How many cars do you own?

HMC

Six on the road at present, plus one Camry spares car, all as per sig below.

Five on the road had been my limit, one for each working day of the week, but when the chap rang me about the LS400 I couldn't resist with what he wanted for it.

Extended MoT is due soon on the Sunny, was contemplating not bothering but it'll be easier to get it through now than after sitting over winter.

Only 2 here, have had 3 at times but that's my limit with a 2-car driveway and not loads of road space. 

You guys with 5, 10 cars plus, do you have massive driveway space or are half of them kept in storage away from home or something? 

I'm always tempted to have another cheap car or two but I think it'd feel like a waste if I had to pay to keep it somewhere else, and I know I'd end up never actually using it. 

Seven, with an eighth due to join the fleet at an as yet unagreed point in time. Five road legal, though two are on Covid MOTs and one on exception.

To be honest, I'm definitely feeling the strain at this point, and it's notable that two cars are just being entirely ignored at the moment, and I'm still struggling to keep up.

12 minutes ago, Dan_ZTT said:

Only 2 here, have had 3 at times but that's my limit with a 2-car driveway and not loads of road space. 

You guys with 5, 10 cars plus, do you have massive driveway space or are half of them kept in storage away from home or something? 

I'm always tempted to have another cheap car or two but I think it'd feel like a waste if I had to pay to keep it somewhere else, and I know I'd end up never actually using it. 

I currently have some in rented council garages, two at my parents house and some outside. The main criteria when buying my current house as with any house purchase was available parking space and potential garage space. My main garage is nearly finished, I have fitted four double doors over the last few weekends, just one single and one double to fit,  then get the floors poured and I will then get all the cars home and stop wasting money on rent. The modern cars will always live outside but the proper cars should mostly be in warm, dry garages soon if all goes to plan.

3 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

it's notable that two cars are just being entirely ignored at the moment

I do always enjoy that moment of “re-discovery”, it’s like buying the car all over again, but getting it for free. 

I always had a dream fleet in mind that would be two identical Minis (or Granadas, jury’s out) with sequential number plates, restoring one while running the other into the ground then swapping roles. 
In reality I have five pieces of random babbling shite that are all degenerating along with a sad realisation that the dream is unlikely to be achieved... I’m managing to keep four on the road though which is an adequate distraction. 

I got up to six cars which was 2 more than I wanted then bought the camper.  My girlfriend has her own car (and a spare parking space I might put one of mine in).  I only really have 2 parking spots so 5 or 6 spend their time on the waste ground around the back.  I'm hoping to build a garage to put the Dacia in (but thats been the plan for 4 years).

Working and legal?  Technically none as the power steering is still being a twat on the 405 and the bonnet is jammed shut on the Focus and the washer fluid just ran out.

I do less than 5k miles a year so I think having 7 cars is sensible.

Toyota IQ2 - daily, £0 tax, knackered clutch but quite good fun

Peugeot 205 1.1, dragged out of a garage after 16 years,  occasional daily

e34 540i Touring 6 speed manual. In Ireland at the moment, should really get round to getting it back.

TVR Cerbera with LS3 engine. Bonkers car, just bonkers.

Ford Puma, only done 40k miles, gets neglected for months on end then I drive it and remember how good it is. It even has solid arches and sills.

Saab 96, soon to be gone

Caterham, shared ownership for fun on track.

I love buying, hate selling. Love trying different cars and going through their histories, hate trying to keep on top of maintenance and tax. I briefly reduced the fleet to 3 earlier in the summer but have had the buying fever ever since and it’s showing no signs of abating. Oh well.

3 cars;

73 Mercury Marquis - legal, runs, drives, on the button! Been a bit neglected lately!

74 Ford Capri - technically legal, but still being rebuilt. Very close to being finished. Runs and drivable but needs finishing.

88 Volvo 740 - legal, runs, drives. Waiting for less shit weather to replace rusty front pipe! But still useable now.

1 van;

84 Ford Transit - On SORN, no MOT. Runs and drives but off road for winter. Probably will sell this one in spring, it’s not getting much use and I find 4 oldies a bit much tbh.

Plus, a company van which provides free transport and free fuel!

I have 3, currently have the time/space/money for zero. Realistically, the Beetle is never going to be finished and the MX5, despite extensive welding, is likely to disintegrate within the next few years. Giving serious thought to clearing out my shite and just running my modern daily. And yet, also giving thought to buying a fourth car. I make no sense, not even to myself...

My Connect van, her Suzuki GV. The Tax and insurance have expired on the van and I C.B.A. to renew them. I suppose I'd better get around to SORN it.

