Shite from the TV that has/hasn’t survived

sierraman

Screenshot_20201002-135047_Google.thumb.jpg.8c49cd36f4f0c88d3db27571d77acd62.jpgScreenshot_20201002-135024_Google.thumb.jpg.b3a6f1c7ec83f6bce7049f38b67d9cab.jpg

Cars from the TV series UFO. Unlikely ever to turn a wheel again. I am aware that moulds were taken from Straker's car to build a replica before the earth claims it.

There was a similar car from the film journey to the far side of the sun which was in the process of being saved - several years ago.

14 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

I've heard at least one truck & one Plymouth Valiant from Duel survive.  I think the truck was bought by one of the stunt drivers when filming ended.

Wasn’t aware of the valiant surviving. Supposedly at Mystery Mesa where the final ravine scene was filmed there’s still some twisted bits of the truck left. 

6 hours ago, Wilko220 said:

IMCDb.org: 1987 Ford Sierra 1.6 L MkII in "A Touch of Frost, 1992-2010"

IMCDb.org: 1984 Volvo 240 DL [245] in "A Touch of Frost, 1992-2010"

Both of Detective Inspector Frost's bangers appear to have died and given their registration numbers to other vehicles.

His shite car choice still makes him my favourite TV cop.

Frost repeats are shite-rich, pretty well all vehicles were anonymous 90s street furniture.

22 hours ago, sierraman said:

Wasn’t aware of the valiant surviving. Supposedly at Mystery Mesa where the final ravine scene was filmed there’s still some twisted bits of the truck left. 

Since I've posted this I was doing a bit of research & couldn't find where I read about a Valiant surviving (I might be mistaken about that!)  but at least one truck survives.

One was written off crashing into the ravine, and another one was kept by Universal & used for a few other productions before being scrapped.

It's a little confusing because the school bus & train scenes were filmed later on when it was expanded from a telemovie to a full film.  As the original car & truck had been written off some others were required.

Also the final footage was used in an episode of the Incredible Hulk, possibly the retained truck was used to shoot some linking shots.

When I first moved to the US I went to look at an ex-Dukes of Hazzard ‘car’ - where the term car is used in its most loose. The front end had been replaced after it had been bananaed from filming. Had photos of it before and after it’s use along with signatures of the duke boys lacquered on the dash (no Daisy - the deal breaker ha ha ha).  
The interior was little more than a couple of battered black generic bucket seats and a cage, all original (allegedly) and all badly sprayed orange. At the time it was a little over £10k. Luckily I bought a used Elise instead (random huh!). 
Why luckily? Well I live in Minneapolis - I can only imagine the hate it would have seen during the George Floyd riots. 

On 10/2/2020 at 8:59 PM, wesacosa said:

I sat in the seat once occupied by Keeley Hawes when this Ashes to Ashes Triumph Dolomite sold at ACA in about 2010

Currently SORN

That's been for sale once or twice since then. One of those sales included some props from the show, iirc one of them was a warrant card.  

A Russet Brown 1850HL used in Ashes to Ashes showed up on eBay a few years ago too - they'd used three brown Dolomites for an episode of series 2, one was trashed with a crane, I remember reading that it was rotten beyond saving. The one that showed up on eBay had been resprayed - it was brown on the outside, but the door shuts, under the bonnet etc were all dark blue, and it'd gained some Sprint alloys, it was on steels and black hubcaps on screen. No idea if it's still about.

One of the A2A Quattros was sold on eBay in 2014, as a charity auction for Comic Relief or Children in Need iirc. It made about 40k, and had some bullet holes in it. 
Prior to that I think it'd been sitting around at Television Centre since filming ended in about 2010. 
There's no way of knowing if it's still about as the real reg was never revealed, it was pictured for sale with the infamous Datsun plate, JLY751V, and the internet doesn't have a clue, after the eBay auction it vanished. 

The Life on Mars Cortina was sold in the same manner after filming, it was fairly high profile for a year or so afterwards but fell off the radar not long after. Its screen plate KJM212K has no results on DVLA or any reg checkers, but I think it was a fake plate. 

4 hours ago, Ghosty said:

That's been for sale once or twice since then. One of those sales included some props from the show, iirc one of them was a warrant card.  

A Russet Brown 1850HL used in Ashes to Ashes showed up on eBay a few years ago too - they'd used three brown Dolomites for an episode of series 2, one was trashed with a crane, I remember reading that it was rotten beyond saving. The one that showed up on eBay had been resprayed - it was brown on the outside, but the door shuts, under the bonnet etc were all dark blue, and it'd gained some Sprint alloys, it was on steels and black hubcaps on screen. No idea if it's still about.

