in its rear window there was a sign that read Thank You which was illuminated via a switch on the centre console. It might have been at the MD's chauffeur's request. I was in my early 20s and was sometimes allowed to borrow the Merc. Being of that age, and in what was a relatively powerful car for the time, I would occasionally indulge boy racers in drag races off the lights. If I did manage to get in front I would pop on the sign just for extra annoyance. Very childish I know.

I used to love the way W126’s even 6 cylinder ones used to squat down and the star on the bonnet lifted in the air when accelerating hard. Felt and sounded faster than they were, I’d have loved to try a 560.