Shite from the TV that has/hasn’t survived

sierraman

That's true actually.On the C4 30th anniversary documentary one of the production crew stated he locked the warehouse on the last day with all 9 cars still inside hence why I think there are genuine survivors out there. Proving it would be very difficult however.

Back in 1981 - I entered the competition in the Tv times to win the Green Matra Rancho used by Jack Douglas in the Shillingbury tales - I didnt win it...but was gutted when I didn't!  Whilst it wasn't showing  up as taxed for a number of years - it was only 2010 when it finally met the grim reaper. 😢

From the similar television era - unlike many I was very partial to a bit of Triangle starring Kate o Mara. In this she was gifted by her father a brand spanking new early spec Ice blue Saab 900 turbo - always thought they were the dogs danglers when they came out - would still love one. It was probably a Saab UK press car - it lasted until 2001.

_20201001_093840.JPG

sketch-1601541771983.png

I wonder if any of the cars used in Auf Wiedersehen Pet have survived. Barry's HA van is said on the various AWP fan sites to still exist but no one has actually seen it, and Dennis's VW Microbus from series 2 is also rumoured to survive but is long untaxed. Wayne's BMW is dead but its original Dusseldorf numberplates were found by a collector, and I suspect Oz's knackered Zephyr from episode 1 didn't last much longer.

3 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

I wonder if any of the cars used in Auf Wiedersehen Pet have survived. Barry's HA van is said on the various AWP fan sites to still exist but no one has actually seen it, and Dennis's VW Microbus from series 2 is also rumoured to survive but is long untaxed. Wayne's BMW is dead but its original Dusseldorf numberplates were found by a collector, and I suspect Oz's knackered Zephyr from episode 1 didn't last much longer.

I heard that Timothy Spall bought Barry's Triumph Bonneville after the first series ended but he sold it to a friend after crashing it, & it was later stolen & never recovered.

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_86665-Auf-Wiedersehen,-Pet.html

This is a great site for looking up cars from films & TV.

1 hour ago, outlaw118 said:

UFO car as seen at a show in Canvey Island last year; rescued from The Balearics, being used as a mobile disco....

IMG_20190811_110200.jpg.77a7cbe66b93285d6f73ba642a910689.jpg

Yup,that's the one that was found abandoned in a boat yard.Lovely restoration,glad it's made it back home.LHD which is interesting.

Big screen rather than small screen, but this unexpectedly showed up at a local auction house three years ago...

862858568_BiffsBMW-WilsonsOct2017.thumb.jpg.9f6cf9ffc0428fe60df8f969eabbfb54.jpg

Yes, apparently it's the genuine modified BMW 6 series that appeared as Griff Tannen's car in Back To The Future Pt II.

942175599_BiffsBMW-BTTF2.thumb.jpg.d4e5ea7f7fd7bc61c99f5a043c687eb6.jpg

It had been restored in the US in the early 2000s, then somehow been bought by some species of businessman from Northern Ireland who had a thing for collecting movie memorabilia... now, I can't recall if it was a bankruptcy sale or a criminal assets disposal sale, but either way this ended up at the auction block in an industrial estate on the edge of Belfast...

Though no roof and the Ulster climate in October wasn't a great combo. You'd have thought they'd have stored it inside, or at least thrown a tarp over it.

953779879_BiffsBMW-WilsonsOct20172.thumb.jpg.9860a174820ba39bae4ef8e147de41fb.jpg

No idea where it might be living these days.

8 hours ago, Dan the van said:

The Italian Job minis all had fake plates in the film.The builders of the replicas managed to buy the relevant uninssued reg numbers from DVLA and created the cars on brand new Heritage bodyshells.Effectively new cars on private plates.They used at least 9 different Cooper S's during filming,there is a very good chance that somewhere someone has a genuine original car but doesn't realise.The coach was scrapped in the nineties I believe after being re fitted with seats and going back into service.A replica of this also exists.

There's a replica of the coach near Wolverhampton, it belongs to a guy who restores vintage Rollers and Bentleys for a living.  He's also got a replica of the Ford Thames van (unless he's recently sold them) along with all sorts of other oddball stuff in his yard.

4 hours ago, Dan the van said:

Yup,that's the one that was found abandoned in a boat yard.Lovely restoration,glad it's made it back home.LHD which is interesting.

If i recall all the cars in UFO were LHD.

Presumably Gerry Anderson thought the U.S. cooler or something.

8 hours ago, Dan the van said:

That's true actually.On the C4 30th anniversary documentary one of the production crew stated he locked the warehouse on the last day with all 9 cars still inside hence why I think there are genuine survivors out there. Proving it would be very difficult however.

The Aston certainly survives as does the red E type. The Orange Lamborghini that was thrown off the cliff disappeared before it could be picked up.

44 minutes ago, Dan the van said:

The E type is quite a famous car.It was the very first convertible built and on completion was driven by Norman Dewis overnight to debut at the Geneva motor show.I wonder if any of the Mafias Fiat Dinos are still about.Pretty car.

Another bit of useless trivia, Peter Collinson the director brought one of the mafia Fiat Dino back home with him, ran it for a few years until it dissolved. The only surviving parts being the doors which he kept for years in his garage.

Italian job cars- letter in last months c&sc. I forget the details but a when they wrapped filming they sold stuff off cheap- a mechanic from london ended up With 2 Alfa police cars that he paid £200 for apparently. Our letter writer was trying, shortly after, to buy one of these but they couldn’t come to an agreement on price. In theory they could have them been uk registered, and presumably dissolved in the rain in about 1973.

The red Italian job etype  jag “848cry” was bought by publisher Phillip porter in 1977. iirc In a deal with about 5 other old e types (including 9600hp, the main reason for the purchase) , by which point it had become a sort of yellow colour Colour.

The Aston db4 dhc “163elt” I think is still around and presumably even wrecked (which in fact a substituted and dressed up Lancia was) would be now worth something crazy.

I believe Ford Mondeo driven by DCI Barnaby in first seasons of Midsomer Murders survived and, IIRC, it was recently-ish sold on charity auction. Dunno about the crap (Over 75 etc.) he drove later.

Sadly, I cannot imagine this will ever push the prices of Mondeos to absurd height achieved by Capri used in Professionals.

11 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

I've heard at least one truck & one Plymouth Valiant from Duel survive.  I think the truck was bought by one of the stunt drivers when filming ended.

4 hours ago, Bitzer said:

I believe Ford Mondeo driven by DCI Barnaby in first seasons of Midsomer Murders survived and, IIRC, it was recently-ish sold on charity auction. Dunno about the crap (Over 75 etc.) he drove later.

Sadly, I cannot imagine this will ever push the prices of Mondeos to absurd height achieved by Capri used in Professionals.

I recall seeing one of the 75s at Pride of Longbridge a few years ago.  Which according to this old C&C advert was the last surviving one.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C330686

There was a bar in Nottingham that had a Volvo in it. Allegedly it was the original from The Saint (the bar was called Templars). I drank in there a lot in the 90s (I was dating one of the barmaids). It became a bit studenty and the barmaid and I split up so I stopped going. 15-20 or so years later the building burnt down (it was above a restaurant). No idea if the car was still in there or not. It was the last time I went. It was pretty good condition too.