One of the A2A Quattros was sold on eBay in 2014, as a charity auction for Comic Relief or Children in Need iirc. It made about 40k, and had some bullet holes in it. 
Prior to that I think it'd been sitting around at Television Centre since filming ended in about 2010. 
There's no way of knowing if it's still about as the real reg was never revealed, it was pictured for sale with the infamous Datsun plate, JLY751V, and the internet doesn't have a clue, after the eBay auction it vanished. 

The Life on Mars Cortina was sold in the same manner after filming, it was fairly high profile for a year or so afterwards but fell off the radar not long after. Its screen plate KJM212K has no results on DVLA or any reg checkers, but I think it was a fake plate. 

One of the cars was definitely sitting around Television Centre for a while, I had a photo from my folks some time c. 2013 of it while they were queuing to be in the audience for something.

I used to be a massive fan of A2A, because of which I am sad enough to I think remember the original plates of both Quattros  - APH55Y and HWX930Y - I think it was the latter that was 'murdered' on screen.

Both are SORNed with the former looking likely to be under a Boris MOT.

Not quite TV, but in that big auction in Worcestershire earlier this year that was covered on Smith and Sniff, I spotted the blue Dolomite from the music video of 4 Minutes by Madonna, looking quite ropey (maybe as a result of having an older lady bouncing around on top of it, I'm not quite sure) - auction listing reckons it went for £180, I'd like to think it's being saved but I reckon it might not be long for this world.

5 hours ago, Ghosty said:

The Dolomite was a bit rough when I saw it , with no mot. I was going with the intention of a cheeky bid but made strong money from what I remember

It was definitely a fake plate on the Cortina as it was actually a later 2000E with a 2000GXL grille and headlights fitted so would have really been on an post 74 reg.   if you look closely it still has the 2000E badges on the rear pillars and doesn't have the super cool sloped dash

20201004_102730.jpg

On 10/2/2020 at 1:06 PM, Tre3 said:

There was a bar in Nottingham that had a Volvo in it. Allegedly it was the original from The Saint (the bar was called Templars). I drank in there a lot in the 90s (I was dating one of the barmaids). It became a bit studenty and the barmaid and I split up so I stopped going. 15-20 or so years later the building burnt down (it was above a restaurant). No idea if the car was still in there or not. It was the last time I went. It was pretty good condition too.

I was a student in Nottingham 2006-09. I think I remember Templars, not totally sure I'm thinking of the right place as I was drunk most of the time, but over those 3 years I went to every bar in the city and I definitely don't remember there being a car in any of them, sadly.

There's a sports bar in central London with a genuine F1 car suspended from the ceiling, 90s model I think, again my memory of the place is a little hazy... 

15 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Gavin and Stacey ovloV sold two years ago

image.png.1c1370986c88f4eefe451871dd430416.png

Current tax and test

Smithy originally had a red Volvo but between series it was written off in an accident.  It was probably leased from a company that supplies cars for TV & films as it also appeared in Abraham's Point.

On 04/10/2020 at 09:48, Markeh said:

Not quite TV, but in that big auction in Worcestershire earlier this year that was covered on Smith and Sniff, I spotted the blue Dolomite from the music video of 4 Minutes by Madonna, looking quite ropey (maybe as a result of having an older lady bouncing around on top of it, I'm not quite sure)

Despite being very down with the kids etc, this video was a new one on me, but I just enjoyed* catching up with it

image.png.e3d6ceba3aca301959aaef7136b46db8.png

According to DVLA, the Sceptre hasn't been taxed since 2006

15 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

Smithy originally had a red Volvo but between series it was written off in an accident.  It was probably leased from a company that supplies cars for TV & films as it also appeared in Abraham's Point.

I remember reading an interview where Corden explained Smithy having a Volvo not a van was because he’s only got a girls licence. Presumably why he went to LA.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:42 AM, Wilko220 said:

IMCDb.org: 1987 Ford Sierra 1.6 L MkII in "A Touch of Frost, 1992-2010"

IMCDb.org: 1984 Volvo 240 DL [245] in "A Touch of Frost, 1992-2010"

Both of Detective Inspector Frost's bangers appear to have died and given their registration numbers to other vehicles.

His shite car choice still makes him my favourite TV cop.

There was a production company ( Carnival ) that used to lob random plates on cars used in the shows - so trying to trace the cars used was nigh on impossible as the reg numbers already belonged to cast and crew on different cars.
Im not sure if its a common trick or not as I never encountered it before Bugs being filmed in Limehouse.
That might be a thing that happened here as neither plate seems particularly desirable.

I was trying to find some photos of the Jeep in the series that took its plate from a transit van, but this guy seems to have done some research on the cars & plates.

The TVR Tuscan from Swordfish! survived in the UK and remained on the road till 2010 but ive not been able to trace the current whereabouts.
TVR sent two over to the USA, both sporting UK (Preston) plates and were surprised when they were used in the film.
One was actually shot up and crashed and didnt make it back to the UK.
2000-TVR-Tuscan.jpg.db2a7af1095fb59ca5bbe38bce62fba7.jpg