Volvo 740 in need of a saviour

Amishtat

Some time last spring I was out about my business (delivering parcels for a well-known company with red vans) and as isn't uncommon saw something languishing on a driveway. As luck would have it that was the house I wanted so I even had an excuse to knock on the door without looking any more peculiar than usual. The lady who answered the door seemed nonplussed at my interest in her driveway ornament but you know how it goes, I left my number in case they ever got tired of it sitting there. Time passed and I forgot about it but last week I received a text from the owner to say he was looking to move it on and would rather it wasn't weighed in or killed off on the track. I agree with him but as much as I'd like it, it's the wrong time for me. Our house just sold and we need to move, my own faithful old 740 shat the bed a few weeks ago and is in the garden awaiting probable scrapping and I just don't have time or space for another, much as it tugs at my heartstrings. I've explained this to the owner but I did say I was a member of a forum which might be its saviour if he'd permit me to publicise it, to which he agreed. . It's near Harlow in Essex and apparently has been standing for six years. I doubt this will come to anything, but if a rescue appeals, pm me and I'll pass the guy's number on. 

IMG_20190603_131811.jpg

No more photos I'm afraid, had to delve in the archives to find that one. He was hoping for 250 but he'd listen to sensible offers, he knows it's not a Faberge egg. If it was an estate it would stand a greater chance of a new life but its rarity as a saloon is what turned my head in the first place. It's a 740GL,which I would imagine to be a 2.0 and I think it's an auto, but I have just texted him to confirm,and to ask what sidelined it in the first place. 

Just now, Ghosty said:

It's worth 250 of anyones money. 

When compared with the running/driving/not abandoned for the last 6 years 740 estate that Captain70s recently got for only a few tenners more than that, I doubt it.  It's weigh-in money at best, possibly less as if the owner wanted to scrap it, they'd likely have the cost of getting it collected knocked off the scrap value.

Always think the saloons of these look odd.  Unlike a saloon/hatch car that's been adapted to be an estate, but keeps the saloon/hatch rear doors, this looks like an estate that's been adapted to be a saloon, but has kept the estate rear doors.

Which it most likely is.

Eh, the Cap hit it out of the park with his though. 
740 prices have gone bonkers over the last couple of years, in 2017 I got a mint GLE estate for £650 and sold it for quite a lot more the year after.  A decent estate is well into four figures now. 
I won't deny that the saloons are the less desirable model, but for little over scrap it's well worth a shot. They're hardy and pretty easy to work on, if it cleans up well it'd be a great motor. 

19 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

740 prices have gone bonkers over the last couple of years, in 2017 I got a mint GLE estate for £650 and sold it for quite a lot more the year after.  A decent estate is well into four figures now. 
I won't deny that the saloons are the less desirable model, but for little over scrap it's well worth a shot. They're hardy and pretty easy to work on, if it cleans up well it'd be a great motor. 

WHS. Before very long (and I do mean not very long, just look what some of the nicer examples are up for on ebay and the like. Doesn't mean they're selling at that price, but the days of usable ones for under about a grand are numbered. Mark my words) there won't be any cheap 7 or 9 series Volvos left, the banger boys are working their way through them at quite a rate. The saloon is less desirable because it's perceived as less useful than an the estates which have a deserved reputation all their own. For the little my two pennorth is worth however, I've had a 740 saloon for the last five and a half years and it's never not been big enough. Until its recent head gasket malady, every one of the few problems I've had have been easily and economically fixed with secondhand bits, primarily from my local banger racers. I know, irony or what.. My point is, for a few hundred quid and a few weekends of fucking about, I reckon this deserves to live again. But for the circumstances already mentioned, it would be on my driveway right now. 

6 hours ago, Amishtat said:

If it had a three pointed star or a blue oval people would be going spack over it. It's no less a machine than its equivalent Mercedes and it's a different league to any Ford. The owner has just replied to me, it's a 2 litre automatic and it only came off the road because he got a more economical runaround. 

I wish people were wetting their knickers over my three pointed star.

I don't think I've ever had less interest in a car I was trying to sell.

Hope the 740 gets saved though.

6 hours ago, Out Run said:

Terribly proportioned and overly thirsty to name just two things.

I’ve never seen the appeal - and I have been around them. 

I think it was designed for the U S of A 

That style of proportion was popular in the  70s and 80s other there. 

Six-cylinder and I had a 1988 740 GLE saloon for a long time. 'Green Car' was bought originally as a running spares supply for 'Gold Car', our 1988 740GLE estate. 'Green Car' was far too good to break though so we ran both of them together. When my parents' car failed to proceed, they needed new reliable transport. Both 740s went off to serve them and did so for many years.

Oddly, the pale metallic green and blue 740GLEs came with velour seats as standard, whereas the other colours had leather. 'Green Car' had dark green velour seats, while 'Gold Car' had black leather.

Green Car:

Volvo 744GLE A Lt green Broad.jpg

Gold Car:

Volvo 745GLE A gold broad.jpg

Hopefully someone will save this, they are starting to get thinner on the ground nowadays, especially the early cars. Very very capable and comfortable cars still too, if you can stand the fuel economy! I would imagine this one probably won’t need much beyond basic recommissioning (brakes freeing off etc) if that’s the only reason it came off the road. 

Id love to take it on myself tbh, but I’ve got no space left, but I’ll gladly put some cash in a pot for a group buy??

Auto is good news; 2 litre less so, but hey...  If I was closer (and had money, and space...) I'd have grabbed it by now.  Actually on-street space isn't the issue it might be, because there's plenty in the street round the corner.  They've got a railway line on one side, so no houses.

I do like a 740, particularly the saloon.  I've been trying to justify this one but the fact it's essentially a project car makes it unsuitable just at the moment.  The last thing I need is yet another project car, though it would likely make a very good winter beater which is what I ideally need right now.  I'm not massively keen on autos, though it does suit these, and the fuel economy isn't going to be any worse than what I'm used to.  Awkward one really, because once sorted it should give you decent returns on that £250 initial investment.

On 10/2/2020 at 9:36 PM, Talbot said:

When compared with the running/driving/not abandoned for the last 6 years 740 estate that Captain70s recently got for only a few tenners more than that, I doubt it.  I

On 10/2/2020 at 9:41 PM, Ghosty said:

Mine was cheap but it's also tired. 180k, least powerful engine, oldest autobox, saggy rear springs, rusty sills etc. I reckon seeing it through another MOT will bring my total investment to £600ish and with a fresh ticket and a bit of a tidy it'd probably fetch £800-1000 if I were to sell it. It's certainly not the norm to find a road legal 740 for £300 any more...

I'd say £250-400 is probably about right provided it's not utterly rotten, I suspect having been sat that amount of time it's going to need plenty of work to get it to a usable state. Hopefully it survives, saloons are an uncommon spot...