Since the Insight went, I have been looking for the next car, but only half-heartedly really, it has been good to just have the two motors to look after.  I would like to trim further, to just one vehicle, but the only single vehicle that ticks all the boxes is one of those four-door pickup truck things. I think we'd rather walk.

I am on 4 cars  and a small broken motorbike (technically 3.5 as the fourth is part shared with my better half).

Daily drivers   - 1998 Subaru Forester (as of today off road with a binding brake caliper) & Range Rover DSE (p38) 

Runs but has issues - Reliant Scimitar  SE6A  road legal but axle whines like a whiney thing and when warm the engine oil pressure is too low for comfort.

Shared car MGBGT -project, needs lots of welding etc etc,

Bike  - Yamaha YBR 125 - broken wheel bearing, broken starter, not sure I am really a biker! 

That's enough for now.....

Its never enough! 

Sadly, only the two at the moment and this is the working one...

IMG_20190421_133702.thumb.jpg.7d3ffd6bdee4c98d31797f58235bd947.jpg

(£30 a year tax though, and if any of these survive, they'll probably be causing some excitement on the eBay thread in 30 years time like Nova SRs do now...🤣)

153363344_2019-01-2715_10_56.thumb.jpg.eb836d75a726eb1b881dc6b54c152d76.jpg

This poor thing isnt working at the moment, if the underside hasn't turned to cornflakes, it should be getting resurrected in the new year. The Mk1 vRS is getting a bit of a following now (first Skoda hot hatch M8) and more and more are starting to get scrapped, so they're becoming a rare sight. I've had it 5 years now, way more than I've owned any other car.

Currently on 6 which is edging up towards too much hassle, especially as I hardly drive anywhere these days.

Cortina- currently in Ireland

Sierra - running but a work in progress 

VW van - holidays, mountain bikes and moving stuff

Mx5 - fun

VW Passat - reliable commuter

BMW i3 - wife's

I'm fortunate to have a large drive and a double garage. All my moderns are also pretty reliable luckily.

Still interested in other shite but need to finish my current projects really.

Elise is weekend & holiday transport.  Owned 16 years now.  Usually taxed 9 months of the year.

Scirocco is a the April to September daily.  Owned 21 years which makes me feel ancient.  Best £280 I ever spent.  

190 is the October to March daily.  Owned 3 years.  5 pot diesel, sounds nice, goes slowly.

I have had as many as 5 in days gone by but it was too much to cope with time wise and financially.  I’d like to get down to two if possible!

7F4A2143-8DD4-473C-8016-4F938E1D58F7.jpeg

2355F2B9-F957-491F-8FDA-0AE373E6E5F9.png

21EC968A-95E1-4473-A318-38DD82663D81.jpeg

On 10/6/2020 at 7:49 PM, tul66 said:

If you ask my wife, too many...........................

They all say that!

My signature says 3, but it doesn't reflect the strict truth.  Strict Truth is actually one (but I'm not saying which!).  I find even 3 is reaching the brink of manageableness these days, and may have to downsize to two soon.  It'll be a sad, reluctant event!  In the surprisingly recent past my fleet has been up to four or five on occasion, but rarely all "on the road."

We’re back down to 10 after selling JamieChod the Clio at the weekend... 

Road “legal”: 7

Roadworthy: 5    

(Technically that’s 7 of mine, 2 of Mrs brownnova’s and one of my father in laws, but as that has been on my drive for 9 months and he’s left me the log book and told me to do whatever I want with it I’ll count it in.)

The Nova and the Yugo definitely not for the road yet, the Mazda and 206 are broken and undriveable and the Green 2CV does need some significant work... but could still be called upon, in fact I might give it a run this weekend. 

The 206 needs to go too, and I think I’d be happy at 8. So the 900 will probably go once I have one of the projects back on the road to act as back up for commuting, or I might ditch the borked Mazda instead or as well... we’ll see.

But I have no doubt I’ll be back at double figures before long. The main problem I have now is that I have too many keepers: the 9000, 2CVs, Yugo and Nova will go nowhere, not probably will the camper.

I’m lucky though, I have a big drive. 

Just the two at present, both of which are on Boris MOTs and running well - as expected, since they're both Japanese tin from the early 2000s. Plus a 1980s scooter buried in the shed that hasn't run since the 1990s...

Actually the fewest cars I've had for a while; three was the norm, sometimes four and once as many as five, but in all honesty these days I'm old and boring and find myself getting stressed out way too much by never-finished projects...