Mk3 Golf 1.6 petrol - Cuts out under heavy throttle at low revs

MrGTI6

I've acquired a Mk3 Golf. I don't even want the sodding thing but it was bound for the crusher and I felt sorry for it. The car has a slight running issue but I'm hoping it will be something simple.

The first time you start the car up it fires up instantly and will tick over all day long, but as soon as you touch the throttle it cuts out. When restarting the engine it tends to turn over for a few seconds but always starts eventually and ticks over fine. The only way to get the revs up without the engine cutting out is to feather the throttle until it exceeds about 1300rpm. Once past that the engine revs all the way up without issue. It's fine to drive once on the move but you have to take a lot of time and effort when pulling away as it's best to keep it spinning over 1300rpm.

The car will run like this regardless of whether the engine is stone cold or up to operating temp.

As a bit of a novice, I'm guessing it's air/fuel related, but was hoping I could rack the brains of anybody who might be familiar with these cars. Perhaps this is a common fault on these engines?

Just to add, it's a 1.6 petrol on an R-reg.

If it is not a clogged fuel filter, my next stop would be the fuel pump itself. Theoretically, you could measure output pressure directly at the pump orifice and at the injector manifold. Practically, it would probably be easier to buy a new one, because pressure itself does not tell you whether it is knackered or not. It is the pressure/flow ratio. The fuel pumps tend to seize when driving/parking uphill with almost empty tank.

How much can the pump cost, I hear you all asking? Well, they are circa €15-20 for Fords.