Boris the '59 Minor.

Joey spud

7 minutes ago, Tickman said:

@SiC unfortunately the cheap price of Minor spares does go hand in hand with the quality of them.

ESM are one of the better suppliers and stopped stocking things as they were not fit for purpose.

I think that's the case with most of British classic spares for a long while unfortunately. I have the same problem with the MGB where parts are even cheaper but heavily vary in quality. All varied prices depending on the rarity of the car/commonality of the part but all a bit shite quality. Have been reading that many other marques quality have been dropping too, including those that are supported by their manufacturers (like VW air cooled, etc). 

Even though it's not the attitude to have but I'd rather have cheap spares than none at all or hard to get hold of. However I'd prefer expensive spares that were of good quality. As we know, most don't though and prefer to buy solely on price. 

All my panels have come from Andy Eggleton down Bristol way and in the Moggy bothering world they are regarded as better than most.

I don't doubt for a minute that there will the need for the odd adjustment and much cussing to get them to fit how i want but its got to be the preferable route to go down.  

I don't have the tools or skill to make my own.

FB_IMG_1607372277848.thumb.jpg.0d709155fc1592f37eb0cdafabc6739c.jpg

FB_IMG_1607372247799.thumb.jpg.c53784b32984db74a2e055126a70bab4.jpg

I have been collecting images of how it all goes together (as it's nothing like a more modern vehicles sill structure) and these panels seem to do the job just fine.

Boris originally had traficators from new but has since been fitted with the later bulky front indicator/side light lamps that i think are ugly.

I want to refit the early small pre '61 front marker lamps he would of had and use these as indicator lamps instead the trouble is these lucas lamps were also used on Astons,Jaguars,MG's etc so are now hard to find used and new ones are £72 a pair which is way too salty for me.

Instead i thought about series 3 Land Rover items and bought some off Ebay.

20201227_113534.thumb.jpg.e9ada20949af7efbae267d0a764a5e80.jpg

I understand that they were only £9.25 a pair including delivery but they are utter rubbish (britpart/made in India).

The screws that retain the lens wont tighten or undo they just spin and the rubber body is poorly finished and will never keep water out of the lamp.

So as Mr Wobbler said and i totally agree i didn't want to pay the price of the expensive lucas repro jobbies and now have sub standard parts that weren't my first choice that will need to be fettled (bodged) to make good.

56 minutes ago, Joey spud said:

I want to refit the early small pre '61 front marker lamps he would of had and use these an indicator lamp instead the trouble is these lucas lamps were also used on Astons,Jaguars,MG's etc so are now hard to find used and new ones are £72 a pair which is way too salty for me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/162168192627?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=162168192627&targetid=1000498973969&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=1007333&poi=&campaignid=10199635126&mkgroupid=107296313732&rlsatarget=aud-629407026905:pla-1000498973969&abcId=1145987&merchantid=7291614&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_qD_BRDiARIsANjZ2LAi34Exh6sWLK3Fq7HIdZBsPK2rTK_Kknr86P98zqP_pNy2U-ZIREMaAtxSEALw_wcB

These?

The rear indicators need some thought too it looked like this which is what they did back in the day but its like an orange tit.

20201004_130036.thumb.jpg.620500da7d560ac123448d06d3ed1536.jpg

I am keeping the early rear light and have been thinking of squeezing another bulb in it as i'm sure you can have red rear indicators on a pre '65 car but i guess it would attract attn.

Otherwise i have seen these rubber plinths that would set a lamp at a more pleasing angle but they're £12 each for a bit of rubber.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/electrical-c54/rear-lights-saloon-c62/pair-of-rubber-mounting-plinth-for-additional-rear-indicators-takes-lmp101-lmp725-with-screws-p1238276

The plinth and one of these lamps (less titty shaped) in orange (or red) would look ok in my eyes.

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/electrical-c54/front-sidelight-flasher-c57/flasher-indicator-light-complete-flat-amber-lens-l488-type-p829763

3 hours ago, SiC said:

I think that's the case with most of British classic spares for a long while unfortunately. I have the same problem with the MGB where parts are even cheaper but heavily vary in quality. All varied prices depending on the rarity of the car/commonality of the part but all a bit shite quality. Have been reading that many other marques quality have been dropping too, including those that are supported by their manufacturers (like VW air cooled, etc). 

Even though it's not the attitude to have but I'd rather have cheap spares than none at all or hard to get hold of. However I'd prefer expensive spares that were of good quality. As we know, most don't though and prefer to buy solely on price. 

The price/quality thing has been going on for years. Brazilian made bits for aircooled VWs were notorious for being cheap as well as shite. That was in the early 90s.

Land Rovers parts currently seem* to suffer from similar.  Pop 'Land Rover britpart quality' in Google.

Never ever understood buying cheap, inferior parts. The cost of most jobs being labour, either mine or paid, so why risk having to do work again?

Like how you are going with the pre 64 (or is it 62?) repeaters etc. I really like the detailing on the 56- minors right  until the heat formed vinyl seats etc of the later ones. My ultimate minor spec would probably be a 56- example with the clap hands wipers and a nice original reg, with some low key mechanical upgrades. Just like bozza. 

50 minutes ago, Joey spud said:

FB_IMG_1604701657770.jpg.05fc25def0ac8734090e75f70b530e25.jpg

Like these ??

I am slowly collecting a set of standard rims that can be tweaked at a later date but it's the Wellers for now just not sure what colour to do them and the grill.

Those are rehooped  centres on the original centres.

Think that it was Vauxhall wheels that donated to the cause on Henry's traveller.

8 hours ago, Joey spud said:

They're the later ones i was after these ones..

https://www.morrisminorspares.com/electrical-c54/front-sidelight-flasher-c57/front-sidelight-lucas-l489-type-complete-1951-1961-p829768

Although looking at them again i don't think i could squeeze a 21w bulb into it.

You use the L488 bulb holder and rubber and the L489 lens. Alternatively you reinstate the trafficators and fit flashing LED's.

No, Morris were one of the last to abandon trafficators in 1961 and henceforth used white front red rear indicators until 1964 on the Minor. To operate the indicators with brake lights (using the same 21w filament) a Lucas DB10 relay is needed which complicates the wiring if planning to retrofit. The indicator stalk with green end is the same. My 1962 station wagon uses this system and nobody following has ever failed to understand which way I want to turn.

Love the way they complicated it with a relay.

Got a standard blinker relay in mine, the switch is complex- it has power input from the blinker unit, input from the brake switch then 4 wires out, for each light.

Did Morris ever use a switch like that or was it always via the relay?

Always via the relay. It was a late 1940's car upgraded gradually over the years. The 1000 model we are concerned with employed two types of indicator switches. The first from the 1000's introduction in 1956 until 1959 was a combined horn and trafficator switch which received a lot of criticism, so it was replaced with the now familiar green (or early orange) illuminated stalk operating trafficators/indicators only, and the horn push was moved to the centre of the steering wheel. Then the trafficators were dispensed with and the American system adopted (already used for many years on export Minors). The Home wiring loom changed to accommodate the DB10 relay which works very well. Finally, in 1964 the American system was replaced with amber indicators front and rear along with many other detail changes to the car.

A 1959 model would originally have employed trafficators but knowing what switch it had originally is harder to tell as owners changed things over the years. If there is an Indicator tell-tale light on the speedometer, or the horn push is not in the centre of the steering wheel it would have had the early type. TBH it's academic now unless you're going full-on back to standard.