Any love for Vauxhall Royales on here?

Spiny Norman

Hope so, because I've just bought one! :D

Allegedly in lovely nick, crusty wings & front valance notwithstanding, and with a ton of history from day one.

Posted Image

Velour-tastic! :D

Posted Image

I had one years ago when they were just another cheapo 10 year old executive barge nobody wanted and I thoroughly enjoyed its waftiness and interior ambience, so when I spotted this beaut on the Bay of E I couldn't resist a cheeky bid.

I'm picking it up tomorrow, just a short burst across the M8 from Edinburgh to Glasgow so I reckon £20 in petrol should do it! :lol:

My main concern is getting bits for it. I've got a Volvo Amazon which is an absolute doddle for just about every part under the sun, but somehow I'm getting the niggling feeling that this might cause me grief. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions where to try? I'm guessing Vauxhall dealers won't want to know and there seems precious little on Ebay for them. Is Autobahnstormers still on the go? I've had a look at their website, but it doesn't look like it's been updated for a good while.

Lovely purchase - I have a Corgi model of the equivalent Opel Senator.I'll look out for it as I work in Dalry Road in an office and I have a window seat!There are many Vauxhall websites that will be able to point you in the right direction, but I also believe that there are a few GM entuusiasts on here who can help.

Cheers for the comments guys. :D The plan is that so long as I can keep it running OK I'll be using it as a daily driver, although a tinge of guilt creeps in because these things are meant to be mega-rare now. I'm sure I saw in Practical Classics a while back they said there were only about 40-odd left! :shock:

Nice buy. That interior is stunning. 8) Re the rarity thing - don't feel too guilty. There's supposedly only 15 Talbot Alpines left on the road but I've been using mine as a daily for the last few weeks. Admittedly that's probably going to stop now they've started salting the roads - the rear arches are starting to get a little crusty as it is. I think Autobahnstormers is still going in one form or another - a decent contigent of them seems to turn up to the RAF Marham track days.

There's supposedly only 15 Talbot Alpines left on the road

makes you think that.I remember a mate of mine having one about 10 years ago, but must admit thats probably the last one I saw on the roads.
Really? That's scary. My dad had one - a 1.3 LS in dark frog green with a black vinyl roof - reg was KAK 513W (obvious connotations there) - dad paid little money for it from ECA in Norwich one evening in December 1989. Party pieces were that there was no carpet for some reason so dad being dad made one out of a household carpet offcut - light green swirly stuff to match the car (wrong shade of green, dad) and also whenever it was driven in rain, hitting a puddle would cause the electrics to dim badly then come back again. Will always remember the smell of this car as it smelled like an accident at the Glade factory.

what engines in it?

It's got the 2,800cc straight 6 that started life in the old Opel Commodore. (Remember them? Luvverly old cars!) Royale spec means a frightening old Solex 4 barrel carb complete with autochoke which makes 20mpg cause for a party! Think it's about 140bhp but it's a torquey old lump if I remember right.

I don't feel that guilty about driving it regularly, after all it's not a Bugatti Royale, and if a car doesn't regularly get driven horrible things start going wrong with them.

I'm off to bed now. Train to Edinburgh to catch tomorrow morning! :wink:

As I may or may not have mentioned about 100 times these are one of my all-time favourites, and I too was drooling over this one on ebay, I'm really glad it's ended up with someone on here. I fantasise about owning a matching pair of saloon and coupe versions some day....Reckon you're gonna want to a sort that front wing out ASAP, it looked very crusty in the pics iirc. Good luck, and keep us updated on the progress!

Absolutely lovely and the interior is pure class.I'd imagine parts are a bit scarce to be honest so you might need to be creative with wings etc.Occasionally whole cars pop up on eBay and what have you and also imagine a banger racing forum might throw up parts if you're lucky.

I've had a Monza, and, apparently, the Holy Grail of Royales, a convertable. This was a factory approved job as well, done by a company in Germany [similar to Bauer]. Apparently they did 4 Monzas, and 2 Royales. Watch the front chassis legs, and turrets! There not quick, but comfy old barges, word of warning, use 20/50 oil, modern stuff causes the oil pressure gauge to drop to zero!

It was Danny Hopkins who ran this car for Prac Classics, not Matt Wright. I reckon it was fairly well-featured during 2001-2002 in the mag. I'm pretty sure he had another one as well that was more rusty and knackered first, then got this from the original owner.Nice old buses, these - I liked my 2.5E Senator. Juicy on fuel though despite the manual box, I used to get about 22mpg out of it driving gently...