Mercedes C180K

Volksy

4 hours ago, Volksy said:

New car day! 

Let's see how this goes.. 

Supermodel breakfast of coffee and fags, poo count - 1DSC_1398.thumb.JPG.2753be451bd3f12c3c770cb551b4018b.JPG

I probably don't want to know but how do you have minus 1 poo count? 

Its a HORRIBLE day out there and I was having trouble functioning. Its the first time I'd driven anywhere other than the shop in about a month and I was trying to remember how to drive a real car rather than on my PS4.  

When we set off home I forgot how to start my car, set off the alarm and locked myself in it, twice. 

Anyhow, small number of photos below:

IMG_20201003_110601.thumb.jpg.9711cb057b50741c1b420b085cef4754.jpg

Car looks really nice. Nicer version of grey than most Mercedes of that age too with a tint of blue. 

This was in the same yard

IMG_20201003_110612.thumb.jpg.adc501c0dcd4d08034ac982067054ae5.jpg

Saw this when we got home. 

IMG_20201003_122036.thumb.jpg.12f4a78f14abe73ae99589888a57a684.jpg

It had those rear lights that look like they're from a Xantia. 

bmw-e30-1987-1994-black-red-crystal-rear-lights.thumb.jpg.ac88c629c10137e6e71158fea47cadbd.jpg

Also, possibly not a good slogan in the current climate. 

IMG_20201003_105014.thumb.jpg.1b4da23e39381c98511846688ed7c444.jpg

I like wierdly specced cars. There must have been some reason why they went for a classic and they went mad on the options rather than just getting the one on the next rung. Some sort of company car quirk maybe? Or possibly a dealer order special to send punters out in it to encourage more box ticking on the new car order form?

5 hours ago, HMC said:

I like wierdly specced cars. There must have been some reason why they went for a classic and they went mad on the options rather than just getting the one on the next rung. Some sort of company car quirk maybe? Or possibly a dealer order special to send punters out in it to encourage more box ticking on the new car order form?

One would assume that, 
1st owner was Dr whatwhat of Harrogate. 

It a 'Base' Classic, with fabric rather than MB Tex trim.
Wood (Option?)

4x Electric windows (Option?)
Front and rear Park bleeps (Option?)

Electric seats (Option?)

CD with holder in the glovebox (Option?)

and numerous other stuff!

• Volksy changed the title to Mercedes C180K

I've spent two weeks with this now, and to be honest, I'm pretty impressed.

Maiden long journey was to that there London and back the other weekend. Cruise set at 72mph, quiet traffic, and it returned an average of 46.9mpg according to the computer.  On my daily commute, which is about 4 miles, this drops down to around 26/28mpg. It is the baby 1.8, but I would say that it's doing better than the old Focus.

The only issues that have raised themselves is that it will throw on the EML when warming up, I bought one of those plug in and forget OBDII bluetooth readers, and its showing a P0171 (Fuel Lean on bank 1) code. I can switch this off from my phone, and it doesn't reoccur until the exact same circumstances happen i.e. a start from cold. I'm thinking maybe a vacuum leak but haven't looked that far as yet. 

The drivers door lock does 'the dance' when locking/unlocking, which is a tiny hairclip spring in the lock. I ordered a kit to repair it (£6.50) which arrived the other day. Will get it fitted when we have some better weather.

It's quite a comfortable thing, the seats are rock hard (Merc Innit) but I didn't stop all the way back from London, but had no aches or pains after 3hrs + at the wheel.

The only grot is on the rear arches, so may look into getting these tidied up.

My front passenger door does 'the dance' too, would be interested to hear how easy the repair procedure is. 

How is the stepper motor for the heater/blower? Does it click madly for 20 seconds on startup then go quiet? 

Nice car!

Just now, Stanky said:

My front passenger door does 'the dance' too, would be interested to hear how easy the repair procedure is. 

How is the stepper motor for the heater/blower? Does it click madly for 20 seconds on startup then go quiet? 

Nice car!

It's apparently quite a fiddly job to repair the locks, the 'kit' comes with some surgical clamps (?) to hold the tiny spring when fitting. It's easier on the saloons than the coupes according to the youtube tutorial I watched the other day.

No crazy clicking from the heater system on mine - as yet. It seems to have been very well maintained, so these may have already been done, I've heard that they are a common issue on these.

On 10/3/2020 at 11:00 PM, 2MB said:

Original owner might’ve just wanted not to have a sweaty arse?

Indeed. I had a W203 as a company car back in the day. I vaguely remember that the Classic was the only trim level available that didn‘t require you to have leather seats. It actually had a high level of standard kit, at least for a Mercedes. Leccy windows, aircon and radio were all standard. Long gone the days of the W201 when even the passenger door mirror cost extra. The Kompressor engines were also nice for the time.  Smooth (for a 4 pot), powerful, economical and far quieter than the rattly C220CDI that I had.

• 11 months later...