How many cars do you own?

HMC

22 hours ago, brownnova said:

Mine saw a Skoda Estelle for sale today and tagged me in it on Facebook suggesting we get it... is she broken? 

Terminally!  But in the spirit of Autoshite, I suggest keeping her going as long as you can rather than simply trading in for a new model.  We all know that's not good for the planet!

Three is plenty enough what with space and cost... 

Mondeo - daily driver/motorway runner, excellent on fuel, masses of space and luxury and almost all of the extensive toys work (heated seats a massive boon). 

Capri - Country Lane, weekend and summer fun. Will need some welding in the next couple of years.  The only ULEZ compliant member of the fleet. Still gets used during winter - I've actually found that the less the car is used the more temperamental it becomes. 

Bluebird - behaves fine and I use it for short local trips often, I'm not keen on using it day to day as the fuel economy is crap. However, very reliable and a good backup meaning I don't have to stress or rush jobs on the Mondeo. 

2 hours ago, Dan_ZTT said:

You guys with 5, 10 cars plus, do you have massive driveway space or are half of them kept in storage away from home or something? 

I’ve got a unit on a farm, plus a driveway that could take seven at a push. Only three are ones I would not sell, so trading a few pays for the storage / workshop. 

Five, which is probably one too many for me.

-Metro.  SORN.

-Morris 1300.  On the road technically, although there's always something to fix.  Rear brakes this week.

-Xantia.  On the road, issues stacking up but running.

-Rover 820.  On the road, sharing duties with the Xantia.

-Cavalier.  SORNd for the first time in 5.5 years, as the MoT is due soon and I CBA dealing with it.  Sat on my parent's drive as I've nowhere else to keep it.

Interesting* fact is the majority of my fleet are suspended by unconvential means.  Not sure that's ever happened before.

Currently 2

87' Reliant Rialto

08' Suzuki Grand Vitara

Both of them are taxed, insured but neither have a test. The Rialto is exempt though so doesn't count

Most I ever owned at one time was 3. That was

a 98' Subaru Legacy GL ( or whatever the base spec was, I can't remember)
a 90' Suzuki Samurai Van and a 98' Lada Niva

I've only owned 10 cars in total since I started driving and two motorbikes so I'm only a novice at this really

Edit: actually it was 4 at one time, I forgot about the Nissan Urvan

Currently 3 of mine, all running and road legal.

2012 seat leon 1.6td dsg. Owned now for two years, the longest I have ever owned a car. Doesn't get used much. It was bought as a damaged repaired and is utterly immaculate. I am considering selling this.

2010 toyota hilux invincible 3.0 td auto. Owned now for about 5 months. Bought as a damaged repairable, the only damage was a burst brake pipe, a split front bumper and scratches along drivers side. Brakes fixed, bumper joined with cable ties and running as it is.

2005 forum bike vw bora highline 1.9td. The daily hack for work (me) and commuting (son) brilliant car, racking up miles fast, about 400 miles or so a week. Both me and son love it, and it's the reason the Seat Leon sits unused most of the time.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Oh dear. Fifteen.

1990 405 GRD Turbo Estate

1996 205 Inca D shared with @loserone

1979 Dyane 6

1992 205 Mardi Gras TD

2004 307SW 2.0 110Hdi
2010 Fiat 500

2x 2005 XC90 (one manual, one auto)

2006 107

1999 306 GLX HDI

Partner’s 206CC

(Peugeot) Partner 1.6HDI

2002 Jag S type 3.0

2000 Murvi Morello (Ducato 2.8idtd) campervan

2002 Ford Ranger 

2004 206 SW 2.0HDI

Up to 8 used regularly. Offloading several imminently in pursuit of happiness and a happy and peaceful life

I'm down to four at the moment. 

A 2014 Ford Grand Cmax 1.6TDCi Titanium, I've owned this for 3 years now and I've been wanting to sell it for the last 3 years... The kids are doing a good job of wrecking it for me though. 

A 2008 Skoda Fabia 1.9TDi Sport, I've had this 2 years now and it's probably been the best car I've owned, it does nothing exceptional well but everything you want from a car, it's currently my messroom for 3 hours a day/night at work 😭

My 1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint, the less said about that and its problems the better at the moment, the gearbox is about to come out again for the second time in as many months and the sill is being welded back on again. 

And a 1962 Vauxhall Victor FB which technically I bought for my wife, I've been doing little jobs on that and it's actually looking pretty smart now, I do need to replace the pinion seal and investigate a flat spot. 

Our household is at seven just now, Two are legal, two could be made legal, two are in bits and one is away being fettled.

I had thirteen around a year ago, twelve at the back of the house and one out on the street. I do have a history of amassing cars and then getting rid again however having thirteen was stressing me out no end. Seven is still about three too many though so I’ll have to sort that out.

Hmm

An F15 X5 M50d

3 x Z4 3.0's (one supercharged) two of which will be for sale shortly (incl the s/c one) 

My near 1/4 million mile Scudo 

GSX-S1000F (technically a bike, but it has wheels and an engine!) 

1 x 206sw

1 x 207 hatch

Worlds cheapest Spaceship Civic (sold at weekend) 

Nearly forgot my 1979 series III landy, currently sporting a poor "A Team"  paint scheme and languishing in the corner of my neighbours unit in Liverpool

And just bought the infamous Clio 138 from @Jamiechod.. 

Currently looking for a nice Alfa Brera/Spyder 3.2 or 2.4jtdm as I really don't wanna pay £600 a year tax! 

That makes erm, 10.. All taxed and tested along with a large chunk of money disappearing from my bank account on the 01st every month courtesy of the DVLA 🙄

Oh, and I'm the only driver in a household of 7...

Mike

Haha since the beginning of lockdown I've had ownership crises, and at the same time harboured desire for more cars!

We are on 4,

'04 E46 estate, 2.5 petrol

'10 Seat Ibiza - wife's

'82 Porsche 924, currently SORN but otherwise legal, could be taxed any time. 

'06 Ford Mondeo 2.0 petrol, for sale here.

I’ve had 4 for a while but wanted to get it down to 3 because that’s what I can comfortably store and what I can kind of justify in terms of being useful. If it had got down to three over the past few years it kept on going back up because I would see something else that was too good to miss. Eventually I realised that I needed to get rid of the one car that was garaged, not used in winter, and was of sentimental value but really just taking up space and not getting used. So the immaculate mk1 mx5 was sold after ten years (the first car I bought) and the stress levels plummeted. Down to 3 now and I’m loving it. 

2007 smart car  (sensible, reliable modern, cheap tax)

1996 t4 van (work, holidays, carrying bikes around, being useful)

1993 Peugeot 205 d (daily driver and fun car combined)

I've got 5 at the moment.

1976 Lada 2101 - currently in the garage having a half arsed restoration, with the added complexity of a K-Series and Mazda MX5 gearbox while keeping it within the rules of the DVLA classic car status.

1995 Toyota RAV4 GX - currently the daily driver, although I'm starting to think twice about keeping it beyond christmas. The wife though likes it, so she doesn't want me to get rid of it.

1998 Toyota Corolla - currently sat on my mom's driveway and for sale on here. Although this will probably end up with the wife's grandad to use and abuse as he's losing his mobility car

2001 Rover 25 - dressed up as an MG ZR. Log book says 1.4 but it has a 1.6 K-Series in it, which has been bastardised. Cams, at the very least, aren't standard. Donor car to the Lada.

2010 Peugeot 107 - currently the daily for my wife and the back up for me when my daily is off the road.

Out of all of them, I'll never get rid of the 107 and Lada. The Rover's waiting for the scrapyard, and the 2 Toyota's are great and reliable, but would probably be the ones to go first if I had to get rid ofthem.

Three - which is one too many. 

9-5 - Tested til August 21, just insured last week. Hope to keep it going til then as the main steer.

Jeep -  Tested til June 21, taxed too. Drive it on rotation with Saab. Would like to do some sort of undersealing as it's really very solid for one of them and would like to keep it so. 

405 - SORN'd, MOT'd but on a Boris test. Drives alright but needs a bit of attention. Sticky front calliper. 

I have however seen something rough as arses, far away and absolutely unnecessary which is turning my head big style. 

2000 Corsa B

2007 Mini Cooper

2000 Audi 80 Cabriolet

2004 Rover 75

All are fully roadworthy, MOT'd and none have any non-driving or otherwise significant issues. No garden ornaments.

The Corsa is SORN for the winter.

Audi needs a OSF Damper (have a complete strut but not the time to fit)

Mini smokes due to valve stems but that's being ignored and oil kept topped up.

Rover going well, NSR caliper being monitored however.

Currently 3.5 for me

1976 Capri 3000S - owned over 8 yrs now - sitting in my garage since May

1987 Manta GSi - owned 6 years and my daily. Awaiting a new temp sensor

1966 Austin Cooper - used on weekend

1985 Porsche 944 - 50% ownership. Been mothballed since COVID - hopefully being treated to new belts and service in the near future

Too many.

I've been working through sorting that by either selling or scrapping stuff though, as I simply can't justify it anymore in my current situation.

I currently own.

2000 Beetle 2.0 Petrol, it's not moved in nearly 3 years, I bought it for my wife who was going to learn to drive and never did. It's sat on her Dads drive and really needs moving and sorting.

1984 VW Caravelle, Purchased in 2008, ran it for ages, too many memories to part with it.. needs a full restoration and is currently in the queue.

1972 beetle; there's a thread in here for that somewhere.  I'm doing a full nut and bolt restoration and a couple of upgrades, I plan to use it lots when it's done.

1975 1303, modified, heavily.. Subaru WRX turbo engine, doesn't run, wasn't converted very well, needs sorting.. it's queued after the Caravelle.

2002 VW Transporter LWB 88BHP.  About to have a load of welding done for another MOT.

2005 Ford Mondeo ST 2.2 TDCI.  My daily driver, really all the car I need, but as you may be able to tell, I'm a VW nut, so it's just there while I sort the others out.

Long term ambition is to keep using the Mondeo, until the Caravelle is done and then use that daily.  Keep the Transporter for autojumbles, shows and stuff, it's great for shifting stuff and getting me some beer money.

Finish the beetle restoration and use it, give that to Sarah as her "nice" car if she ever does manage to pass her driving test.  Let her have the 2.0 one as a daily and dip into it when I just need a small car.

Finish the 1303 and use it as a race/toy car.

The issue is, every time I make headway, something comes up on the daily.. it ends up removing the funds I need for the other stuff, but I need a car, and fixing it is cheaper/easier and less grief than buying something else.